Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM

Try blasting the end cap with a torch is what I would do.

Depending on the metals involved, the cap might be on tighter when it's hot, but the heat cycle (possibly followed by applying ice or dry ice) should make a difference in the amount of force required.

Heating metals should cause no problems if you don't go too far past the temperature of grease smoking, and there is just about always some grease on parts like this.

I have wheelset with old Phil hubs, and the front hub axle had freeplay in it.
I tried taking it apart by forcing the end cap off, then again using the torch after I fashioned a heat shield to protect the bearing seal. The cap never did come off, but all the pounding through the hollow axle (using a solid rod) somehow fixed the loose bearing for good. It's been smooth and tight for some years since then!

On the other hand, I have freed many stuck spoke nipples, quill stems and bearing races using the propane torch, usually making quick work of it without damaging anything.

Craigslist is what it is, I once bought low-priced Ksyrium SSC wheels that turned out to have a missing bushing in the freehub.
Another time I negotiated the price of a Calfee over the phone before driving out to Marin to buy it. Even though the price was now pretty low, the seller was very appreciative that I had kept my end of the deal, and after the transaction she handed me $50 so that me and my lady friend could upgrade our dinner options in SF where we were headed. She told us that a previous supposed buyer showed up offering only $240(!) saying it was all that he had! I then noticed, as we were heading into the Starbucks, that she drove away in a Bentley.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
It is not threaded at all; supposed to be slip/interference fit.
Oops. Just watched a video. I might have an extra cover if you can get it off....

240 hubs are pressure fit, but King hubs are screwed together?

Last edited by hokoman; 03-28-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I might have an extra cover if you can get it off....
That would be great if you have an extra CK end cap; by the time I am done with this, I have a feeling the current one will be destroyed Let me know if you find it.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I saw a pair of HED Belgium+ rims laced to Chris King R45 hubs on local Craigslist (with turquoise hubs to boot). The wheels even came with an expensive SRAM Red XG1090 11-26 cassette. I met the seller in a neutral location, checked the wheels as best as I could on the spot, paid up and drove back home. All good so far.

Once I got back home, first order of business was to remove the cassette and replace it with a 11-28 Shimano cluster. What do you know, this fancy cassette has an inner sleeve thing which is now stuck on the freehub. I am going to figure out a way tomorrow to get that thing off, but I am now wondering if I can even reuse the cassette (my plan was to sell it).

Then, I realized that there was no 10-spd spacer behind the cassette. Odd, I thought, because in my head all R45 hubs are 11-speed compatible. Turns out I am wrong, and the conversion kit ain't cheap... Not a deal breaker as I plan to use these wheels on a 10-spd build but it will make future resale more challenging.

Last but not least, I found a tiny dent in the front rim. It is very small and has no effect on the integrity of the wheel, but I was already in a foul mood from the previous so this just made it worse. And the bearings feel a bit tight (though this might just be a preload adjustment issue).

Complete first world problems, but just wanted to vent. Do better research than me before buying, folks!
Yo! There are a couple of 11speed workarounds without the fancy conversion kit. One is a modded cassette. About 40 more than a usual cassette, but 100+ cheaper than the kit. Or allegedly the new Ultegra cassettes work on those since they have similar spacing to shimanotb cassettes which still have narrower spacing.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 AM

Yeah, I am aware that the 11-spd 11-34 cassettes will work on 10-spd hubs. But right now, my main concern is to get the end cap off to be able to replace the freehub, since I am going to be using these wheels with a 10-spd groupset anyways

Last edited by fa63; 03-29-2020 at 07:02 AM.