Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 PM

Frame bags is a good point. For those of us who rarely do bikepacking, I'd imagine having a bit more exposed seatpost with a more compact geometry should help with comfort on gravel trails with or without a dropper post. On the other hand, some may argue the bigger tires should mostly take care of that?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 AM

Mine has a longer top tube than my road bike, which I deliberately "sized up" (well kinda) in order to run a shorter stem, which moves me back a bit cg wise. I think it helps. This may result in looking slightly larger. I don't currently run a dropper but would consider and have the room.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Frame bags is a good point. For those of us who rarely do bikepacking, I'd imagine having a bit more exposed seatpost with a more compact geometry should help with comfort on gravel trails with or without a dropper post. On the other hand, some may argue the bigger tires should mostly take care of that?
If you want more comfort change your saddle. Something wider, heavier like a Brooks which dissipates shock. Most of all: look for longer chainstays. One cm longer chainstays will give you significantly more comfort than 5 cm of exposed seatpost.

Last edited by colker; 03-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 AM

I went with a titanium setback post on my gravel bike in order to keep the post about 1cm shorter than my road bike. The bike is smooth whether running 28mm or 38mm in 700c or larger in 650b. All of my bikes have a Berthoud leather saddle which dissipates shock better than traditional saddles.

I can see the benefits of a more traditional geometry over compact on gravel if you want to do some bikepacking and also find it more aesthetically pleasing. Allowing more space to carry stuff can be important to some. I had mine built with the ability to put on a rear rack because a 54cm still doesn’t have a ton of room in the main triangle with two cages mounted, but will still fit a half frame bag.

Dropper posts are pretty great for when things get gnarly, descents get sketchy and for hard cornering off road. I really liked the one I had on my trail bike as well as my fat bike and can definitely see the benefit if you like to take your gravel bike out on single track or just to explore some rougher terrain. I personally would take out one of my mountain bikes if I felt the need for a dropper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I went with a titanium setback post on my gravel bike in order to keep the post about 1cm shorter than my road bike.
By that, I assume you mean shorter leg extension as well, or do you compensate with a different crank arm length?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
If you want more comfort change your saddle. Something wider, heavier like a Brooks which dissipates shock. Most of all: look for longer chainstays. One cm longer chainstays will give you significantly more comfort than 5 cm of exposed seatpost.
Interesting, why does longer chainstay improve comfort? Further away from the rear wheel/tire contact point?