Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM

F IT

Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
You may also gain a little more room by using sheldon fender nuts:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/she...ender-nut-pair
Since those are out of stock, you could accomplish something similar with a long brake nut and a short bushing or tube that fits around it and into the fork recess. But you'd still have to open up the slot in the fender bracket.

The Sheldon thing is cool because you can leave your brake alone when you remove the fenders and it don't need to modify the fender. (I'm assuming the Sheldon gizmo has an inter allen cut.)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 AM

While I have access to some machining tools, I'm trying to keep this particular bike project simple compared to all of my other complicated projects lol. I've already sunk 2-3 times the price of the bike into parts for the conversion that was supposed to be my rainy day ride, and don't really want to repaint the fork or go too crazy. I'll see what I can rig up in semi-stock form and go from there.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:14 PM

The daruma bolt and barrel nut combination will pull the top surface of the fender into full contact with steerer surface in the fork crown. Can't get any further than that. Would still make a washer, from a worn tire, or a double layer of innertube, to fit between the fender and fork.

You also might find that brake impinge on the fender as they close or the fender necks in within the fork where the fork legs contact the fender sidewalls. A carefully applied heat gun can help with the second issue.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
The daruma bolt and barrel nut combination will pull the top surface of the fender into full contact with steerer surface in the fork crown. Can't get any further than that. Would still make a washer, from a worn tire, or a double layer of innertube, to fit between the fender and fork.

You also might find that brake impinge on the fender as they close or the fender necks in within the fork where the fork legs contact the fender sidewalls. A carefully applied heat gun can help with the second issue.
Or you could do the same thing with wire, cord or a zip tie.