Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Alrighty then!! Time is ticking and we are only 5 weeks away.

Does anyone have a contact for a bike rental on the East Coast of Oahu? Any friends with a decent bike who would want to loan it out in the event that I cannot find a bike rental place? There is one that I can see in Lanikai, so I guess I just go with that one.

Thanks for your inputs. I cannot wait to get the hell out of this rainy winter.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Best bike rental place on the east (windward side) would be The Bike Shop in Kailua. They have a few locations on the island, however, their Kailua location would be closest to you since you'll be staying in Lanikai.

If you're staying in Lanikai, take the kids up the Pillbox Hike for sunrise. Because of the time difference, you'll be up pretty early anyways so the hike is a must to catch sunrise. The hike pretty easy and the lookout is a reward.

As for bike routes/places to visit, I'd recommend checking out:

Island Triathlon & Bike (McCully Area)
The Bike Shop (Aiea, Kailua, Honolulu)

If you have time to tour, my buddy runs Outta Bounds Hawaii (same location as IT&B above)

http://www.outtaboundshawaii.com/

I lived on Oahu for a number of years so if you need any advice, feel free to PM me. Regardless of what you do out there, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Also, since you're in the area, go check out Boots & Kimo's and get the Macadamia Nut Pancakes.

You'll thank me later.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I...shaved ice
I have nothing to add since my only Hawaii experience is Maui. However, I have a hard learned lesson to share.

It's shave ice. Not shaved ice. I don't know the reason, I was not allowed to ask. But the locals are understandably touchy about it especially when you're in line in front of them waiting for shave ice. Remember.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I have nothing to add since my only Hawaii experience is Maui. However, I have a hard learned lesson to share. It's shave ice. Not shaved ice. I don't know the reason, I was not allowed to ask. But the locals are understandably touchy about it especially when you're in line in front of them waiting for shave ice. Remember.
It's a point but also note there isn't much you can do to avoid being ID'd as tourist. So don't say mahalo, brah and make it worse. just be yourself and enjoy the sun and the ocean.

Matsumotos is the iconic place on the north shore...
http://matsumotoshaveice.com/

I probably said it somewhere else but I'm in the camp that says forget the bike riding. There are so many other things you can do with your family instead of cycling on your own for a few hours.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Been there 9-10 times (have a bunch of family there), going again this summer.

The downside of staying on the Windward side is that there aren't really any valleys to climb up into -- it's really just the coastal road. Consider biking to the Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail on the southeastern corner, which is nicely paved but very steep. Rewarding view at the very top. Unfortunately you have to ride on 72 on the way there.

The classic Oahu climb/loop is Tantalus. Starts in Honolulu/Manoa. About 1500ft with many switchbacks, various leaves, vines, husks on the road fallen from unknown rainforest foliage. Great climb. The descent on the other side is a mirror image.

Perhaps if you just want to do one great ride, drive to Honolulu then climb up and down the various valleys + Tantalus. about 800ft on average each and there are 15-20 of them, take your pick

I've tried most of the shave ice places. Matsumotos was kinda cool 5 years ago but then it was renovated and streamlined for buses of tourists as with a lot of Haleiwa. My favorite shave ice, and also the most authentic is Waiola Shave Ice on Waiola St, middle a residential area (not the one in the windward mall). Not many tourists there, just locals really. Pretty sure it's Obama's pick too iirc

The most authentic poke is at Foodland Similarly, the most authentic spam musubi is at any 7-Eleven, wrapped in saran wrap and under a warm light so the rice can congeal with the spam, mmmm.

Malasadas at Leonards is essential as well. Then of course you have to try a plate lunch. I recommend getting a pork lau lau full plate. Really tasty taro leaves wrapping pork, probably the closest to native hawaiian cuisine you'll have. The more hole-in-the-wall the better. L&L is fine too though (hawaiian plate lunch chain). Helena's probably has the best authentic Hawaiian food, but ordering there can be complicated and the wait can be long.

Last edited by andrewsuzuki; 02-21-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM
v a n i l l a

...duplicate
Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsuzuki View Post
Been there 9-10 times (have a bunch of family there), going again this summer.

The downside of staying on the Windward side is that there aren't really any valleys to climb up into -- it's really just the coastal road. Consider biking to the Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail on the southeastern corner, which is nicely paved but very steep. Rewarding view at the very top. Unfortunately you have to ride on 72 on the way there.

The classic Oahu climb/loop is Tantalus. Starts in Honolulu/Manoa. About 1500ft with many switchbacks, various leaves, vines, husks on the road fallen from unknown rainforest foliage. Great climb. The descent on the other side is a mirror image.

Perhaps if you just want to do one great ride, drive to Honolulu then climb up and down the various valleys + Tantalus. about 800ft on average each and there are 15-20 of them, take your pick

I've tried most of the shave ice places. Matsumotos was kinda cool 5 years ago but then it was renovated and streamlined for buses of tourists as with a lot of Haleiwa. My favorite shave ice, and also the most authentic is Waiola Shave Ice on Waiola St, middle a residential area (not the one in the windward mall). Not many tourists there, just locals really. Pretty sure it's Obama's pick too iirc

The most authentic poke is at Foodland Similarly, the most authentic spam musubi is at any 7-Eleven, wrapped in saran wrap and under a warm light so the rice can congeal with the spam, mmmm.

Malasadas at Leonards is essential as well. Then of course you have to try a plate lunch. I recommend getting a pork lau lau full plate. Really tasty taro leaves wrapping pork, probably the closest to native hawaiian cuisine you'll have. The more hole-in-the-wall the better. L&L is fine too though (hawaiian plate lunch chain). Helena's probably has the best authentic Hawaiian food, but ordering there can be complicated and the wait can be long.
yes, i should have said M's is also a tourist spot BUT it has been ther for what half a century?

My favorite shave ice memory is the old grocery story in Haiku (Maui) where the ice was shaved off a block the old way, by a disc attached to a belt that was pumped by foot. the flakes were better, just awesome.

Like any place, the further away you get from the buses the better the experience will be.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 PM

Enjoy Hawai'i. I can't help much on Oahu. We always go to Maui recently but enjoy yourself. I'm actually sitting and eating freshly cut Maui gold pineapple.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I rented from Island Tri and Bike in Waikiki - they have BMC road bikes for rent
and the Wed night group ride (Pau Hana) is a great workout. About 2 hrs.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1305212263

Super nice and helpful team. You can rent online- I just called and they set it up with my measurements. Just bring your shoes, they probably have the pedals as well.

They even recommended good routes on the island to ride, so you can plan some routes before you go. Give them a call.
http://itbhawaii.com/

Last edited by pasadena; 02-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 PM

Yes, looking forward to it. As I said, most of my will be spent wrestling my kids in the waves, but I am pretty dedicated to the idea of riding once (just once) on the road, as pedalling in new places is one of my life’s great joys!

Nothing beats my ride by a lake in Minsk when I was there for work , in terms of complete weirdness. Oahu will no doubt be better
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM

We just arrived in Oahu yesterday and are staying on the East Side near Kualoa Ranch. I brought my bike. There's been a lot of rain (ending soon!) so the roads are pretty messy - lots of debris, etc. We're right off of 83 and although it's not ideal I am going to go for a few rides. Appreciate all the input on things to do - I'll certainly add my own over the next few days.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
We just arrived in Oahu yesterday and are staying on the East Side near Kualoa Ranch. I brought my bike. There's been a lot of rain (ending soon!) so the roads are pretty messy - lots of debris, etc. We're right off of 83 and although it's not ideal I am going to go for a few rides. Appreciate all the input on things to do - I'll certainly add my own over the next few days.
The Kam Highway is pretty much at its best around where you are. The downside is that there aren't really any other options. The only way to get to the other side of the mountains is the Pali Highway, which can be sketchy but is commonly ridden (speed limit is ~45mph).
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
PegoNagos

The hike to Manoa Falls is awesome - easy short hike and you can jump in the pool at the bottom of the falls too.