Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM

OT: Apple has online screening for COVID-19

Just saw this come across a news feed and sharing. The link takes you to a series of questions - which I imagine are the same set of questions asked at a clinic.

It also has the option to conduct the screen for someone else.

There is a disclaimer stating they are not sharing results with the CDC.

https://www.apple.com/covid19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 03:16 PM

So if they dont share the data with the CDC, then whats the point to have the screening??? Maybe they wont share the name of the guy but sure will share or sell all the stats they can infer out of the influx of date coming in. Which IMO is not a bad thing, but at the same time I do not like apple neither darn facebook or any of the other "free not share data" social media free sites around.

No matter what they tell you, there is no way to know what they do with whatever you give them for free.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
So if they dont share the data with the CDC, then whats the point to have the screening??? Maybe they wont share the name of the guy but sure will share or sell all the stats they can infer out of the influx of date coming in. Which IMO is not a bad thing, but at the same time I do not like apple neither darn facebook or any of the other "free not share data" social media free sites around.

No matter what they tell you, there is no way to know what they do with whatever you give them for free.
because without the test, whatever comes out of this test does really do much for CDC. This is pretty useful because if tells people some useful information and if they should get tested or not.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:26 PM

I don’t know, maybe Apple shouldn’t be the ones giving medical information on this. Seems like they could give people a false sense of being ok. But I did check the new iPad out.....
Old 03-28-2020, 03:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I don’t know, maybe Apple shouldn’t be the ones giving medical information on this. Seems like they could give people a false sense of being ok. But I did check the new iPad out.....
this site was made with the help of the CDC, its not just apple giving medical advice.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:43 PM

Also, Apple has been getting more and more into health tracking. I'm sure they have good advisors.

They are one of the most powerful companies around and if they are able to use some of that power for good it should be seen in a good light. Hopefully their intentions are noble.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 PM
50 bpm

I have a PC and my wife has a MacBook Air.

I guess I'm waiting on Bill Gates!
Old 03-29-2020, 04:49 PM

I work in this area. It's actually a very good PSA and helps a lot. It helps people figure out that they DON'T have the symptoms and AREN'T a candidate to go to their local clinic. This reduces the risk that they become exposed to people who actually have it. It also helps with the burden on healthcare workers, because every person that walks thru the door has to be assumed positive and handled with the same precaution. If 1% of the people who take this assessment then realize they don't have covid 19, that's a lot of burden taken off the system.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I have a PC and my wife has a MacBook Air.

I guess I'm waiting on Bill Gates!
Well, Bill has been sounding the alarm since early on. He is showing signs of humanity as he ages.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I work in this area. It's actually a very good PSA and helps a lot. It helps people figure out that they DON'T have the symptoms and AREN'T a candidate to go to their local clinic. This reduces the risk that they become exposed to people who actually have it. It also helps with the burden on healthcare workers, because every person that walks thru the door has to be assumed positive and handled with the same precaution. If 1% of the people who take this assessment then realize they don't have covid 19, that's a lot of burden taken off the system.

+1 agree it’s a great awareness/ screening tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM

It´s a good thing. It helps you set things straight, take foot of your situation instead of living in a panic haze only from reading the news.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
because without the test, whatever comes out of this test does really do much for CDC. This is pretty useful because if tells people some useful information and if they should get tested or not.
Correct but the 'test' ought to be available to anybody, now. First priority is anybody who is infected or thinks they have been around somebody who has been infected. Next are those who have been sick and have recovered(like my son), to see IF he had 'it', has he recovered and is he still contagious and is he immune now.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 AM

The IF's and the Should's are way too big to trust all your prays in apple IMO.

U can be asymptomatic which could be a insane number of people. Then you will get 100% healthy under apple's radar and be happy going around infecting everybody around you. Yes the burden was lifted but at what price?

Another extreme case, you can have a really bad case of allergies and a regular flu with the chhhh****zzz included. If you have the bad luck of your body giving up to allergies and you get a bad one you end up with corona breathing coughing symptoms because you get asthma (I have bad cases of allergies, telling you that by experience and sucks), the temperature can go up aswell. U put all of that into the super app and the app says, "you are it".

This is the main problem and IMO they pretty much need to go door to door testing people once the tests become quicker (quicker than 15 mins) and more available.

I was talking with my wife about it, she is a microbiologist and well the apple app can misdiagnose somebody big time, way too many variables. Yes, can give a relief or scare you even morem but well those can be false.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 03-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
The IF's and the Should's are way too big to trust all your prays in apple IMO.

U can be asymptomatic which could be a insane number of people. Then you will get 100% healthy under apple's radar and be happy going around infecting everybody around you. Yes the burden was lifted but at what price?

Another extreme case, you can have a really bad case of allergies and a regular flu with the chhhh****zzz included. If you have the bad luck of your body giving up to allergies and you get a bad one you end up with corona breathing symptoms because you get asthma (I have bad cases of allergies, telling you that by experience and sucks), the temperature can go up aswell. U put all of that into the super app and the app says, "you are it".

This is the main problem and IMO they pretty much need to go door to door testing people once the tests become quicker (quicker than 15 mins) and more available.

I was talking with my wife about it, she is a microbiologist and well the apple app can misdiagnose somebody big time, way too many variables. Yes, can give a relief or scare you even more.
Well it's an online guide only, not a firm diagnosis. 'We' here are pretty 'enlightened' but I think you would be surprised and dismayed at how many ignorant people there are 'out there'...Just look around..even with 25/8 news info, there are still knuckleheads around here partying like there's no tomorrow(pun intended). Unless it effects THEM(and even if it DOES), they are going to get more complacent than they already are...