Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 PM

A decent budget DT trout line is Hook and Hackle company's house brand H&H Classic High Floater line. I have this on 3 reels - 3-5wt for several seasons. They seem to cast and hold up great for the money, and I especially like that they come in Olive, which I personally prefer over more garish colored floaters, at least for smaller trout streams -YMMV.

Made in USA too - possibly by Cortland?, as they also sell a lot of Cortland stuff. Keep an eye out for Sales, otherwise $39.95.

http://store.hookhack.com/HH-Double-.../products/715/

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
Can you suggest a couple of double taper lines that would recommend? Let's say 3 wt this go round. I have a spare spool for one of my reels so I can downsize to a 3 wt Rod.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
What would it take to get one or two of those steelhead flies? Those are beautiful!
give me some time and ill shoot a couple your way. my vise needs a pick me up, some broken bis after traveling with it.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Can you suggest a couple of double taper lines that would recommend? Let's say 3 wt this go round. I have a spare spool for one of my reels so I can downsize to a 3 wt Rod.
You can get some really inexpensive DT3F lines. You may find a DT, because of the continuous thicker section, will cast just a bit heavier than a WF3 so it may load your rod a bit more or even work well on a 4wt rod. As always, you want to try it out. But you can get budget Cortland DT3's and the same lines that they relabel for a number of major sporting goods houses and be very happy with them. High-end DT3's offer a slightly softer cast and a bit more delicacy, but for what you're fishing for, you don't need to spend that extra amount.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 PM

If you guys were going to spend between $200-$250 on a set of stocking foot waders, what would you buy?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
If you guys were going to spend between $200-$250 on a set of stocking foot waders, what would you buy?
Converse -- I particularly like the red ones.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
the orvis sonic seams in that budget
Old 08-13-2016, 02:59 PM

Do you have a body shape that's out of the norm? Then you might want to buy some pricey waders as they'll come in long, short, and king sizes.

Otherwise, just buy something cheap: most everything is breathable with neoprene feet at this point. And buy some aquaseal to patch up the inevitable holes.

The only way that you'll get your money's worth out of pricey waders is if you fish 50+ days a year.

Costco periodically sells waders, and I think Walmart does as well. Get whatever they've got and spend your cash elsewhere, like on having a wider selection of flies for whatever you'll be fishing for.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 PM

Bumping this old thread. Anyone doing any fly fishing lately. Our weather is starting to warm so we will be back on the water before too long.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM

Its winter steelhead here, im about to suit up to go freeze my nuts off. the run is taking its time getting here but some recent rain should bring in the fish. lets hope for the big tug today. also been back at the vice, ill post some fly pics later on.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:44 AM

Waiting for April and the return of the schoolies.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Its winter steelhead here, im about to suit up to go freeze my nuts off. the run is taking its time getting here but some recent rain should bring in the fish. lets hope for the big tug today. also been back at the vice, ill post some fly pics later on.
Post up some pics of some steelhead if you land any.

Last edited by msl819; 01-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 AM

I've been doing the catch and release winter season. These pics are from southeastern Minnesota. Right in the same neighborhood as the Almonzo 100 gravel ride in the spring. The day I took these pics it was -13 and I didn't last very long. I usually pick up a few Brookies, Rainbows and a Brown or two. Most are very small, but you can occasionally find some plump Browns.

[IMG] by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Whitewater State Park in southeastern Minnesota. Middle Branch of the Whitewater River. by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2018, 03:14 PM

I’d rather be fishing in. -13 than on a bike but either way that is cold. That’s makes a hot shower and warm fire feel all the better.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I’d rather be fishing in. -13 than on a bike but either way that is cold. That’s makes a hot shower and warm fire feel all the better.
I parked 150 feet from the river and followed the deer paths.

Falling in with waders at that temp is ill advised.

I set up the line in the truck and just walked out with the gear ready to fish.

I fished three 45 minute stretches. In between, I had hot coffee in the truck and some sandwiches.

Two couples were fishing the next pool and they stood out in the river for two straight hours.

Yuck.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I parked 150 feet from the river and followed the deer paths.

Falling in with waders at that temp is ill advised.

I set up the line in the truck and just walked out with the gear ready to fish.

I fished three 45 minute stretches. In between, I had hot coffee in the truck and some sandwiches.

Two couples were fishing the next pool and they stood out in the river for two straight hours.

Yuck.
I think my next fishing related purchase will be a roof mount rod vault. Rigging up by the water is my least favorite part when all you want to do is go fishing. That would certainly be more true at -13. I always break my rods down after fishing and for storage for safety.