Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 PM

I can't say I've seen any good, but I think I have a plan to DO good.

These checks the federal government is going to send out to everyone-

Not everyone has or will be affected financially by the pandemic; some occupations or individuals' value to a company may protect them from furloughs, layoffs, short term pay cuts, etc. .

I feel I'm in that group.

I can't justify spending that money on myself for discretionary purchases. And even if I had bills that needed paying with money I didn't have, those bills weren't caused by the pandemic so I don't feel the government handout should go there.

I plan on donating the money to a variety of charities. Hopefully I can spread it among local charities that can help those financially affected by the pandemic.

FYI: I'm not wealthy-I'm probably right on the median income level for my state. If I were to keep the government handout, I'd probably invest it rather than spend it anyway.

Now watch me lose my job next week...
Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 PM

Doctors and nurses have been giants, absolute heroes sacrificing themselves to do what has to be done.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Doctors and nurses have been giants, absolute heroes sacrificing themselves to do what has to be done.
We have had cases of nurse and doctors being abused by a**ehole members of the public for "spreading the virus". Maybe those people should remember that those health staff might be trying to save their life from Coronavirus one day. Absolutely disgusting.

To the original question - I haven't seen any examples of good being done. Quite the opposite - the place has gone feral.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
We have had cases of nurse and doctors being abused by a**ehole members of the public for "spreading the virus". Maybe those people should remember that those health staff might be trying to save their life from Coronavirus one day. Absolutely disgusting.

To the original question - I haven't seen any examples of good being done. Quite the opposite - the place has gone feral.
Maybe you just haven't looked... Let's hope anyway
Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow -how disappointing to hear. Actually pretty unbelievable.

I worked in New Zealand for 7 months and can't imagine this behavior occurring there.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Cowards.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
You can ride "together" and keep a distance from the other riders. Not too difficult, really.
I don't think anybody is here to scold you but riding with others, when one is behind another, can be dangerous. Yes the guys you ride with can say they 'feel fine', and have not been around anybody that 'may' be sick, but you really don't know. It's still up to you, of course, but if I ride, I ride alone and even now, I don't ride cuz a fall->ER..don't want to go into any hospital..

-69yo with 69yo wife with asthma.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

My neighborhood has come together well..very social, from across the street. Some living alone local elderly have been helped..BUT people way stressed and generally either pissed off or thinking they can get away with whatever. I drove to bike distributor about a week ago..people driving NUTZ..cars going 85-95 MPH..MANY..very small 'm' madmax-ish...

Guy that passed wife and I while we were walking the other day, he was jogging..about 10 feet in front of us he spit..yes, I yelled at him...
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
We have had cases of nurse and doctors being abused by a**ehole members of the public for "spreading the virus".
Hospitals are high stress areas at the best of times. People say stupid stuff when they are scared. Not all Aussies are feral bogans

From the newspaper:
My elderley neighbours have 3 cats ( I have one cat so understand how much our pets mean to us) they can't get out much ( in their 90s) so I left them 3 bags of dry food & some tins of wet food for their cats as shelves in most places were empty. A couple of days later The lady knocked at my door ( arriving with her walker the dear soul) she had a lovely bunch of flowers & some lindor chocolates for me. The flowers are beautiful & make me smile whenever I look at them.

That is fantastic - keep up the positive attitude My neighbour knocked on our door the other night and gave us a packed of rice. He said coming from SriLanka they always have rice in the house and thought we might not have been able to get any from the empty supermarket.

I follow a rugby league podcast and the members are offering trade services for people that can't get tradesmen to help on urgent jobs. In New Zealand people are generally being kind to each other, but a couple of gang members had a stoush in a supermarket over a pack of meat of all things. FFS there are 50 million sheep in the country, no one is going to starve.

police messaging in NZ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90718738_10157106202601915_7344946774026485760_n.jpg (37.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

New Balance has shifted their US production from footwear to PPE/face masks.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:14 AM

There are income limits as to whom gets the 1200 check. Above a certain amount they phase out and become 0

Singles below 75000 and married at 150000 get full check Above these amounts it decreases until it gets to 0

I believe it is phased out completely by 99000 19800 but I’d ha e to research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I can't say I've seen any good, but I think I have a plan to DO good.

These checks the federal government is going to send out to everyone-

Not everyone has or will be affected financially by the pandemic; some occupations or individuals' value to a company may protect them from furloughs, layoffs, short term pay cuts, etc. .

I feel I'm in that group.

I can't justify spending that money on myself for discretionary purchases. And even if I had bills that needed paying with money I didn't have, those bills weren't caused by the pandemic so I don't feel the government handout should go there.

I plan on donating the money to a variety of charities. Hopefully I can spread it among local charities that can help those financially affected by the pandemic.

FYI: I'm not wealthy-I'm probably right on the median income level for my state. If I were to keep the government handout, I'd probably invest it rather than spend it anyway.

Now watch me lose my job next week...
Old 03-28-2020, 10:20 AM

My neighbor placed some extra bars of soap out in the common area hallway for others to use. She left a kind note.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD97948C-036A-425B-9D76-10252CB67634_1_105_c.jpg (99.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by charliedid; 03-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM

My wife is upstairs sewing masks, and collaborating with a neighbor on design ideas, results, and procurement of materials.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
Hospitals are high stress areas at the best of times. People say stupid stuff when they are scared. Not all Aussies are feral bogans
These comments were not made by patients in a hospital, they were made in public places. My wife is a nurse (Orthopedics so not involved in Coronavirus care.......yet) and when she went to get some bread at the bakers the other morning after a hard night shift when she hadn't eaten and just felt like some nice bread to have for breakfast, she got several filthy looks from members of the public. No-one said anything to her but she could see the looks and sensed the anger. Sorry, but nothing justifies that. These health workers are working long and hard to try and save some of these f-wits (or might be trying to save them in the future) so the least people can do is give them a little respect.

It's got so bad that hospitals are recommending that staff bring a change of clothes to change into before they leave work.

And I can't speak for the rest of Australia, bur Perth is definitely being taken over by feral bogans.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 AM

Well the city is covering 40 hours of sick pay for me and there is a rent freeze for april so I suppose thats good on the local government

The $1200 is not gonna go very far when rent is so high. I guess ill just take the check and say thanks but it feels a lot more like "ill pay you $1200 to shut the **** up and go away" then any sort of attempt at helping people out of work.

I do appreciate the local grocery stores metering people and making it so there are not many people in the store at once and NO lines at the cash registers.
So far ive only gone grocery shopping once since March 15 and I'll be good for another few days