Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Love the Aeropress, especially for any traveling since they're pretty much indestructible. But I second the pour over for the amount of brew you end up with.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I'd never heard of it! I usually google 'coffee roasters' so this has never come up. What were their roast dates like?
They appear to stock coffee from two of my favourite European shops: The Barn from Berlin and Tim Wendleboe from Oslo, so I'm absolutely gonna go today. TW also is probably one of the coolest coffee shop I've ever been to. The aeropress bar was something to behold.

I've been drinking a Demitasse Ethiopian this week from Constellation Coffee in La Cañada. Easily the nicest filter beans I've had in a long time roasted by a US roaster.
The Morgon was 12-17-2020 and Nomad was 01-04-2021. I think I got them about Jan 6/7th.

The Dayglow person told me to check out 9 Bar in Culver City in terms of local roasters. Hadn't heard of them and also haven't been yet.

Enjoy.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:51 PM

I won't lie, lately we've mostly used this, $20 and it just works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb.jpg (37.5 KB, 259 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:22 AM

I got the Flair Bottomless Portafilter + temperature sticker in the mail this morning.

It seems like I can make it work with my inexpensive grinder.. I am close to the maximum "fine" setting on my grinder, I only have about 3 clicks to go, but I got a decent shot with Crema (though maybe not as much as the PPF) out of my first attempt so it seems like I'm in business.

Seems like the BPF really forces you to realize whether you're applying the correct amount of force and to get you to pre-infuse correctly. Pull down too hard before the coffee has infused and it will channel & spray. But even this first shot seemed to taste better than the pressurized portafilter. Hard to say, not as thick bodied feel, but the pressurized portafilter always seems to have both bitter & sour notes in it and the shot from the Bottomless one definitely didn't have that aspect, it seemed a more even extraction.

Unfortunately I have all of 60g or so of coffee in the house.. can't spend time experimenting with it until more shows up in the mail, which is supposed to be tomorrow.

The temp gauge sticker makes me think I need 3 pours of boiling water at least before pulling a shot. 3 pours got the metal heated to all of 175F. It is not easy to heat the head up at all. Still even with 3 it still seems faster than doing a V60 pour over. And the resulting shot with the 3 pours for pre-heat was hotter. It might be that I'm going to have to try experimenting with putting the head in a whole bowl of water off the boil. This is a very weird thing cause Flair's marketing guy tries to sell in youtube videos + forum posts that 1 pour for pre-heat is enough.

Last edited by benb; 01-19-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I got the Flair Bottomless Portafilter + temperature sticker in the mail this morning.....

This is a very weird thing cause Flair's marketing guy tries to sell in youtube videos + forum posts that 1 pour for pre-heat is enough.

From my experience, putting the entire PF body in a bowl/cup of boiling water is the easiest way to heat it to it's max temp. Bear in mind that even when you pour boiling water in several times, if the outside of the PF is not warm, there's still the potential for mass thermal loss. If the [i]entire[/] PF is submerged, that thermal loss is greatly minimized.

Glad to hear your shot's are okay, you'll probably be able to get fine enough for something decent, but the real benefit of more expensive grinders is how many clicks are available to you for micro adjustments, or even, a stepless grinder with no clicks at all. My hand grinder (1ZPresso JX-Pro) has 120 clicks on it and I can honestly say sometimes 1 click makes all the difference between a bad shot and a fantastic shot.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupless View Post
The Morgon was 12-17-2020 and Nomad was 01-04-2021. I think I got them about Jan 6/7th.

The Dayglow person told me to check out 9 Bar in Culver City in terms of local roasters. Hadn't heard of them and also haven't been yet.

Enjoy.
Cool. Thanks. Good to know. Very interested in trying Nomad coffee.

I ended up being a total sucker and getting coffee from Blue Bottle yesterday as I was at Malibu Village... But, it was one of their limited Ethiopian 'Winter Blooms' and it's fantastic. The last three bags of filter I've had have all been Ethiopian with strong notes of Jasmine and it has once again reaffirmed that Ethiopian coffee is hands down my favourite filter. Though I did once have a very limited Kenyan AA that I still dream about from Artisan Roast in Edinburgh...
Old 01-19-2021, 12:20 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
[IMG]...
So I didn't realize there was a Dayglow coffee nearby. Derp. They have all sorts of European roasters I had never heard of, and the barista was very cool. Only one US roaster, Sey out of Brooklyn.
That one in Hollywood is not far from me. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear your shot's are okay, you'll probably be able to get fine enough for something decent, but the real benefit of more expensive grinders is how many clicks are available to you for micro adjustments, or even, a stepless grinder with no clicks at all. My hand grinder (1ZPresso JX-Pro) has 120 clicks on it and I can honestly say sometimes 1 click makes all the difference between a bad shot and a fantastic shot.
I've had several hand grinders.. I might think about ordering another one but I'm not sure.

I have not had one with Steel Burrs like the 1ZPresso. The ceramic burr ones I've had were super poor in terms of effort/time/ergonomics. I've had some bad wrist injuries (thanks bicycling) and so I'm sketched out by using a hand grinder frequently.

Given some of the fancy hand grinders are ~$175-250 range I would be just as likely to keep using what I have now (OXO) and then go right to something in at least the $500-600 range that was electric.

I tend to be cheap I guess.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've had several hand grinders.. I might think about ordering another one but I'm not sure.

I have not had one with Steel Burrs like the 1ZPresso. The ceramic burr ones I've had were super poor in terms of effort/time/ergonomics. I've had some bad wrist injuries (thanks bicycling) and so I'm sketched out by using a hand grinder frequently.

Given some of the fancy hand grinders are ~$175-250 range I would be just as likely to keep using what I have now (OXO) and then go right to something in at least the $500-600 range that was electric.

I tend to be cheap I guess.
I'm with you. I've had a couple of sub $40 Hario grinders and they were awful. A real false economy IMO. I also have the OXO (though I'm sending it to someone on here later in the week as I like the JX-Pro so much.)

I think it is absolutely fantastic. The burr's are just huge and it grinds very quickly and consistently. It's exceedingly well made and weighs a ton.

I've said this before in this thread, or the manual espresso thread, I forget, so apologies if I am repeating myself, but it takes about 30-40 seconds to grind 18gr of espresso and around the same to grind 30gr of filter coffee. I think the trade off is thoroughly worth it. Even with hand grinding, I can have espresso in around 2-2 and a half minutes using the JX Pro and my Robot from start to finish, including boiling the kettle!
Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Cool. Thanks. Good to know. Very interested in trying Nomad coffee.

I ended up being a total sucker and getting coffee from Blue Bottle yesterday as I was at Malibu Village... But, it was one of their limited Ethiopian 'Winter Blooms' and it's fantastic. The last three bags of filter I've had have all been Ethiopian with strong notes of Jasmine and it has once again reaffirmed that Ethiopian coffee is hands down my favourite filter. Though I did once have a very limited Kenyan AA that I still dream about from Artisan Roast in Edinburgh...
I've had that Winter Blooms Ethiopian a couple times and I for one always enjoy my coffees at the Blue Bottle on Fairfax, and the baristas at the one in Hell's Kitchen were some of the first people to talk to me about coffee. So I like them, even though I understand they're probably no longer sitting at the cool kids table with us.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
That one in Hollywood is not far from me. I'll check it out. Thanks!
I feel like a Paceline Coffee Ride is in order.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:05 PM

From Adam "I make my own shoes and finish Grand Tours like it's my job" Hansen's Instagram.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:50 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
I feel like a Paceline Coffee Ride is in order.

Eater published a coffee shop guide not long ago: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-coffe...geles-espresso The only one I've been to is Sightglass. It's worthwhile. I haven't been doing as much exploring with ... what are we calling this now -- Safer at home.

I keep meaning to do a morning donut run, too: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-donut...geles-delivery

Last edited by tctyres; 01-22-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Deconditioned!

I just nabbed a Baratza Encore for the morning duties. I make drip coffee (Bunn).
Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post

Eater published a coffee shop guide not long ago: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-coffe...geles-espresso The only one I've been to is Sightglass. It's worthwhile. I haven't been doing as much exploring with ... what are we calling this now -- Safer at home.

I keep meaning to do a morning donut run, too: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-donut...geles-delivery
I haven't been to a lot of those either.
Sightglass is right near my house and has been mobbed every time I've been by so while I've gotten a cup-to-go I haven't had a pourover.

It's really hard to beat Dayglow + Verve--lots of places make really great coffee, but they always seem to be happy to talk about it there.

There's a place called Rocketship in my neighborhood that's excellent and uses beans from a place called Good People that are phenomenal.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso