Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Where to find a unicorn stem?

I’m after a titanium stem in a 120mm length with a 17 degree angle for a 1 1/8 fork steerer and 31.8mm bar clamp.

I didn’t think it was that unusual a combination but the only place I’ve seen them is on eBay; they’re unbranded Chinese and either don’t let you specify the stem length or the clamp diameter...

If anyone has any suggestions for where I can find such a seemingly rare stem configuration, please let me know, I’d appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 AM

Depending on how badly you want it and what your budget is, just order a custom one from Ti Cycle Fabrication in Portland and get exactly what you want in a choice of finishes.

Or keep looking elsewhere if you have more time than $ right now. But at least maybe check out what the cost would be if you went custom to get a ceiling on what it might cost you.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:24 AM

Stems are important for ensuring one's teeth stay where they belong. I'd go for something from Firefly or Bingham/Eriksen - or Seven if they are still doing them.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:36 AM

Lynskey.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Moots used to do custom stems, can't tell if they still do from their website.

I have one in this configuration, but need it.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the replies; think you’re right about wanting to keep my teeth Clean, don’t want to take a punt on these Chinese eBay stems. Lynkey only do 6 degrees; ti-cycles looks lovely but 8 degrees stock and $400 custom, Firefly is a better price at $350 but I don’t want a firefly logo, Eriksen/Bingham don’t seem to do stems and Moots only do 6 degrees. Not sure I want to bite the bullet with ti-cycles at that price; I didn’t realize I was searching for a unicorn!
Old 09-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bencolem View Post
Thanks for the replies; think you’re right about wanting to keep my teeth Clean, don’t want to take a punt on these Chinese eBay stems. Lynkey only do 6 degrees; ti-cycles looks lovely but 8 degrees stock and $400 custom, Firefly is a better price at $350 but I don’t want a firefly logo, Eriksen/Bingham don’t seem to do stems and Moots only do 6 degrees. Not sure I want to bite the bullet with ti-cycles at that price; I didn’t realize I was searching for a unicorn!
Lynskey definitely do do custom stems, FWIW. A user, Jeff. N had one made recently I believe. Just because stuff isn't listed on their site doesn't mean they won't make 'em
Old 09-25-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Regarding Firefly, are you referring to the logo on the faceplate? The older version of the faceplate was blank. Not sure if they are interchangeable, but if they are, I or someone else with an older faceplate would be willing to swap.

If you are referring to the logo on the stem iteself, if you are ordering a custom stem from Firefly, you can request that it not have any logos. They also list -17º as an option.

I recall Moots offering custom stems, but their website currently indicates that they are not selling stems individually at the moment (I assume only with the purchase of a frame). Eriksen/Bingham offers stems, but the website indicates only +/-6º. I would call to see if other rises are possible.

https://binghambuiltbikes.com/store/...-built-stem-6/

Note that the stem says "BUILT" on the back of the steerer clamp (where a Moots stem says "MOOTS").
Old 09-25-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
... don’t want to take a punt on these Chinese eBay stems.
I've been riding a 120mm/-17* Chinese stem for three years. It appears, from what I saw from Jeff Ns for sale ad, to be the same fittings as used in the Lynskey stems.

I actually think is quite overbuilt and I have zero concern about its safety. Definitely worth considering at 25% of a comparable custom.

I also have a Ti post from the same source and it is also solid and overbuilt.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:02 PM

Steve Potts does TI stems also.
If chrome is your thing consider a custom Winter stem, I have one that truly is a unicorn.
Good Luck.