Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM

as for aesthetics, No22 is every bit as exciting as Firefly right now for road bikes. Firefly has almost gone too weird for me to enjoy them anymore.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM

FF kills it on one level: mono stay!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
FF kills it on one level: mono stay!
??? Not sure what you are talking about here. By the way, I am no FF fanboy, I just wanted to point out the fact that they are in New England and are very popular. The only big Ti building company that I am a fan of is Moots.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM

Rob Vandermark once distracted my girlfriend with enough conversation and tasting of coffee at Ride Studio Cafe that I had to drag her outta the place -- the first time I've ever had to do that at a bike shop.

That alone wins my loyalty for the day I decide to get a Ti frame.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM

Firefly uses mono stay or as they are sometimes calls wishbone stay. No 22 and Seven do not do it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM

@FlashUNC I did the same thing! I had to drag friends that don't care about bikes from RSC many times. That shop is so much fun.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Weight

Yes- But a comparable full carbon bike would be 400-600 grams lighter than that.

I am not saying ti bikes are bad, in fact I love ti bikes. I am just saying that if weight is your concern, a ti bike is not in the same ballpark as a full carbon bike.

That said- I will probably get something like a Seven SLX or XX in the future. Maybe a hybrid if they will make me one without the hidden seat binder.
But weight will not be my main focus on that bike-

My carbon disc bike with fatter tires than your Seven is 15.5 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
perhaps, and yes, a lot of this bike is carbon (though classy tubed carbon). but at 15.9lbs with pedals, cages, a saddle bag flat kit, and my computer mounted, who needs lighter?
[IMG]lovely day by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 AM

form vs function

Agreed. Seven is killing it! I was just at NAHBS this weekend, and was reminded how so much of the industry is just chasing aesthetics right now - it is all paint, form, and instagrammable pictures. Seven is still totally focused on function (sometimes too much so), and that is refreshing. I don't know enough about the 2x2 to chime in on how good of an idea it is, but I love that they are thinking hard about solving problems (even ones we dont have) instead of thinking hard about how to get likes on instagram.

And as others have said, the ti and carbon markets are totally different audiences. Some people want lightweight plastic bikes that are made in China, others want durable metal bikes made in the USA. Both are fine answers. I have a very new Seven Evergreen SL, built for me late last year, and I can't wait to spend many miles with the bike!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Yes- But a comparable full carbon bike would be 400-600 grams lighter than that.

I am not saying ti bikes are bad, in fact I love ti bikes. I am just saying that if weight is your concern, a ti bike is not in the same ballpark as a full carbon bike.

That said- I will probably get something like a Seven SLX or XX in the future. Maybe a hybrid if they will make me one without the hidden seat binder.
But weight will not be my main focus on that bike-

My carbon disc bike with fatter tires than your Seven is 15.5 lb
of course there are lighter bikes, but is that an advantage? and did you weigh your 15.5 sans normal stuff that people actually ride with or does that include pedals, computer, seat bag (mini pump, spare tube, lever, multi tool) and cup holders??? And anyway, Im not sure it is an advantage past a certain point to be light. the lightness comes with its own issues, there is certainly a point where its no longer a gain. and this thing is also dead silent, which goes a long way for me. so i get your point, lightness for the sake of lightness means carbon, but thats not what Seven does, is it? They do Ti. and im glad, because i don't think i have stepped over an all cabron bike that feels like this. im not saying there aren't better carbon bikes, simply that one would have to really try hard to find that.

i am very happy with this Seven, its a damn fine bike, and gives me everything i had hoped for in the zanconato i let go, plus so much more. this bike is better than i thought it would be in every way. its even opened my eyes as to what carbon can feel like in the right hands. No chatter, no vibrations, no ugly, fat, in the way, weird shaped tubes, no weird road feel, just miles and smiles for days, the butter of my finest steel ride, and 2 lbs less.

love

Last edited by Mzilliox; 02-22-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM

@John H.

jpeg or it did not happen.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
of course there are lighter bikes, but is that an advantage? Im not sure it is an advantage. the lightness comes with its own issues. and this thing is also dead silent, which goes a long way for me. so i get your point, lightness for the sake of lightness means carbon, but thats not what Seven does, is it? They do Ti. and im glad, because i don't think i have stepped over an all cabron bike that feels like this. im not saying there aren't better carbon bikes, simply that one would have to really try hard to find that.

i am very happy with this Seven, its a damn fine bike, and gives me everything i had hoped for in the zanconato i let go, plus so much more. this bike is better than i thought it would be in every way. its even opened my eyes as to what carbon can feel like in the right hands. No chatter, no vibrations, no ugly, fat, in the way, weird shaped tubes, no weird road feel, just miles and smiles for days, the butter of my finest steel ride, and 2 lbs less.

love
They tried their hand at full carbon too. Just an interesting historical point.

https://www.sevencycles.com/news/bic...diamas-slx.php
Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 PM

I think it's cool. I mean this is how design evolution occurs, no?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Imshi Cycles

is there an explanation of that "2x2" somewhere im not seeing?

is there some use for a dropped stay besides reducing chainslap?
(a thing ive never once considered a problem worth solving, especially with a Ti frame...)

do you get some extra tire clearance or something?

im all for form following function...but there is usually a way of achieving both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
They tried their hand at full carbon too. Just an interesting historical point.

https://www.sevencycles.com/news/bic...diamas-slx.php
THAT. was a hot mess.
I am still impressed that they were able to get themselves into (and out of) that without going bankrupt.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM
v a n i l l a

while easy to say if you want to save weight just go carbon, the problem is that you can't easily get a CUSTOM carbon...

ti is clearly the better choice for gravel than steel. you can get it custom geo and custom options, and now just a shade light er (XX) .

so I dont really see this as a why spend XX just go to carbon discussion. its a ti and lighter ti discussion

FWIW when seven had the odonota and "one bike - yours" years ago they were darlings. then they faded. nice to see them back
Old 02-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
while easy to say if you want to save weight just go carbon, the problem is that you can't easily get a CUSTOM carbon...

ti is clearly the better choice for gravel than steel. you can get it custom geo and custom options, and now just a shade light er (XX) .

so I dont really see this as a why spend XX just go to carbon discussion. its a ti and lighter ti discussion

FWIW when seven had the odonota and "one bike - yours" years ago they were darlings. then they faded. nice to see them back
They never faded around here, everyone and their mom (among a certain crowd of course) is on a Seven. It's pretty awesome to see a group ride with more custom Ti bikes than Tarmacs.