Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Worth the price of admission, yes. I give it a thumbs sideways. I thought they spent a bit too much time uptalking injury and perils. The best comedic relief came from spouses/SOs of MAMILS and it was humorous to watch their responses to the MAMIL culture. I'd recommend it, but had higher hopes for something more funny.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
will wait for it to hit Netflix...
mee too
Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM

For those curious enough north of the border:
https://ca.demand.film/mamil/
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM
TooSlowToCare

Saw it last night like others. I think it was a balanced point of view. The pleasure, the benefits, and the obsession of cycling was well done. There was the injury downside, however not one of the injured said they would not ride again. Injuries do happen. I had a broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade, three broken ribs, and a collapsed lung. So I can identify with them and my wife also saw the movie would agree. The theater was nearly full. The audience laughed and clapped at many scenes.

The lighter side was the obsession with equipment. New bike, wheels, components, etc. all to be a little faster or more nibble or climb faster longer. The excessive purchases hidden from the spouse was pretty funny especially when my wife turns to me and says "I know about those carbon wheels you ordered. SO now you have more wheels than bikes, why?" Sounds like many on this forum!

The other interesting person in the movie I found was the guy with MS. There was an article written about him by his wife 3 or 4 years ago in a London newspaper where she works. She started the piece with his cycling obsession, how many bikes, wheels, parts kits, when will it never end. The sacrifice of riding to exhaustion to accomplish what? Clearly from non cyclist spouse's point of view. As the piece went on you get the humor she was conveying. The last paragraph described his bout with MS. How he was diagnosed and what cycling did for him. So it concluded with her support for him.

I doubt this movie will make it to Netflix or Amazon Prime. The on demand scheme of distribution will not support online streaming.

Last edited by LesMiner; 02-22-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:10 PM

I am with you, mistermo, on the horizontal thumb vote; was getting a bit depressed/bored by the on-going jabber about injuries and the spouse feedback.

Positive overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Worth the price of admission, yes. I give it a thumbs sideways. I thought they spent a bit too much time uptalking injury and perils. The best comedic relief came from spouses/SOs of MAMILS and it was humorous to watch their responses to the MAMIL culture. I'd recommend it, but had higher hopes for something more funny.

Last edited by BlueFly; 02-22-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: credit
Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Mildly entertaining but if they really wanted juicy material for the movie, the producers should have tapped the PL forum long ago
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM

We had a good sized group of MAMILs and WoMAMILS. Overall, it was a good movie and I think everyone could identify with one or more of the central characters and/or their significant other. Everyone enjoyed it. More importantly, a bunch of us went out after for a drink and some food for the social side of things and it rounded out a nice way to spend a Wednesday evening. Sometimes it's not about the ride but the journey.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 PM

Smile hey wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
...is showing across the country tonight. I plan to go here, locally. Anyone else going?

https://us.demand.film/mamil/
what about us old men
sometimes lycra
sometimes not
never in Rapha