Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Administrator

It goes something like this...yes.

Linus Caldwell: Hey, can I ask you something? Do I need a Pegoretti in my...

Rusty Ryan: If you're gonna ask if you can ask me a question, give me time to respond. Unless you're asking rhetorically, in which case the answer is obvious - yes N+1.

Linus Caldwell: Okay, can I ask you...

Rusty Ryan: Yes.

Linus Caldwell: Thanks. Do I need a Pegoretti in my life?

Rusty Ryan: Ooh, don't ever ask that. Ever. Seriously. Not to anyone, especially not the forum.

Linus Caldwell: Wait, why not?

Rusty Ryan: Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.

[walks off]

Linus Caldwell: Oooooooooo.

"Yes,N+1."

W.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:29 AM

Tried to post this in the Classified PSA but do not have the priveleges, so will put it here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pegoretti...UAAOSw8DZgCfJp

Too small unfortunately for me.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
I've got a Marcelo from 2005 - size 57 or 58 (I'll have to check) - too big for me as I am riding more compact frames over the years - repainted in Wow-Blue paint job (without red details) in 2013 and only ridden a couple of seasons since then - love the ride but my position on it is suffering with the sizing issue.

if you're interested I am sure we could ship it from Switzerland - send me a PM.

Regards

SDJ
Have just seen this - I'm interested but not sure how to send a PM. Not sure if I can send a PM yet. Yikes!?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_s View Post
Have just seen this - I'm interested but not sure how to send a PM. Not sure if I can send a PM yet. Yikes!?
Sent you a PM
Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
Sent you a PM
Help! Where do I find my PM's?

Edit: using the FAQ page, I see that I do not have access to the PM pages.... If any administrator reads this, would it be possible to authorise this please?

Last edited by Will_s; 01-22-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Try logging in? Then you should be able to see your messages and inbox in the top right hand corner (?)

Edit: to write here you should already be logged in...dooh...;-)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_s View Post
Interesting, all of the 'ethnic' frames I've ever seen have the super dark blue (almost black) base color. Love the paint-matched fork on this one.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:38 PM

Can you tell the difference coming from Titanium?

Hi all I am new to the thread thanks for your time. I have been obsessing like many here to get a Pegoretti. Some baseline for context - I am a finesse high cadence rider.. I am not your power house guy (280 FTP, 1k Watts max power, 200 lbs, 53 yrs, 180-200 mile/week ave), tend to climb and accelerate out of the saddle - currently riding a Seven (TI) = snappy fun and a KBedford (Ti/Carbon) = all day ride, a bit flexy which is ok for long days.

I am curious if you might shed some light in the difference between the Pegoretti *Duende, Respo, and new Round. I rode the Marcello and I was not able to flex it at all (perhaps because it was a 58 (I am a 53/54), or perhaps cause I just don't have the powa)

If I went from a Ti bike (Seven) then hop on the Duende, Respo, and then Round. How would each bike feel compared to the Ti? assuming all same wheels, seat, bars, tires..

When I tried going from the Ti Seven onto the Marcello (bike was a bit big) I was left with "I really want to like this, but i can't feel anything" just heavy and flat.

Would love your thoughts... all the best.

Last edited by DanNas; 02-01-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNas View Post
If i went from a Ti bike (Seven) then hop on the Duende, Respo, and then Round. How each would feel compared to the Ti? (sorry for the wordy question) thanks in advance.
I owned a Duende and Seven Axiom at the same time. The Duende felt lively while the Seven felt smooth. Of course it depends on how Seven tunes a particular frame and that Seven didn't wow me. Ironically, my current Axiom (not built for me) has it all by being smooth and lively at the same time. The finish quality on my Duende was not that great but it was a great riding frame.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 AM

I am lighter than you, but my experience on the two Marcelos I owned (separated by 4 years), both of which were my size, was identical to yours.

Snip:
Quote:
When I tried going from the Ti Seven onto the Marcello (bike was a bit big) I was left with "I really want to like this, but i can't feel anything" just heavy and flat.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 PM

Do you ride a Peg that rode better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
I am lighter than you, but my experience on the two Marcelos I owned (separated by 4 years), both of which were my size, was identical to yours.

Snip:
Is there a peg that felt better than the Marcello for you?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Hi all I am new to the thread thanks for your time. I have been obsessing like many here to get a Pegoretti. Some baseline for context - I am a finesse high cadence rider.. I am not your power house guy (280 FTP, 1k Watts max power, 200 lbs, 53 yrs, 180-200 mile/week ave), tend to climb and accelerate out of the saddle - currently riding a Seven (TI) = snappy fun and a KBedford (Ti/Carbon) = all day ride, a bit flexy which is ok for long days.

I am curious if you might shed some light in the difference between the Pegoretti *Duende, Respo, and new Round. I rode the Marcello and I was not able to flex it at all (perhaps because it was a 58 (I am a 53/54), or perhaps cause I just don't have the powa)

If I went from a Ti bike (Seven) then hop on the Duende, Respo, and then Round. How would each bike feel compared to the Ti? assuming all same wheels, seat, bars, tires..

Pretty difficult to answer this given that Seven has so many different tuning options when it comes to their offerings. In addition, they have a number of different butting options so you would need to provide additional detail and even then I think it’s gonna be really tough to compare.

In general Ti is more smooth and mutes the road whereas steel gives a more lively springy feel but these are huge generalizations, imho. There’s a post somewhere in the custom bikes section where Ryun described the Peg lineup based on his experience/understanding. I’ll try to find it and link it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM

Here’s what Ryun had to say. I lifted this from his Day Is Done in the custom bikes section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
thats a tough one. I have had most of them. I would say they are more similar than different but there are some differences in stiffness.
Roughly I would say from stiffest to most compliant:
big Leg emma
Love 3
Round
MXXXlo/ Day is done
Respo
Duende
Lugino

Still a little undecided. Definitely Campy but with the Hincapie Gran Fondo coming up I will need something with lower than my normal 54/42 so while it would be sooo good with an SR 11 RS group, it will probably end up with a standard Super record 11 group. Fizik bar and stem.
I have some shmal milles to go on there for the fondo but it will mostly wear some Bora 50s

I have had a few pegs although only 2 were custom.

This one is custom (basically a 54 long). I had this exact model but I didnt get to pick the color or the measurements a few years back. Ever since than I have been trying to get a custom one.
I was finally able to get one and then Italy shutdown so the delay got even longer at the end

One more pic should give away the model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 AM

Just took delivery of a Dario-period Responsorium last week. Dated 2014.
It is very rare (for me) to find a Responsorium on the market, especially one that is in my size (53). Thought it was just my day when I found it.

My first ever Peg.
[Previous/current bikes - a couple of carbon roadbikes (BH, Cube) , Merida alu roadbike, Trek steel roadbike from the 90s, alu hardtail, alu flatbar, alu full suspension mtb, a Lynskey, a Kona Ti built by Lynskey.]

bike spec:
Responsorium 53 size
Campagnolo SR 11-speed (50/34, 25 in rear)
Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheelset with 23mm GP 4000s
Deda Superleggara handlebar
Look Keo2 pedals
RavX Gamma x bottle cages
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Fizik seatpost

The first thing that struck me was the weight. OMG .. this cannot be real - 7.7kg with pedals? (for some reason, I was expecting mid to high 8kgs)

I have not changed anything on the bike. Everything as-is from the original owner.
Bike was plenty stiff for me, even when climbing out of the saddle. Compliant just like a Ti bike. Love the weight when climbing.
Stable on the descent, though I did not push it hard.

Future plans - change to fresh pair of 25mm tyres

Drawbacks - none at the moment. Maybe the lack of width to support 28mm tyres? Just kidding.

Can't wait to do more miles.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Responsorium was the best steel bike I've ever ridden. I think they're very special bikes. Plenty stiff yet very comfortable and stable.

Dario knew a thing or two about putting tubes together.