Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
https://youtu.be/gxAaO2rsdIs

again, I highly recommend you guys that a look at this youtube video. It is kinda cocktail napkin-ish in the most intellectual way but it drives these points home in a very understandable way.
And if you need some non-covid distraction, the rest of his channel is pretty good too. He’s excellent at describing complex concepts with simple language. Thanks for showing me this resource, joost.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
And if you need some non-covid distraction, the rest of his channel is pretty good too. He’s excellent at describing complex concepts with simple language. Thanks for showing me this resource, joost.
He is one of my favorites. You are exactly right his channel is a great distraction. My favorite is his visualization and explanation of the Riemann Hypothesis.

Last edited by joosttx; 03-28-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:21 PM

The new State of Oregon PSA is direct & to the point.

https://youtu.be/o8Fapc0aDaQ

OR_Covid_PSA.jpg
Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 PM

How a failure to test blinded the U.S. to the coronavirus: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/u...-pandemic.html.

Last edited by fiamme red; 03-28-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:29 PM

It wasn't as bad as last Friday, but there were lots of people out in NYC parks enjoying the warm day yesterday:

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...h-2020?image=0

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...lobal-pandemic

Quote:
This week, we checked out the situation in parks around Williamsburg in Brooklyn. These photos were taken between 3 and 5 p.m. on Friday, March 27th. Photographer Scott Lynch reported back, "When two NYPD vehicles showed up at Domino I thought there was going to be some action, but the officers just sat in their cars and blasted a taped warning about being six feet apart. Then left."

A tipster also reached out to us, saying that on Friday afternoon in McCarren Park they "saw droves of people picnicking... I usually mind my business but this is a matter of life and death.. [the NYPD] aren't breaking up groups and as the weather gets nicer more people will go out."
Old 03-28-2020, 10:00 PM

I'm seeing more people out at parks and such locally in my area which is just F***ING idiotic!

I drive past one of our larger county run parks on my way home from work and with the nicer weather we had yesterday there were not only people out and about at the park, there were people playing volleyball, basketball, and kids running around the play areas.

Today I had to run out for some groceries and noticed greater traffic in general than I expected.

The people from the city that have summer houses have opened them up and are there with their families in order to get away from the city. the Gov in his update was talking about shipping patients to other parts of the state. That will bring their families with them and the fear of spread.

Our local emergency service people are working very hard so that if/when a surge hits our area resources and services will be in place. They've taken the local veterans arena and are converting it for a triage site. There's a good number of beds in place along with supplies and backup power generation in place ready to go.

I've said it before and it bears repeating. This virus is sobering and horrible almost beyond comprehension.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
The new State of Oregon PSA is direct & to the point]
Wow that is really well done. No BS-straight to the point. Tom McCall would have approved.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
The new State of Oregon PSA is direct & to the point.

https://youtu.be/o8Fapc0aDaQ

Attachment 1697995487
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Wow that is really well done. No BS-straight to the point. Tom McCall would have approved.
This is Wieden + Kennedy, no? The folks behind Just Do It and other Nike stuff?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This is Wieden + Kennedy, no? The folks behind Just Do It and other Nike stuff?
Yes, it is. The State already has an existing contract with them, so they were able to fast-track this without going through the usual procurement procedures (which, I know from lots of experience, can take months). Best of all, Wieden+Kennedy did the work pro-bono.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:26 PM

James Dolan, the owner of the Knicks, tested positive. He's "experiencing little to no symptoms," which makes one wonder why he was able to get tested.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/s...an-knicks.html
Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
James Dolan, the owner of the Knicks, tested positive. He's "experiencing little to no symptoms," which makes one wonder why he was able to get tested.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/s...an-knicks.html
If you’re rich you can get tested no problem. Nothing to wonder about. In America there are two sets of rules.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:46 PM

A New York Doctor’s Warning - from Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
If you’re SUPER rich you can get tested no problem. Nothing to wonder about. In America there are two sets of rules.
From the current Atlantic:
Quote:
I do not want to see you in my hospital. I do not want you to go to any hospital in the United States. I do not want you to leave your home, except for essential food and supplies. I do not want you to get tested for the coronavirus, unless you need to be admitted to a hospital.

For those of us at the forefront, knowing who has COVID-19 won’t change our ability—or inability—to treat patients. The problem is, and will be, our shortage of healthy personnel, personal protective equipment, beds, and ventilators. A nasal swab is not the answer anymore.

If you have mild symptoms, assume that you have the coronavirus. Stay home, wash your hands, call your doctor. Don’t come to the emergency department just because of a fever or cough. Receiving a test won’t change our recommendation that you remain in self-isolation. We don’t want you to expose yourself to those who definitely do have the virus.

Social distancing, while still crucial, came too late in New York to prevent a crisis. Maybe, just maybe, extreme measures can prevent this from happening in other cities around the country.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
From the current Atlantic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
"I do not want to see you in my hospital. I do not want you to go to any hospital in the United States. I do not want you to leave your home, except for essential food and supplies. I do not want you to get tested for the coronavirus, unless you need to be admitted to a hospital.

For those of us at the forefront, knowing who has COVID-19 won’t change our ability—or inability—to treat patients. The problem is, and will be, our shortage of healthy personnel, personal protective equipment, beds, and ventilators. A nasal swab is not the answer anymore.

If you have mild symptoms, assume that you have the coronavirus. Stay home, wash your hands, call your doctor. Don’t come to the emergency department just because of a fever or cough. Receiving a test won’t change our recommendation that you remain in self-isolation. We don’t want you to expose yourself to those who definitely do have the virus.

Social distancing, while still crucial, came too late in New York to prevent a crisis. Maybe, just maybe, extreme measures can prevent this from happening in other cities around the country."
While I understand this ideology it just doesnt make a lot of sense. For a lot of folks, they arent allowed to leave their workplace unless they get a note from a doctor saying they tested positive for the virus. So if the option is stay at home and get fired and miss your rent payment or go to work not feeling so great and questionable about whether you have corona, a lot of folks are left with a difficult decision and choose to make money to not be homeless.

kind of a privileged response IMO

Im not saying thats the right thing to do, but when you put the population in that kind of situation most people will choose the path that doesnt throw them out on the street.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
According to a Bloomberg.com article shared by a friend, the governor of RI has ordered the State Police to stop cars with NY plates and order 14 day quarantines for all occupants.

It went on to say she plans to use the National Guard to knock on doors where they find NY vehicles and order14 day quarantines for all occupants of the residence.

On one hand it makes sense and on the other it’s pretty scary stuff.

Again, if it’s really true.

BK
Not enforceable unless the cop follows them to their destination and then monitors them.

Doubt that, again, almost impossible, manpower wise and unenforceable.

Stopping people from leaving NY and going to Florida...politics, still.

BUT, people STILL need to get a clue. STILL large groups of (mostly) young people 'hanging out' around here. My neighbor is a good example..5-6 knuckleheads on their back patio having 'the time of their life'...

Bethoud yesterday...It MIGHT take on the street enforcement. My son is in code enforcemen in Denver..he drives around following up reports of non essential business' open..he is VERY busy.
Quote:
For a lot of folks, they aren't allowed to leave their workplace unless they get a note from a doctor saying they tested positive for the virus. So if the option is stay at home and get fired and miss your rent payment or go to work not feeling so great and questionable about whether you have corona, a lot of folks are left with a difficult decision and choose to make money to not be homeless.
As Governor Polis says, the 'enforcer' is the grim reaper...

I'm an old fart but I make it my DUTY, everyday, even when out for our daily walk, to see how far I can stay from anybody...EVERYTHING is delivered, even food...
Quote:
"It's just the way of the world"....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg camera-1-e1585428781728.jpeg (42.8 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-29-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:30 AM
50 bpm

OK, so this was weird. Last night our across-the-street neighbors had a pool party with five different families (and lots of kids). We only have had 12 cases for far in our county, but it seemed to some of the rest of us in the 'hood that this was extremely stupid, particularly because we're going on statewide lockdown.