Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 11:53 AM

Aeron. Done.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 AM

You can find lightly used Herman Miller mirras, I like mine.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Aeron all day long. I work at many places and once in a while there are some offices that like to cheap out and get a crappy chair. a few days later my back is KILLING me, then I get back to an office with Aerons and its bliss.

They are expensive but they are worth it. I wish I had one at my home office now that I am working from home (I just could not justify since I rarely used to work at home but now I wish I had bought one years ago).
Have you also happened to tried a Mirra chair by chance?

I guess one thing that may be an issue (for Herman Millers) is that the metallic borders to which the mesh is attached may get irksome. Then again, might just be a non-issue.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
Aerons are great chairs, and 100% rebuildable. Since they were the standard office chair for so long, you can pick up used or damaged ones on craigslist for a song, replace the broken pieces, and have yourself a great chair for little money and some elbow grease.
Great idea! Here's one on ebay that looks like it's the victim of Burrito Bowl Wednesday.

(And note, there are some questionable deals on ebay -- new chairs being offered at $25ish prices. Those sure look like scams...sellers with 0 prior feedback. Be careful!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 12.58.58 PM.jpg (72.6 KB, 188 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-20-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM

I got my mirra for free and replaced the bottom for like $90
Old 05-20-2020, 12:33 PM

I just bought a Steelcase Leap V2 used for about 25% of retail.

My recommendation would be to poll Craigslist, Facebook market place or whatever local used site is popular in your area for someone who resells office furniture.

After research it pretty well came down to Herman Miller (Aeron, Embody, Mirra) and Steelcase (Leap V2).

Alternatively the Ikea Markus gets great review as a task chair:
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/markus-...gray-90289172/
Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 PM

Check out this detailed review: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair/

I've been working from home for the past two months. I like the chair I have at the office, the Haworth Zody, so I went looking for it and found it for $374 at a refurb seller called SeatingMind.com. They offer free shipping. Again, the company-provided chair is very comfortable. The refurb version I bought arrived without the lumbar support, and no seat angle adjustment, which was weird. I sent it back, again with free shipping. YMMV--someone else might get a good chair at 1/2 to 2/3 off.

My wife took the reins and ordered the Wirecutter's budget pick, the Hon Exposure for $289. It arrived yesterday, but without the gas cylinder (the central pillar between the base and the seat)
They're sending me a new one.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:54 PM

MH Aeron. I have the same chair at work and home. I picked up the home one used for about half off, $450.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Have a Leap and an Aeron. Leap is more adjustable, but chunkier compared to the Aeron. Perhaps slight comfort edge for comfort to the Leap and style to the Aeron. Both are mighty comfortable. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Aeron due to its styling and ability to stay clean (the Leap is cloth and traps stains and dirt).

Last edited by Brusselsprouts; 05-20-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Loved my Herman Miller Aeron when I worked in the office.
Was going to order one when I went WAH a year ago but bought this to get me by as I had a lot of other expenses at the time https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...Mesh-Mid-Back/

Have to say, for the money, this the Office Depot WorkPro is a solid option. I'm a year in with it and I have no reason to replace it.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Quick search in CL shows a lot of HM Aeron availability from $250+. Seems like they are large reseller/supplier. How do I know if they are authentic?
Old 05-20-2020, 03:08 PM

I just bought a used Aeron from a Craigslist seller who had 20 to choose from.
I recommend sitting on them and checking out which you like the best and what feels the most solid. I am happy with my purchase ($350/mint) but was glad I had the chance to try first and avoid the ($100.00) shipping charge most non local sellers are charging.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post
I just bought a used Aeron from a Craigslist seller who had 20 to choose from.
I recommend sitting on them and checking out which you like the best and what feels the most solid. I am happy with my purchase ($350/mint) but was glad I had the chance to try first and avoid the ($100.00) shipping charge most non local sellers are charging.
I expect you'll see a lot of office equipment showing up on the market over the next few months as companies choose to move some workers to fulltime WFM status.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-20-2020, 05:15 PM
v a n i l l a

OT: buying a new office chair

Aeron mesh seat/back cuts both ways. Cooler in summer but also doesn’t trap heat in winter. That’s the worst thing I can say about it. it’s a great chair for my needs
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM

I’ve been using the same Aeron daily for 21 years now. Even if you pay full retail it’s hard to beat the amortization on that.