Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM

IMO The lapse of the assault weapons ban in 2004 is one of the most crucial domestic public policy errors in the past few decades.

Very difficult to get a Genie back into the bottle.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
I bet if most of us dug into any of the products or companies we "like" we'd find many things objectionable, or things others deem objectionable.

Ammunition is legal
Firearms are legal
Bicycle pumps are legal
Diversifying a company to maximize revenue is legal (for now)

Giro won't get my business only because their helmets don't fit my head well.
Things that are legal are not always ethical. And when one discovers facts about companies that are doing things that conflict with one's personal ethical and moral beliefs, we can act accordingly.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Simple manufacturing is one thing. If you look at the various posts on the subject, some of the umbrella, like Federal and Savage are strong supporters of the NRA and NRA TV which enters a strong political realm, as anyone who has watched Ms. Loesch understands.

Regardless of what side you are on, there is a political component to this. Yes, there are many facets of conglomeration in modern capitalism but we can make choices.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
And when one discovers facts about companies that are doing things that conflict with one's personal ethical and moral beliefs, we can act accordingly.
I think this sums it up pretty well. To each their own.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM

I'll chime in that this info IS useful to me. They are doing business legally, and that makes their choices legal. Did some quick web searches and...

My personal ethics require me to take notice, and make my choice to stop buying all that stuff. I own a great pair of Cebe(sic) glasses, and a few nice Giro helmets. Now I have a reason to shop their competitors. No big deal.

Thanks for the info, which I find relevant to my bike-related spending.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
wow, like a bad penny...this'un already closed..

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218220

Third time?

Easier for me to buy a Giro helmet because of this than a 'food' owned by these guys

http://archive.tobacco.org/Resources/00pmbrands.html

Yup, yer Oreo's are owned by PM
Kraft/Nabisco was spun off by PM/Altria in 2007, so no need to stop eating oreos... beyond that you may need to stop eating too many oreos.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM

Do the firearms companies support the NRA? Yes. Do I support the NRA? No. At least not directly. I steadfastly refuse to become a member until people like Lapierre are gone. Sadly, who knows what the replacement would be like. Sorta like the POTUS situation.
If it gives you a warm fuzzy "do good" feeling to not spend money with a diversified company who just happens to own an evil gun or ammunition company, have at it.
Just remember: Every special interest group spends money buying political influence. Want to complain about the NRA? Their just playing the same game as every other interest group, even those you support.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Thank you for posting- I did not know.

I own giro helmets (the only helmet brand I have ever bought for the last 20
Years) and Giro kit: products I really like very much (especially their bike clothes- I have a few pair of their shorts).

Not sure I plan on getting rid of it- but it certainly stops me from buying anything else Giro.
Gun themselves I have no issue- but the politics attached to them and their lobbying power are much to swallow - especially in the face of continuous violence.

I appreciate knowing as a consumer what social and ethical standards companies abide by as a way to decide how to spend my monies.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Decades ago, there was a book published (books, publishing were things) called, I think, Everybody’s Business. It was an eye opener on conglomerates at the time. It is a good thing for consumers to be informed so that if there is a decision to be made on a personal basis, it can be.

I choose to try to support enterprises and products that are good for society, that treat employees well, that measure their effect on the environment, that are made in my country, among numerous criteria, in no particular order. OldP brings up a sound point about Oreos that can be extrapolated easily to other companies. As a gun owner who believes that the ‘well-regulated’ qualification of Militias has not been sufficiently associated with the right to bear arms, I don’t blame the gun industry as much as our willingness as a society to accept anarchy as the cost of the right to bear arms. Instead, we could, as a first step, ask for competence. If the country speaks, the marketplace will respond.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbaz View Post
I bet if most of us dug into any of the products or companies we "like" we'd find many things objectionable, or things others deem objectionable.

Ammunition is legal
Firearms are legal
Bicycle pumps are legal
Diversifying a company to maximize revenue is legal (for now)

Giro won't get my business only because their helmets don't fit my head well.
Boycotting a company for any reason is also legal. In fact it's how the free market is supposed to work.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
Do the firearms companies support the NRA? Yes. Do I support the NRA? No. At least not directly. I steadfastly refuse to become a member until people like Lapierre are gone. Sadly, who knows what the replacement would be like. Sorta like the POTUS situation.
If it gives you a warm fuzzy "do good" feeling to not spend money with a diversified company who just happens to own an evil gun or ammunition company, have at it.
Just remember: Every special interest group spends money buying political influence. Want to complain about the NRA? Their just playing the same game as every other interest group, even those you support.
I'm not going to say that some companies don't support the NRA because some do. But most of the money going into the NRA are from everyday law abiding citizens who support the 2A. That being said there are many like yourself who don't feel that the NRA with its current leadership have the best interest of the supporting members and have been moving to the GOA. And you are also correct that the NRA is just one of multitudes of lobbying entities all pushing the agenda's they believe important.

William
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Small ring

All my Giro, Bell, Blackburn, and Camelback products are pre 2015. My Bushnell and Tasco binoculars are even older.

I'm good
Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
And you are also correct that the NRA is just one of multitudes of lobbying entities all pushing the agenda's they believe important.

William
Yup, there are plenty of industries lobbying, but for most, it has nothing to do with what they believe to be important, and everything to do with lining their own pockets.

lobbying is the thing that needs to be outlawed!

Why is it that every other Western country has rational gun control laws and also have a tiny fraction of the gun deaths that occur in the US? I believe there to be a strong correlation between the two...
Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Yup, there are plenty of industries lobbying, but for most, it has nothing to do with what they believe to be important, and everything to do with lining their own pockets.

lobbying is the thing that needs to be outlawed!
A lot of companies find money to be very important...hence the lobbying.

William
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Why is it that every other Western country has rational gun control laws and also have a tiny fraction of the gun deaths that occur in the US? I believe there to be a strong correlation between the two...

All I'm going to say is apples and oranges when you compare all the stats. But I'm going to leave it at that so this thread doesn't go any further than where it is already skirting.

William