Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Seven Cycles is killing it right now

Talk about being innovative and being honest:

http://www.sevencycles.com/options/xx.php

Seven is really embarking on a great adventure with things like the above link and the new 2x2 Evergreen model (image stolen from their instagram feed below).

After riding my Seven for 5 years, I am far from being tired of it. It's an awesome machine, but they are making it hard not to **want** a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 14.26.13.jpg (92.5 KB, 822 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

meh. Love my seven but not for any of those reasons. I think I am just stuck in my old was, tho. I like flat top tubes, rim brakes with campy and road bikes that have a really nice ride.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Yours truly

Rubbish. If you want a lightweight frame/bike then you would get a carbon fiber one. Besides, Firefly is the king of New England Ti builder so who would need anything else.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 AM

That new XX lightweight is nice, like the internal seatpost clamp.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM

I saw the XX option a couple of months ago. If I was interested in an Evergreen I would much rather spend the money on the carbon tubed Pro model. It would probably weigh less, have a better ride quality, less likely to fail, and cost about the same.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 AM

I like their road stuff.

The Evergreen Pro I saw was fantastic, but the gravel stuff ain't my thing.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

The XX is an interesting exercise and certainly looked nice when I saw it in person, but I can't really imagine (anyone) ever buying one. Buying a metal disc bike and being weight-obsessed are incompatible IMO, especially if you have the money for an XX. If you're not weight-obsessed, you don't care about (and certainly don't want to pay for) the little details that make the XX lighter, and if you do care, it's probably still too heavy.

The dropped-chainstay "2x2" is interesting because the dropped chainstay really only matters if you are trying to get exceptionally short chainstays. The XX on their blog has exceptionally long ones, and I'm sure that frame can clear a Byway (or bigger) just fine as it sits. It's nice I guess that Seven is willing to go with a customer's preference for short stays though, and I suppose it's the customer's money after all.

I also think that 2x2 is trying to do too much in one bike; when you start splitting your cables so that you can swap an entirely separate handlebar onto the bike, it might just be time to buy a hardtail.

Their less extreme bikes can be very nice. I really like their raw ti frames with the "oversized" decals you occasionally see.

Last edited by sandyrs; 02-22-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:56 AM

That bike is definitely not my bag in the looks department. I bet it rides nice though.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 AM

for some reason a bunch of people are obsessed with short chainstays. The dropped stay solution is an interesting option to achieve this, I wonder how it compares to a machined yoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
The XX is an interesting exercise and certainly looked nice when I saw it in person, but I can't really imagine (anyone) ever buying one. Buying a metal disc bike and being weight-obsessed are incompatible IMO, especially if you have the money for an XX. If you're not weight-obsessed, you don't care about (and certainly don't want to pay for) the little details that make the XX lighter, and if you do care, it's probably still too heavy.

The dropped-chainstay "2x2" is interesting because the dropped chainstay really only matters if you are trying to get exceptionally short chainstays. The XX on their blog has exceptionally long ones, and I'm sure that frame can clear a Byway (or bigger) just fine as it sits. It's nice I guess that Seven is willing to go with a customer's preference for short stays though, and I suppose it's the customer's money after all.

I also think that 2x2 is trying to do too much in one bike; when you start splitting your cables so that you can swap an entirely separate handlebar onto the bike, it might just be time to buy a hardtail.

Their less extreme bikes can be very nice. I really like their raw ti frames with the "oversized" decals you occasionally see.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM

I think this is a win win for the consumer. Seven already builds great ti bikes but is now offering some additional weight savings on their frame. For most ti lovers these changes won't matter but in a carbon crazed industry it might attract some new interest in their frames.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Still think they behind Moots, Firefly and Mosaic if aesthetic is what the customer is after.

Lack of internal routing for brake cable is puzzling for a bike that expensive...

Having said that i saw some Evergreen on the road and they look great and better priced than the 3 above.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Seven

Yes- Seven is killing it right now.

Their bikes are hitting the mark for function-

But if weight is your main concern, carbon will always win that battle.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Yes- Seven is killing it right now.

Their bikes are hitting the mark for function-

But if weight is your main concern, carbon will always win that battle.
perhaps, and yes, a lot of this bike is carbon (though classy tubed carbon). but at 15.9lbs with pedals, cages, a saddle bag flat kit, and my computer mounted, who needs lighter?
[IMG]lovely day by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM

I think that you guys are missing the point.

If a customer want to get a Ti ride, saving weight will make sense. I prefer light Ti than a plastic bike. So the XX project is smart.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Matt is just being unfair!