Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 PM
LateStart

Willing or WHERE to buy? - Mavic Ksyrium Rim

Apologies if this should be in the Buy/Sell thread, but this is more question than request. I just bought a project wheel set for a deal, but I need to replace a damaged rim and rebuilt the rear wheel. The spokes are all in good shape, so should just need a new rim. (the wheel was on a bike rack and dragged, damaging the rear rim.)

Wheelset: Mavic Ksyrium SL - this is the rim I have: https://www.mavicparts.com/collectio...ack-996-054-10

The rear rim was damaged, the front rim is in VG shape. The front hub needs a lube and adjustment and rear feels great. So...

1) Willing to buy if anyone has a rim around?

2) Where is the best place to buy this rim? The link above is $150 - is that market?

3) Is there a Mavic with the same ERD and drill pattern that is wider/better. If yes, should I buy two rims and build a 'better set'. Exalith? Carbon?

4) Would rebuilding with a chinese carbon rim be an option? Any with the same drill pattern?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mavic 1.jpg (121.7 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Latestart; 01-21-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:43 PM

Lots of Ksyrium wheelsets have been retired for need of a rear rim.

These tend to be hard to acquire, at least at a low price, so most folks seem to just retire their narrow-rimmed Ksyrium wheelset as soon as the typical cracks form near one or more of the drive-sidespoke holes.

There are no wide-rim options that I know of. Anything that might have the needed Fore drilling will have to have come from Mavic.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:02 AM
That guy..

I'm holding onto a spare rear for when my rear dies. But now my worry are the spokes....are they reusable?. Even spare spokes for these wheels are hard to get. Or over priced

Great wheels.

But everything about them...is a pain... When you need to repair.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
1) Willing to buy if anyone has a rim around?

2) Where is the best place to buy this rim? The link above is $150 - is that market?

3) Is there a Mavic with the same ERD and drill pattern that is wider/better. If yes, should I buy two rims and build a 'better set'. Exalith? Carbon?

4) Would rebuilding with a chinese carbon rim be an option? Any with the same drill pattern?
1) I don't
2)$150 is actually a pretty good deal if he has one
3)no wider Mavic rims and because the spoke threads into the rim, gotta be Mavic..PLUS, beware..make sure the rim is EXACTLY the same as the one replacing..mavic did a BUNCH of changes that resulted in a whole slew of different spoke lengths even tho the rim/wheel/spoke 'looked' similar.
4)see 3) above..proprietary spoke, hub, rim..

A big....for WattVagen below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg press-likeyboard-42605871 copy.jpg (26.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-22-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:07 AM

Mavic’s support wrt spare parts availability is horrible. Hopefully under the new management this situation will improve but I don’t expect them to do anything for the products they have already sold....
Old 01-22-2021, 06:21 AM

haha, that sinking feeling you get when the project wheelset you bought for a bargain doesnt look so much like a bargain any more.

seriously though, any of us who have been riding for a while and riding decent miles have probably retired a set of ksyriums because the rear developed cracks at the nipple hole. i know i have.

around a decade ago or so, ksyriums were really nifty wheels. light, rode well and felt "snappy" - really transformed a bike. they were a little expensive, but not unattainable and better than most other stuff out there. they were pretty durable too, staying true over thousands of hard run miles, until ultimately we all killed our rears.

these days, there are many good choices for pre-built wheels, and better than ever options for handbuilts. unfortunately, even if available, i dont know that i would rebuild a ksyrium wheel with an expensive rim. those hubs are definitely nothing special, they work, but really overall a junky design compared to other available hubs.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I inherited a pair of Ksyriums because of a missing rear spoke and a bent front rim.

The wheels have steel spokes, so I don't think they'll work for the OP, but if anyone thinks they can use em, pay shipping and they're yours

Black rim and hubs, silver in the machined bits between the spokes, steel spokes.

FH body was removed prior to me getting them, but the hubs are still smooth

M
Old 01-22-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I inherited a pair of Ksyriums because of a missing rear spoke and a bent front rim.

The wheels have steel spokes, so I don't think they'll work for the OP, but if anyone thinks they can use em, pay shipping and they're yours

Black rim and hubs, silver in the machined bits between the spokes, steel spokes.

FH body was removed prior to me getting them, but the hubs are still smooth

M
Ksyrium Elite is also Fore-drilled, so might use a compatible rim, but the Ksyrium Equippe was entirely conventional as far as the rim spoke holes.

I've transferred rims from one damaged Ksyrium wheel to another, but the "new" rim cracked after only a month under a heavy rider.

The various special parts of a Ksyrium wheel will all age out, especially the rims, the hubshells and the externally-threaded spoke nipples that are part of a replacement spoke assembly. So it gets to be a labor-intensive game of whack-a mole in my opinion.

All this said, it is sad to see a still new-looking set of high-end Ksyriums get retired for need of a special (albeit narrow) rim.

I recently rescued a discarded yet new-looking pair of Two-Way-Fit Fulcrum wheels with aluminum spokes, finally found a source (in Germany) for single spokes instead of paying hundreds for a set of the special spokes. I got three spokes and a special wrench for about $55 shipped iir.

Last edited by dddd; 01-22-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 PM

I have a long relationship with Mavic. A very good one. But in the last ~2yrs things have gone downhill fast. Really fast. That said I have cards of replacement spokes and proprietary nips, freehubs and axles, etc. If anyone is in need of some obscure Mavic wheel small parts you can pm me, but be VERY specific on the oddball **** you need.