Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 03:07 PM

Grew up around Land Rovers & Toyotas. My first truck was a 1989 FJ62 that I foolishly let go for a song before I got more into Toyotas.

From there I jumped to a 2002 Tacoma that only lasted a year before I moved to Brooklyn. Would like to get back to a 01/02 Tacoma one of these days.

And when I moved back out West I switched to a 2001 4Runner that's been nothing but a great friend.

Death Valley National Park (2006)
Back when you could still gas up at Scotty's Castle and taking photos with your iPhone wasn't a thing yet.

Pine Forest Range, Nev. (2018)
With the buds and their 2001(?) Tundra.

Plumas National Forest, Calif. (2018)
Canoes are neat.

Death Valley National Park (2020)
One of the last photos I have of normalcy. A week of solo backcountry in the Park and came back to Covid-19. Neat.

And, bringing it full circle, this is what I really wish we could get here in the States.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post

Plumas National Forest, Calif. (2018)
Canoes are neat..
Man......I'm a sucker for silver trucks. Very handsome rig !!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:18 PM

I wish I had a 60 series but they are so expensive now.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:28 PM

Love Landcruisers!! Drove a RHD ‘91 80 series, turbo diesel for about 10 years. Sold it 3 years ago and now have a Tacoma. The 80 was an awesome awesome truck. Mine was complete stock and it was VERY capable on some very challenging terrain over the years. When I hear about the fuel mileage for the gas engines I’m sure glad I had a turbo diesel. On long trips with the cruise set I’d regularly get just north of 30 miles / imperial gallon. The sound of the turbo spooling up was music to my ears. I’ll see if I can find a photo of it.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpamplin View Post
What a nostalgic thread. The first vehicle I ever owned was a ‘72 FJ40. Bought it for $3,200 in 1992 and drove it for 4 years all over southern British Columbia. Doors and hardtop came off in April and went back on in October. I put on new tires (31s salvaged from a wrecked 4Runner) and welded a steel plate to the rusted driver’s side floorboard to keep the seat from falling through. Sold it (for $3,200) when I moved away to university in 1996. I’ve been half-heartedly looking for a replacement ever since.
I had a 73 FJ40 when I was in college back in the 90's. Had an awful home brew camo paint job. I stripped it and painted it gloss white with black accents. Loved that rig and is the reason I eventually picked up the 60.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forty1 copy.jpg (69.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Forty2 copy.jpg (67.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:04 PM

Why do you guys hate the Earth so much?
Old 05-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 PM

I'm pretty sure driving a land cruiser for 30 years is about the same impact to the environment as strip mining a mountain for lithium and producing a new Prius then driving the prius for 30 years and replacing the battery several times, if you want to talk about hating the earth. Not to mention as far as off road vehicles even new ones aren't much if any more efficient and they also have to be produced so keeping a used one is probably better for the earth in that case. Lastly you can't even buy a useable electric 4x4 so that's a non starter for a comparison.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I love the earth. That's why I keep and maintain a 24 yr old truck instead of buying and buying. I build it to suit my needs, and keep it.

Imagine if everyone kept their vehicles for two decades. We would demand higher quality and durability. We would not be consumers, but focus on more important things, like...
enjoying and learning about our backcountry and nature. To explore and appreciate it on a deep, experiential level. To integrate it into our life.

Most people do not even know what they are looking at, nor interested in it. A truck is a tool, just like a bike.
There are a lot of parallels but you have to fight through a lot of ignorance on both fronts. Constantly.

Do you know who the Earth hates? Believe me, it's not the guy camping in Death Valley, appreciating the stars by campfire and the wonder of the Racetrack and moving rocks.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
This statement, assuming I understand it correctly, is full of unwarranted judgement. My ex wife was extremely sensitive to the environmental impact of cars. My sister drove a Ford Expedition and ex wife would frequently remark at my sister's environmental insensitivity. Problem was, my sister works 2 miles from home and would put about 5K miles annually on her gas guzzler. Ex wife would drive 1.5 hrs to get her hair cut and put 20K miles annually on her car. Her self superiority wore on me.

I drive an electric car, but would like to get an old one of these to do the occasional duties that the electric car can't handle. Maybe I'll put 2Kmi/yr on mine but that won't mean I hate the Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post

Do you know who the Earth hates? Believe me, it's not the guy camping in Death Valley, appreciating the stars by campfire and the wonder of the Racetrack and moving rocks.
^This.

I'm not into guns or hunting, but know plenty of dudes who shoot ducks and other creatures, yet respect wildlife more than those espousing green virtues from inside their McMansions with the A/C set at 66degrees.

Last edited by mistermo; 05-29-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Because it's responsible for humans.

Have a great weekend!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
Love Landcruisers!! Drove a RHD ‘91 80 series, turbo diesel for about 10 years. Sold it 3 years ago and now have a Tacoma. The 80 was an awesome awesome truck. Mine was complete stock and it was VERY capable on some very challenging terrain over the years. When I hear about the fuel mileage for the gas engines I’m sure glad I had a turbo diesel. On long trips with the cruise set I’d regularly get just north of 30 miles / imperial gallon. The sound of the turbo spooling up was music to my ears. I’ll see if I can find a photo of it.

Too bad they didn't sell some of the diesel options here in the States. I considered the propane conversion at one time but ultimately decided to leave it pretty much stock.

W.,
Old 05-29-2020, 08:18 PM

60 is the best body style of all time but motor can't get out of it's way and will rust before your eyes. i'll take a well kept modern v8 4.7 or 5.7 any day over those hogs. the 60s are still highly functional and reliable and far easier to work on though. one thing i like about the newer v8s is how cool they run. they rarely get over 190 while my i6 jeep struggles to stay below 215 in the summer. it does a lot for the longevity of the engine and everything else under the hood really.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
60 is the best body style of all time but motor can't get out of it's way and will rust before your eyes. i'll take a well kept modern v8 4.7 or 5.7 any day over those hogs. the 60s are still highly functional and reliable and far easier to work on though. one thing i like about the newer v8s is how cool they run. they rarely get over 190 while my i6 jeep struggles to stay below 215 in the summer. it does a lot for the longevity of the engine and everything else under the hood really.
My 3F-E runs cool even with AC on but I have a gigantic aftermarket aluminum radiator made for the diesel 80 series.