Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Redemption ride - finishing unfinished business / Old school vs New

So last week i rode a metric route (most of) that Adam P here put together. Unfortunately at the tail end, my RD grenaded itself and i had to walk my ass out with zero cell coverage.

Wanted to knock it out as i felt the route left unfinished business.

Rode the bulk of the route the first time on the carbon wonderbike, very much comparable to a current pro-level race bike. Second go-around was with the Merckx since the carbon bike is OOS for the moment, The Merckx is a very typical of an early 90's pro-level race bike.

Both bikes set up with similar gearing, very similar stack/reach. same shoes/pedals.

Oof, zero comparison. The carbon modern bike is better in every single category than the yesteryear steel bike. Dont get me wrong, the Merckx is a great, comfortable versatile bike, and rides great in it's own regard, but there is no question the modern carbon bike excels in every single respect. Just an observation having ridden basically the same route back to back.

Anyway, lovely day out in the catskills yesterday. With some detouring final stats were about 70 miles and just a hair over 7500' elevation.

Photos:

Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Wow you live in a nice area to ride! Wish I had scenery like that to enjoy. Plus you probably encountered very few other riders on the ride. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Hey there, wow yes what a nice place to ride. That is some impressive miles and elevation as well. I am curious about the stone structure is it a gazebo for just hanging out and taking in the scenery or a picnic shelter? It looks like all the stones are locked together but I don't see any mortar except on the roof. Do you have anymore information about it?
Anyway have a great day.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:53 AM

Sweet ride! Beautiful area and great you got back out there.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM

It makes me laugh how some people, especially on this forum, will swear up and down that their vintage steel bike is as fast/stiff/comfortable as a good carbon bike.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
Hey there, wow yes what a nice place to ride. That is some impressive miles and elevation as well. I am curious about the stone structure is it a gazebo for just hanging out and taking in the scenery or a picnic shelter? It looks like all the stones are locked together but I don't see any mortar except on the roof. Do you have anymore information about it?
Anyway have a great day.
John, I wish i knew more. This was set in off the road a bit and i had to go walk over to look at it. it's really a work of art and beautiful structure that really caught my eye. it's kind of in the middle of nowhere too with nothing around it, i would love to know what it is myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It makes me laugh how some people, especially on this forum, will swear up and down that their vintage steel bike is as fast/stiff/comfortable as a good carbon bike.

haha, truth. those that think their 90's steel race bike can compete with a current pro level race bike are fooling themselves. no question.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I'm that guy and I can show the logs to back it up. Of course that just means that any bike is hampered by me, LOL!

For the most part I'd say it's the steel ones that are pretty much updated with modern wheels and components. This year since coming off 7 months down my fastest ride over my normal 27 mile daily route was surprisingly on the Giordana Polaris with is running Dura Ace 7400 DT shifters and period correct wheels. That surprises me a bit. I'd think it be one of the Y-Foils or one of the steel frames running modern 11 speed gear. The Y-Foils feel the fastest on the road.

Anyway, I've got 10 years of logs that show I was really not faster on my Madone 5.9 or Scott CR1 Pro in relation to a good many of my steel bikes. Reality for me may be different for others.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
Anyway have a great day.
I don't know anything about this particular structure, but dry stone construction is a wonderful New England craft that is still practiced today. I visited the Stone Trust in Dummerston VT last year and learned a lot about it. They offer classes and certification--it's quite an amazing art and a wonderful place to visit! It's located on a farm with amazing heirloom apples.

https://thestonetrust.org/
Old 09-24-2020, 10:18 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I'm that guy and I can show the logs to back it up. Of course that just means that any bike is hampered by me, LOL!
This for me. 20 years ago probably not the case. Back when I used to actually Avg over 20 mpg even solo FTPin along...

I am pretty glad I still am reasonably fast and riding go fast bikes @ 63... But in my mind I am not in my 60s, so by my own gauge I ain't too fast.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
This for me. 20 years ago probably not the case. Back when I used to actually Avg over 20 mpg even solo FTPin along...

I am pretty glad I still am reasonably fast and riding go fast bikes @ 63... But in my mind I am not in my 60s, so by my own gauge I ain't too fast.
To be honest, I made the decision to sell the C.F. several years ago when I was averaging in the 19 mph range for eveything but climbing rides.

Sorta sad that I've been back on the bikes now since July and still not getting back to those speeds.

A few years back I spent like $100 bucks to rent a Trek Domane for a day. Put on my own wheels and saddle and dailed in my normal fit. Then I took it out on the same chipseal, cracked mess of roads I ride daily. Just couldn't compare to the ride of most of my steel on these rough roads. The steel bikes just handle them better for whatever reason. I was actually surprised and saddened by this. Wanted a Domane.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:39 AM

I miss riding my bike in NJ. Austin was a nice place to ride 10 years ago but no more.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
The steel bikes just handle them better for whatever reason.
Flex, in all the right places [hopefully]

Quote:
I was actually surprised and saddened by this. Wanted a Domane.
I have a Team Issue Domane Classics with 30.5mm tires. The frame itself is such a weapon, I shutter to think what it might feel like without the ISO seat mast device and ISO steerer wall thickness. Steel fork still my preference.

I actually got down to one carbon fork my last steel only period. But then a few plastic frames presented I always wanted to ride. So now a Look 585, The Team Issue Domane and S-Works Tarmac managed to get in my quiver when I was not looking. It is all good....

I only keep it because it is my favorite front end I have ever ridden on a bike. 72.8 HTA and lowish trail. I'll mimic it if I even do a custom again...

The S-Works Tarmac is also easy to classify as a weapon. How all these plastic bikes infiltrated [when I wasn't looking] my mostly steel Frame/Fork only quiver says something I suppose....
Old 09-24-2020, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Interestingly, and informed by these experiences, i have a milestone birthday coming up in 2021, and i will be commissioning an all steel bicycle that will rival modern carbon - that's the challenge/plan anyway.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:46 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Super Pics BTW.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Super Pics BTW.
Thanks, but maybe the real photographers can tell me how i can improve them? Many of the photos the "blue" of the sky seems so washed out and hazy, which was not the case at all, the actual sky was a very vibrant, popping blue. Maybe it's my camera, but i think i can do better!