Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2020, 05:05 PM

Do I need a Pegoretti in my life?

Stupid question, I know. Hear me out.

I keep clicking on that Marcelo in the classifieds. The idea of adding a high end steel bike to my stable is very appealing but I am not sure if I will ride it...

I had a one-bike stable for almost a year - Spesh SL6 Tarmac disc. I hated the S brand prior but this is a phenomenal bike. It truly does everything well. It's not a light bike but feels light on any terrain. Fast on flats and comfy AF. What else can I ask for?

I recently bit the bullet on a gravel bike rolling 2.1" 650b tires. Having a blast and best of all, it makes me fall in love with the Tarmac all over again every time I switch between the two.

With these two bikes in the stable, something "retro" seems logical, but I had a Moots Compact SL (full chorus, Belgium+CK ceramic hubs) before which I loved looking at but honestly never understood why people sang its praises so much. It rode "nice" and that's about it. I could ride it all day, but I couldn't find anything inspirational about it.

Will I feel the same about the Peg? I am sure I will want to sleep with it in the bedroom but will I find a special place for it in my heart that my other two bikes can't fill?
Old 12-09-2020, 05:09 PM

I find it so interesting to hear your thoughts. I had a spesh and a Moots. But I was in the exact opposite boat as you. I liked looking at the Spesh hanging in the garage. Just looking at it made me feel fast. But I hated the way it rode -- harsh, wooden, and souless. The Moots by contrast was a ride that was sublime.

In short, I doubt anyone but yourself can answer your question. If the Peg itch remains, scratch it. There is nothing like finding out for yourself if you have the means.

Life is short to not ride the bikes that you want to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrcr View Post
Stupid question, I know. Hear me out.

I keep clicking on that Marcelo in the classifieds. The idea of adding a high end steel bike to my stable is very appealing but I am not sure if I will ride it...

I had a one-bike stable for almost a year - Spesh SL6 Tarmac disc. I hated the S brand prior but this is a phenomenal bike. It truly does everything well. It's not a light bike but feels light on any terrain. Fast on flats and comfy AF. What else can I ask for?

I recently bit the bullet on a gravel bike rolling 2.1" 650b tires. Having a blast and best of all, it makes me fall in love with the Tarmac all over again every time I switch between the two.

With these two bikes in the stable, something "retro" seems logical, but I had a Moots Compact SL (full chorus, Belgium+CK ceramic hubs) before which I loved looking at but honestly never understood why people sang its praises so much. It rode "nice" and that's about it. I could ride it all day, but I couldn't find anything inspirational about it.

Will I feel the same about the Peg? I am sure I will want to sleep with it in the bedroom but will I find a special place for it in my heart that my other two bikes can't fill?
Old 12-09-2020, 05:10 PM

Yes.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:15 PM

A Mxxxxxo is phenomenal bike. It is one of those bikes that just translates your effort into forward motion. It is a stiff steel bike, but still manages to feel smooth.

The Duende and Responsorium are both very nice riding bikes. They both do everything well and will put a smile on your face, but not the all out holy $#!+ feeling that you get from the Mxxxxxo IME.

It sounds like the SL6 probably has the middle
ground covered and that the Mxxxxxo would be the one to try out if you do take the plunge. It is one of those bikes that is definitely worth trying at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 PM

Yes, but it should be a Luigino. Otherwise I'd say pursue a full steel frame and fork from another master of the trade. Kirk, Sachs, Ellis, DiNucci, Rex, or others past and present build complete framesets that sing a special song because they are an integrated whole. A carbon fork is a compromise, usually made for cost or weight considerations, or because the builder doesn't know how to make a good steel fork. IMHO, if you already have a disc carbon wunderbik, there's no reason to go half-way and pursue a steel frame with a carbon fork. The Falz is great, don't get me wrong - so much nicer than ENVE, but it doesn't hold a candle to a steel fork that is tuned for your weight and made to match the frame it's going on.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Yes. And twice on Sundays. Pegs are special.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:26 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
Yes.
Stunningly surprising response from The Paceline … what did you expect?

I concur, though personally, as much as I love Joe Bell's work and that one is a really nice example, it would feel wrong to me to have a Peg painted by someone else.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Riding Along

Sounds like you are looking for a bike that you will have an emotional bond with. If pegs scratch that itch then go for it. If you are trying hard to find that connection then you may want to pass.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I had a Moots Compact SL (full chorus, Belgium+CK ceramic hubs) before which I loved looking at but honestly never understood why people sang its praises so much. It rode "nice" and that's about it. I could ride it all day, but I couldn't find anything inspirational about it.
I still have a disc vamoots and a routt, but agree with you 100% - Every bike I have checks boxes that none of the moots ever could. Not sure what it is, they all have similar parts on them. YOLO. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
A Mxxxxxo is phenomenal bike. It is one of those bikes that just translates your effort into forward motion. It is a stiff steel bike, but still manages to feel smooth.

The Duende and Responsorium are both very nice riding bikes. They both do everything well and will put a smile on your face, but not the all out holy $#!+ feeling that you get from the Mxxxxxo IME.

It sounds like the SL6 probably has the middle
ground covered and that the Mxxxxxo would be the one to try out if you do take the plunge. It is one of those bikes that is definitely worth trying at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This sounds pretty compelling to me. I am a huge sucker for how a bike feels when I am out of the saddle. I want to feel it talk back to me depending on how much business I give it. Even when I am just standing up to rest my legs on a climb, I don't want to feel punished by the bike.

One good example is I recently test rode the 3T Exploro, and the bottom half of that bike was so stout, the BB felt so dead and stationary everytime I got out of the saddle. I guess that'd feel ok in a crit but those days are far behind me now.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I still have a disc vamoots and a routt, but agree with you 100% - Every bike I have checks boxes that none of the moots ever could. Not sure what it is, they all have similar parts on them. YOLO. Good luck with your decision.
Right? I was so stoked to find the SL in my size, but as much as I told myself it was the grail and I should love it, I couldn't. Weird.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:01 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Right? I was so stoked to find the SL in my size, but as much as I told myself it was the grail and I should love it, I couldn't. Weird.
we are different in what we like

one man's ceiling is another man's floor and all of that ...

the good news about the peg is if you did buy it you could more easily sell it.

it's fun to try different bikes. I've had a few people rave about and for me they were just ok. maybe it's me?
Old 12-09-2020, 06:02 PM

Please, please, please, don't mention a Marcello. I've recently acquired an yearning for a Love #3.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:03 PM

Expensive, but top of the line wall art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFFDC027-D173-4B15-A927-1080F5DCB9AF.jpg (111.4 KB, 702 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yes, but it should be a Luigino. Otherwise I'd say pursue a full steel frame and fork from another master of the trade. Kirk, Sachs, Ellis, DiNucci, Rex, or others past and present build complete framesets that sing a special song because they are an integrated whole. A carbon fork is a compromise, usually made for cost or weight considerations, or because the builder doesn't know how to make a good steel fork. IMHO, if you already have a disc carbon wunderbik, there's no reason to go half-way and pursue a steel frame with a carbon fork. The Falz is great, don't get me wrong - so much nicer than ENVE, but it doesn't hold a candle to a steel fork that is tuned for your weight and made to match the frame it's going on.
Pegs have never appealed to me visually (and I am a strong proponent of bike as art) except for the Luigino. I saw one at the Bisbee Bike Brothel and thought, “now that’s a Pegoretti to own”. I’m sure it’s the lugs and the fork crown. I’d like to hear how owners compare rides of this or other models to other high end steel.