Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Hawaii-bound - recommendations...

It looks like we are going to Lanikai on Oahu next Spring. First off, I cant belive we booked so far in advance - this is a first!

Secondly, any advice on spending time there? I have a 6 and 8year old, so 95% of the time will be spent splashing around in the ocean, eating fish tacos, shaved ice and finding playgrounds to burn off energy.

The remaining 5% is potentially going to be used to rent a road bike and zip around for a day. has anyone rented a bike in this area and if so, can you please recommend whom I should contact?

Thanks for any advice.

Darren
Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM
tailgunning

don't forget plate lunch, musubi, and poke.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Cant wait !! We went to Maui two years ago and with 4 + 6 year olds and a limited budget, we spent most of our dinners eating pasta and fruit at our condo, as that is all we could muster. I want to get my monkeys (and my picky wife) trying more new things.

Also, a correction - the area is Kailua. The beach is called Lanikai. Kailua has a decent rental shop it seems. They rent BMCs, Treks and Focus at the moment, though you never know what will be there next year.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:36 PM

there is a trail off Hwy 61 which transverse the ridge. Go run along that with the kids.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Awesome!

And that shop that I found is going out of business just weeks after I am there. I don't trust that any bikes will be available.

There is no email address on their website. How unhelpful is that >??

Where to rent a road bike....?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Awesome!

And that shop that I found is going out of business just weeks after I am there. I don't trust that any bikes will be available.

There is no email address on their website. How unhelpful is that >??

Where to rent a road bike....?
I think you will find that small Hawaiian businesses are run very differently than on the mainland. Much more laid back with a very casual attitude. Like, if it’s a great surf day, who cares to keep the business open...Not at all what we are used to.

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:48 PM

If you go into town, (Honolulu), Island Triathalon and Bike rents decent stuff.

If you do a hike off of the Pali Highway, (61), don't leave anything in your rental car-this applies pretty much everywhere.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
It looks like we are going to Lanikai on Oahu next Spring. First off, I cant belive we booked so far in advance - this is a first!

Secondly, any advice on spending time there? I have a 6 and 8year old, so 95% of the time will be spent splashing around in the ocean, eating fish tacos, shaved ice and finding playgrounds to burn off energy.

The remaining 5% is potentially going to be used to rent a road bike and zip around for a day. has anyone rented a bike in this area and if so, can you please recommend whom I should contact?

Thanks for any advice.

Darren
Congratulations! We were there in August and stayed in the Turtle Bay Resort area further up the coast. We spent a day very close to Lanikai on Kailua Beach. It was a stunningly beautiful beach! Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of suggestions in the Lanikai area as we were staying further North, but I would suggest a drive on the H3 over to the H1. It's a newer highway that goes over the rainforest. It's really pretty!

We had an 11 and 9 year old on the trip and did a broad range of things that were kid friendly - snorkeling, horse rides, ATVs @ Kualoa Ranch (the site of multiple movies including Jurassic Park), a dolphin expedition, sailing, surf lessons (the kids did great!), a couple of hikes, and lots of beach time. Plenty to do.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 10-05-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Barely Hanging On

I don't have any suggestions for renting a bike, but I have been to Oahu a number of times and the Kailua area is my favorite. Although there are still a lot of tourists, it is way more chill than pretty much everywhere else. The beach is great. The kids may be old enough for some hikes and there are some good ones, though I can't remember what they all are since I'm never in charge. If you can rent a bike, the riding out of Kailua is good enough and it's pretty neat to just ride along the coast. Plus, you can head out really early and it's already warm enough and then you can get back for a full day with the family.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM

Did you check with the Bike Shop in Kailua? I've rented from the Honolulu location and it was good. You're on the good side of the island for riding. I live on Oahu for 3 years and survived the Leeward side but really enjoyed the windward side and North Shore for riding. Bikes will probably have Armadillo tires, it's the thing to have on Oahu.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM

A few family suggestions:

https://www.bishopmuseum.org/- easy drive access from Kailua side in to Honolulu or "town" via the Pali or Wilson tunnel. Great science and discovery museum exhibits for the kids excellent Hawaii history for all ages.

http://www.iolanipalace.org/visit/ - more cultural history given it was a sovereign country/nation before the US invaded and stole the land from the native Hawaiians. Free admission on Tuesdays.

Ho`omaluhia Botanical Gardens- http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/oahu/hoo...anical-garden/
Just next door in Kane`ohe town- Grab some bento box lunches at the 7/11 and picnic surrounded by beautiful foliage and stunning views of the Ko`olau mountains. You and your kids will dig the FREE catch and release fishing- GARANS!:
Saturdays & Sundays 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
This catch-and-release program is fun for the whole family. We provide bamboo poles with barbless hooks and you bring the bait -fresh white bread works great! You may also bring your own poles with barbless hooks. Fish commonly seen: tilapia and midas cichlid.
•Please check in at the Visitor Center. It is a 20 minute walk to the fishing area.
•Bamboo poles may be borrowed from 9:30 am until 1:00 pm, on a first come, first served basis.
•No casting allowed
•Recommended: walking shoes, insect repellent, rain gear
•Please call 808-233-7323 for more information

kanileaukulele.com- Also next door in Kane'ohe, take a free factory tour and see world class ukuleles being crafted. The owners Joe and Kristen Souza are the nicest folks. If in town, visit www.kamakahawaii.com one of, if not THE most iconic Ukulele builder also holds free daily tours.

For one of the best shave ice experiences, forget the Matsumoto hype. Go into town for a visit to Shimazu Store on School street. https://www.yelp.com/biz/shimazu-store-honolulu
Btw, in the islands it is "shave ice"- not "shaved ice". Shaved ice is some of the stuff sold at multiple of boba tea shops popping up all over the mainland.

Oh yeah, bike stuff. As mentioned ITB rents bikes. There is also The BIKE SHOP that charges $80/day for a Specialized or try BOCA for more competitive rates of $50/day. All of these places are in town. The Saturday ITB, 7:20 AM shop ride the 7:00 am Tantalus Tuesday hill climb are always fun and early to done and back to Windward side well before lunch hour.

Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 PM

Thanks enr1co - very helpful.

As a meticulous speller, it irks me to have to write, 'shave' ice. I know it's spelled that way, but I can't help changing it
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Another vote for poke!

I have been to the big island and Maui, both were awesome experiences. Roadies everywhere.

Sorry can't help on Oahu, but most of the shops rented on the 2 islands i was on.

Enjoy the trip,

Fish tacos will never be the same when you return to the contiguous 48
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM

I like the guy who owns "Bikeadelic" on Waikiki. Super nice guy and has reasonably good quality Treks for rent. I don't have to rent, but usually drop by to schmooze when I am on the island. I recommend riding Tantalus if you are into climbing, or out to the Lighthouse for a longer, flatter ride (from Waikiki).

Tradewinds cycling team does some nice group rides over the weekends. that's fun too.

Captstash....
Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 PM

As a now 6-time visitor of Oahu (we stay in Ko Olina on the western shore), is recommend a place not far from Lanikai called Boots & Kimos for some
Macadamia nut pancakes and a bacon omelette (also known as eggs wrapping like a 1/2lb of bacon).

My wife always loves going to the Dole plantation for some dole whip the train tour and the huge hedge maze.

I like going to Hanauma bay for snorkeling.

Lanikao os nice but there’s no public restrooms at the beach, and the snorkeling is non-existent.

The hike up diamond head is nice. Time that so you arrive first thing when the park opens are at two hour intervals thereafter so you don’t sit waiting on parking.

If you’re into Asian food stop at Marukame Udon in downtown Honolulu for some awesome legit Udon noodles.

If you’re into fried breads get some Leonards malasadas they’re awesome.

Never ridden on the island personally but I’ve heard it’s not necessarily super bike friendly.

Remember your sunscreen. Even in the spring the sun can burn you quickly.