Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM

Reply to me from PBK after I complained about the brokerage fees etc.:

Sent by: Pro Bike Kit (Canada), 22 February 2018, 9:22
Hello Ron,

Thank you for getting in touch about the delivery of the order.

We recently changed our delivery methods to Canada in an effort to streamline the customs and delivery process but where unaware of the costs of this method. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

After feedback regarding this we have since reverted the delivery method back to Canada Post who will be taking care of future parcels in case you would like to place another order on the site.

Kind regards,

Edmund

ProBikeKit Customer Service Team
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM

So it wasn't Canada Post that delivered to your door? Which carrier was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post

Hello Ron,

We recently changed our delivery methods to Canada in an effort to streamline the customs and delivery process but where unaware of the costs of this method. I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you.

After feedback regarding this we have since reverted the delivery method back to Canada Post who will be taking care of future parcels in case you would like to place another order on the site.

Kind regards,

Edmund

Old 02-22-2018, 01:37 PM

CanadaPost should still be the carrier for delivery (at least it was in my case).
Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
CanadaPost should still be the carrier for delivery (at least it was in my case).
Yes, carrier is still Canada Post.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Hello Ron,

Kind regards,

Edmund

Really cool that they've taken your feedback to heart on this.

In my experience of ordering from PBK, Ribble and Wiggle it's always been hit and miss when it comes to getting dinged at the door with customs fees. My last order from Ribble in December came to $188 with shipping, and the package showed up in my community mailbox, no extra customs fees required.

Who can truly know the inscrutable ways of Canada Post?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM

My sympathies to our Canadian neighbors - the customs people in your country are a lot more strict than here in the US. Why doesn't NAFTA apply to US-Canada shipments?

Just thought I would put in a good word for Wiggle and the free shipping they provided for a wheelset I recently purchased. Immediate shipping, with tracking - it didn't seem to be Royal Mail but some sort of courier service, so I was a bit worried. In the end, it was transferred to the USPS for delivery to me, no fees or customs, with a total time of something like 6 days. The tracking was interesting in that it even cited a British Airways flight from Gatwick to JFK!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Why doesn't NAFTA apply to US-Canada shipments?
Rules of origin. Doesn't matter where goods are being shipped from. Matters where they are made.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 AM

Pretty sure some of you (not all of you) are confusing 'import tax' vs 'duty' vs 'brokerage'.

There are no brokerage fees with Canada Post, only with the couriers (UPS, FEDEX, UPS etc). That said, Canada Post -does- have a fixed handling/inspection fee, which I think is 10-15 bucks.

For items arriving via Canada Post:

If Canada Customs decides to look at your pack, you will at very least be charged the handling/inspection fee, and import tax on the declared value of the goods. The import tax is basically your provincial sales tax.
If Canada Customs further decides that your item is subject to 'duty', you will be charged whatever the duty rate is for the type of item and country of origin. Duty rates vary quite a bit. I've rarely been charged duty on any cycling goods...

For items arriving via courier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL):

Pretty much the same as Canada Post, except:
1. brokerage fee which is likely higher than Canada Post's handling fee
2. Essentially guaranteed that your pack -will- be subject to all these charges, whereas with Canada Post, its hit or miss, I've had packs worth hundreds of dollars show up in my mailbox with no charges, not inspected, when arriving via Canada Post..
Old 02-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Rules of origin. Doesn't matter where goods are being shipped from. Matters where they are made.
So if a Canadian orders a Chris King headset and some White Industries hubs from a US vendor, the customs officials will be clued in enough to waive the duty?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
So if a Canadian orders a Chris King headset and some White Industries hubs from a US vendor, the customs officials will be clued in enough to waive the duty?
First, its not only country of origin, its also what the item is. Some items are not subject to duty no matter where they are from.

In 25 years of mailorder from various countries -into- Canada, the only items I've ever been charged duty on were one frameset, and some clothing.

Clothing, tobacco and alcohol are the big/common duty targets.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:54 PM

My East/West race was a tie - both boxes arrived today. My PBK order got here in 6 days (2 of which were weekend days). Everything is in the original OEM box and I'm psyched to try my $35 Fabric saddle.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
My East/West race was a tie - both boxes arrived today. My PBK order got here in 6 days (2 of which were weekend days). Everything is in the original OEM box and I'm psyched to try my $35 Fabric saddle.
best saddle ever, let me know what you think :O)
Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Pretty sure some of you (not all of you) are confusing 'import tax' vs 'duty' vs 'brokerage'.

There are no brokerage fees with Canada Post, only with the couriers (UPS, FEDEX, UPS etc). That said, Canada Post -does- have a fixed handling/inspection fee, which I think is 10-15 bucks.

For items arriving via Canada Post:

If Canada Customs decides to look at your pack, you will at very least be charged the handling/inspection fee, and import tax on the declared value of the goods. The import tax is basically your provincial sales tax.
If Canada Customs further decides that your item is subject to 'duty', you will be charged whatever the duty rate is for the type of item and country of origin. Duty rates vary quite a bit. I've rarely been charged duty on any cycling goods...

For items arriving via courier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL):

Pretty much the same as Canada Post, except:
1. brokerage fee which is likely higher than Canada Post's handling fee
2. Essentially guaranteed that your pack -will- be subject to all these charges, whereas with Canada Post, its hit or miss, I've had packs worth hundreds of dollars show up in my mailbox with no charges, not inspected, when arriving via Canada Post..
Thanks. This is correct. My issue with PBK was the brokerage fees, not duties/tax which, as noted, you pay even when delivery is with Canada Post.

By the way, in addition to going back to the old way of delivery (presumably Royal Mail?), PBK agreed to refund the brokerage fees to me. So good on them.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
PBK agreed to refund the brokerage fees to me. So good on them.
Same here after writing to customer service. If you were dinged by surprise brokerage because of EZClear, reach out to PBK.