Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 AM

Worst ride yesterday.

It’s been windy here a lot lately. It’s calmer if you go out earlier but I’m not an early riser.

I usually try to pick a route that enables me to have a tailwind on the return leg of an out and back route but that’s not always possible.

I have a mantra that I repeat when my forward momentum slows and my frustration grows:

When you’re behind me I go faster; when you’re against me I get stronger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram

Last edited by m_moses; 01-22-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Happens to a lot of us. The next ride is always better.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:25 AM

I was not trying to downplay wind.. I am very prone to getting down by those super persistent winds myself.

Nothing more frustrating than heading over a slight incline with a brutal headwind and you feel like you're not accomplishing/earning much through all your effort, and you feel slow.

Then you get over the crest of the incline and the headwind is such you can't really go any faster on the downhill. That's the worst!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 AM

The hardest is when you have very strong crosswinds that threaten to push you over into heavy traffic or over the low railing of a bridge. That takes all your concentration and leaves no room for enjoyment.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
We've all been there.

Wind be like:

And I be like:

Brilliant.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You didn't crash, you didn't get hurt, the temps weren't freezing, it wasn't raining or snowing, sounds like you didn't get road chemicals all over your bike, sounds like no one flipped you off or tried to run you off the road.

So look on the bright side.. the wind is not the worst thing that could happen. I'd love to go for the ride you got right now.
👆🏼 True!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Well c’mon up to NY state where in a still day in January your riding speed of 15-20 mph will give you an effective wind chill of 15-20 deg F, if not lower.
Yes, I am from Mass, Watertown, and know very well how bad this time of year can be!

I think my BIG problem is i cannot come to grips with my age, 67. I think i am 30-something, and am “disappointed” i cannot put out the power i once did. Somehow I have to be able to deal with this, I just dont know how....
Old 01-21-2021, 10:43 AM

Did you double flat? If not, it was a "good" ride.

I grew up in northern Colorado, massive winds. I developed a love/hate relationship with it. I always started my ride into the wind to finish with a tail wind. It still check the winds to determine what ride I'll do.

Last edited by Hellgate; 01-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
Yes, I am from Mass, Watertown, and know very well how bad this time of year can be!

I think my BIG problem is i cannot come to grips with my age, 67. I think i am 30-something, and am “disappointed” i cannot put out the power i once did. Somehow I have to be able to deal with this, I just dont know how....
You and be both, brother! "Only" 66 and coming off knee replacement; still have Walter Mitty moments for sure.

Saw my PT/friend/fellow cyclist/nordic skier and ultra runner professionally today. He's coming off foot surgery and we both talked about my good fortune to be out on the road bike three times last week here in WI. All 75-105 minutes long; one with lots of wind, another rain started 5 min in and I said "screw it, I'm out riding and my clothing is fine," and the third was sunny and mid 30s -- downright balmy. Enjoyed them all in different ways. So blessed to be able to get out!
Old 01-21-2021, 11:21 AM

Had similar thoughts the past few days as we've had crazy high winds in SoCal....but then I thought to myself: it's still 70 degrees and sunny. I'll take a windy warm January over real winter any day.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:44 PM

Well, if you got home in one piece and had the ability to write about how crappy your ride was, just keep reminding yourself it could've been a whole lot worse.

Was expecting to be reading about something other than headwind. Glad that's all it was. Good time to practice your aero position, or try out some aero clothing or component.

Being on the somewhat heavier of the spectrum, I always look at headwind as my friend. I can bash through it easier than those 130# climbers.

Last edited by tv_vt; 01-21-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:56 PM

I live next to Lake Michigan. 60 miles wide of nothing but wind. Sure, there's calm days of course. But like others said, I check the wind direction each day I go out so I can hopefully have a tailwind on the way home.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:21 PM

The wind just "is", man. The wind giveth and taketh away.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:39 PM

Ride to Conquer Cancer 2015

I was doing my third Ride to conquer cancer Vancouver BC to Seattle in 2015. We happened to get the MAJOR storm that day. Thousands of houses without power for many days. Roads are covered with tree branches and leaves. Sirens (fire trucks and an ambulances) all the time. Surreal.
We were supposed to ride 120km that day and only did 70km. The winds eventually became so severe that the route had to be closed ☹ Honestly, it was impossible to push pedals it was so strong. People were falling (blown over). A woman and her father were hit by a tree during the storm and their bicycles were destroyed.
So, cyclists were bussed to our overnight camp and that camp looked surreal – tens of tents were flying around all over the Fairgrounds, it was not possible to anchor them, portable toilets were on their sides. Riders were directed to sleep in the barns. That was something for sure. Never seen anything like that.

Last edited by bil; 01-21-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post

I have those days though I am only 56.

I don't love the wind but have to deal with a fair amount of it and where I live does not offer me much opportunity to chose direction. On windy days I eat more than a regular ride, chomping a chew or eating a Gu more than I would "normally." Sugar doping if you will.

I also think about the fact that in the not so distant future I will have one of those days where I feel super human and invincible.

Yin and yang and all that.

Humans