Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
They've been talking about the death of Campy since the 90s MTB boom.

They said the same for Apple.

SRAM's worry isn't campy, it's Shimano. Shimano learned to live in a world with Campy, clearly they hate SRAM. Not sure why anyone would select SRAM over Shimano.

And as Elder Spud said, forget not Campy's wheels. Those things rock.

My only wish - bring back record hubs in silver and various spoke holes.
Almost was in the late 80s, early 90s...MTB stuff.

shimano has put it to sram on OEM..beat them in their own game. Now sram is 'attacking' fringe areas, like gravel and cross(yes, yes, cross is big but small and short compared to road/MTB stuff), 1by, wet road caliper(huh?), road disc....

Record hubs, even black ones, in 28 and 36, along with Centaur or Veloce in 32 and 36..my only wish but with Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels..not sure why they make hubs at all.

I still think eventually there will be an Asian produced 'Fulcrum' group-for OE, but that's not high on Campagnolo's list if on it at all-OE.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-25-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Climber

This is totally random but I wish Campy would start making Automobile wheels again. It would be so cool for an owner of a Ferrari to buy.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM

12 speed.

That would make for a real nice 11-25 set. Even 27 if one needs that so you can discuss world affairs with your buddies while ascending a 18% grade.

Carbon Shamal-just because.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 AM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
This is totally random but I wish Campy would start making Automobile wheels again. It would be so cool for an owner of a Ferrari to buy.
my old Alfa Romeo GTV6 had Campagnolo wheels- that was a nice touch.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
Back in the dark days of late 80s Campagnolo was truly on the ropes. What Valentino did was sell/close everything Campagnolo except bike stuff. Auto wheels also some cast stuff for aviation. They also had an offer from Mavic to purchase, glad he said no.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post

Gear Range. I'd like a cassette that ranges from 11 to 34.

Disk Brakes. Wake up folks. Everyone has this, it's time. I have been using a combination of TRP Spyre and Campy Record levers. It's ok, but not awesome. Full integration and true hydraulic disks will be welcomed.

1x11. With bigger cassette range and hydraulic disk brakes, it will be natural to release a CX-specific group set.
Is this topic a "Campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - I vote for the latter.

I wish that Campagnolo would NOT try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post
is this topic a "campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - i vote for the latter.

I wish that campagnolo would not try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.
doh!!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 AM

my favorite time of year

Campagnolo announcements: I remember when they went ten speed, then 11

Why go to 11, because we can

Agreed the Fulcrum and Campy wheels are superior
Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have never understood what about 'gravel' or cross riding means your front der won't work?
When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1x

1 x is whatever. i thought the idea of going 11 was less jumps from gear to gear

Now i need a 1 x with a 34 on back?

If I bought a mtn group I would get double or triple. no way 1 x
Old 08-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
When riding on un-improved trail surfaces, front shifting still works, but it does become more problematic. High drag/low speed situations (such as riding uphill on loose surfaces) doesn't allow for the changes in power to the ground that front shifting often entails (rear shifting is difficult enough in these situations).

In addition, rapidly varying terrain doesn't require the ability to finely adjust gear sizes, so large jumps between gears are better tolerated (and often desired).

These two factors combined make wide ranged rear cassettes not only tolerable, but often desireable. If the rear cassette is wide enough to give the full range of gearing desired, and the size jumps between gears are tolerable, why bother with a front derailleur?
Hmmm, front ders, particularly shimano, are not 'problematic', in fact almost automatic(and indeed on XTR di2, it is). And sorry, a 4-6 tooth gap IS an issue as is the front chainring 'selected' then finding its either too big or too small. 'Rapidly changing terrain' would call for smaller gaps, not larger.

Lots of marketing going on by one company who is trying to do something the others guys aren't, imho.

But if ha like it and it works, great but I agree with the other poster, 1by on a road bike makes no sense to me.

And as a MTB rider, I'll take at least 2 if not 3 chainrings.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-25-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post
Is this topic a "Campagnolo wish list" or a list of things that have no place on a road bike - I vote for the latter.

I wish that Campagnolo would NOT try to sell us a bunch of new-fangled junk that nobody needs.
This resonates with me. I have to say, though, that Campy's support for their existing products is pretty good.....and certainly without par in the bike industry...They could further differentiate themselves from the competition by doing even more of that. There have been production runs of record 10 speed shifters, derailleurs and some centaur rear derailleurs as well....also certain cassettes long dropped from the catalog have had some production runs to fill in holes in the supply. How about a run of silver record brakes?....a run of silver record hubs?....They don't even need to catalog them...
Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Second the post re tubular Neutrons. Will Campy announce a wider Rim?

Last edited by Kirk007; 08-25-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:26 PM

Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by danield View Post
Third the tubular neutrons. I'd actually love to see a budget alloy tubular for CX.

I'd also like to see a budget 11 speed cassette. It seems they could just combine Veloce and Athena into entry level 11 at this point if 12 speed is on the horizon.
12s isn't on the horizon. I expect Veloce will be 11s soon, if not this year.

Tags
campagnolo, eurobike 2015