Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 03:21 PM

I started riding before wife-the-current (and last, thank you) came into the picture. I made it clear she had no say in whether I did or did not ride my motorcycle, but I conceded the life insurance policy as a compromise.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM

Of all the two and four wheeled vehicles I have owned, powered and unpowered, the one I wish I kept was the thumper I had in high school, a 1966 Ducati Scrambler. Bright yellow, great sound, a bit of a trick for a 135 pound kid to start...photo from the web attached, mine was not as refined
Old 02-21-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Of all the two and four wheeled vehicles I have owned, powered and unpowered, the one I wish I kept was the thumper I had in high school, a 1966 Ducati Scrambler. Bright yellow, great sound, a bit of a trick for a 135 pound kid to start...photo from the web attached, mine was not as refined
You were a lucky kid!
Old 02-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Ah, A BSA 441 "Victim". Really fun when they ran. If I remember correctly these were developed by putting a bigger cylinder on their 250cc bottom end so that may explain their fragility.
Beat the heck out of you riding it and yes Ken it seemed we were always fixing something on it.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 PM

I was watching Jay Leno's garage Sunday night and first saw these new offerings. The 701 is sharp and I wouldn't turn it down but I kinda like the KTM 690 Duke. I think it's cheaper in price too.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I had one very much like this in 1965. I think mine was a 1963 or 1964 250cc Scrambler. I bought it from a guy who had raced it. I don't know what he might have done to it but I had no trouble keeping up with a pal who had a Triumph Bonneville TT that should have been much faster. The Ducati had no speedo or muffler when I got it. I added a Racket Buster to the end of the straight pipe to make it a LITTLE quieter without noticeably reducing the performance.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Didn't they make an awesome sound? I wonder, if you found one, how hard it would be to keep it running - parts, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I had one very much like this in 1965. I think mine was a 1963 or 1964 250cc Scrambler. I bought it from a guy who had raced it. I don't know what he might have done to it but I had no trouble keeping up with a pal who had a Triumph Bonneville TT that should have been much faster. The Ducati had no speedo or muffler when I got it. I added a Racket Buster to the end of the straight pipe to make it a LITTLE quieter without noticeably reducing the performance.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I was watching Jay Leno's garage Sunday night and first saw these new offerings. The 701 is sharp and I wouldn't turn it down but I kinda like the KTM 690 Duke. I think it's cheaper in price too.
Those look pretty nice as well!

William
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM

I'm really intrigued by this simply because they handle so much like a bike and would be great as a city commuter. As a non car owner a small bike would be nice for running errands or just getting out of town. That said, maybe not so much fun in snow or rain, and no cargo capability.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Husqavarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
I'm really intrigued by this simply because they handle so much like a bike and would be great as a city commuter. As a non car owner a small bike would be nice for running errands or just getting out of town. That said, maybe not so much fun in snow or rain, and no cargo capability.
According to the rep in the video they have bags and other accessories for carrying...so there is that.

William
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I'd rather hit the deck at 50mph wearing full moto gear, than hit the deck at 20 wearing lycra.
Maybe on a race track. It's whats waiting at the end of "the deck" that concerns me. I've lost friends who didn't have that opportunity.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
When it comes to interacting with traffic, it's speed differential that is dangerous, not so much the actual moving speed.
True. A common type of motorcycle accident is cars making left-hand turns in front of riders. The car driver often comes in contact with the rider while the motorcycle is going through an intersection at a much higher speed.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 PM

Drool, that 701 would be perfect for my reentry into motorcycling, but 3 little kids and traffic everywhere here in Chicagoland = unlikely for daddy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 AM

My first motorcycle, back in the late 70's, was a thumper. Still have fond memories of that one even though I now ride a BMW S1000R, about as far from that bike as you could get.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KL250_4.jpg (102.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:30 AM

I have an adventurized Suzuki DR650 but would love to have a 701 Husky enduro