Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I know this isn't the classifieds, but....

I'm pretty sure a fly rod would be ignored there ;-)

Seems like mostly FW folks here, but if anyone's interested in a mint (as in fished exactly once) St. Croix Legend Ultra 3 pc. 12 wt that's been sitting in my house since my shoulder surgery, I'd be happy to let it go for $150. + shipping.... Trust me- this *is* a deal.

Pix available on request
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 PM

My Biggest Oregon Steelfish yet

[IMG]brute by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]paddle tail by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 AM

WOW!!! Beautiful fish Matt Congratulations. GD i miss this so much. thanks for taking me back out west for a moment.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
WOW!!! Beautiful fish Matt Congratulations. GD i miss this so much. thanks for taking me back out west for a moment.
This big ass Buck was caught 40 steps out my back door, right in the back yard crick
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
This big ass Buck was caught 40 steps out my back door, right in the back yard crick
That’s awesome... “crick”. Haven’t heard that since I lived in California.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM

Beautiful fish, beautiful picture. Congrats on both.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 PM

I have fly fished for about 40 years, mostly stream fishing for trout and salmon and some fishing for bass, muskie, and assorted lake fish. My work took me to some spectacular fishing spots in Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Florida and elsewhere.

In my later fishing years, much to my surprise, I became passionate about salt water fly fishing and especially permitt and bonefish. Tarpon were ok for me, but I found stalking permitt was something that pulled me to Belize and Honduras time after time. Some of my fondest memories are standing waist deep in turquoise water on Bread and Butter Caye in Belize with a permitt fin swimming toward me and I could hardly breathe with the anticipation of a cast. And, then there were those trips to Alaska, usually in September, with a wind whipped rain in my face, throwing a Pink Pollywog to rising silver salmon who readily took the fly on the surface. And, then there was that one special day in Montana on a small stream in the middle of summer when I took a break from work and found a bend in the river and caught cutthroat trout until my arm could throw no more. Wonderful days and memories.

My right shoulder has finally exceeded the manufactures warranty and there is a second upcoming surgery to help, but it seems my days of casting for hours to trout, permitt, and salmon are in the past. Fly fishing has been an enriching experience that I regret is in the past.

I plan to divest of most of my fishing gear, starting with some reels, a spectacular Dave McNeese 7-8 weight reel, some Abel trout and Big Game reels, and some other trout reels, including an Ari Hart with some spare spools. I would like to see these pass on to folks who appreciate fine gear, like the folks here. If anyone is interested, PM me for details.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I have fly fished for about 40 years, mostly stream fishing for trout and salmon and some fishing for bass, muskie, and assorted lake fish. My work took me to some spectacular fishing spots in Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Florida and elsewhere.

In my later fishing years, much to my surprise, I became passionate about salt water fly fishing and especially permitt and bonefish. Tarpon were ok for me, but I found stalking permitt was something that pulled me to Belize and Honduras time after time. Some of my fondest memories are standing waist deep in turquoise water on Bread and Butter Caye in Belize with a permitt fin swimming toward me and I could hardly breathe with the anticipation of a cast. And, then there were those trips to Alaska, usually in September, with a wind whipped rain in my face, throwing a Pink Pollywog to rising silver salmon who readily took the fly on the surface. And, then there was that one special day in Montana on a small stream in the middle of summer when I took a break from work and found a bend in the river and caught cutthroat trout until my arm could throw no more. Wonderful days and memories.

My right shoulder has finally exceeded the manufactures warranty and there is a second upcoming surgery to help, but it seems my days of casting for hours to trout, permitt, and salmon are in the past. Fly fishing has been an enriching experience that I regret is in the past.

I plan to divest of most of my fishing gear, starting with some reels, a spectacular Dave McNeese 7-8 weight reel, some Abel trout and Big Game reels, and some other trout reels, including an Ari Hart with some spare spools. I would like to see these pass on to folks who appreciate fine gear, like the folks here. If anyone is interested, PM me for details.

Brother, Lets talk
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
My right shoulder has finally exceeded the manufactures warranty and there is a second upcoming surgery to help, but it seems my days of casting for hours to trout, permitt, and salmon are in the past. Fly fishing has been an enriching experience that I regret is in the past..
Have you considered learning to cast with the other arm? Not that difficult to do. Or two handed rods? Much easier on the shoulders and a blast in the salt.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
When my casting shoulder decided it didn't want me using anything bigger than a 9 wt (note the ad for the 12 wt above), I snagged a 2-hander for tossing bigger flies in the salt. There are loads of folks using spey or switch rods in fw as well.

No need to stop what you're doing, imo- just find another tool that lets you do it.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Hello, gentleman! I'm packing up for a yearly trip to MI to fish the Pere Marquette just east of Luddington, MI.

My father in law books a cabin for the himself and the boys (myself and brother in laws) for a week of flys, food, cigars and scotch. It's a great week and I'm hoping this year is much better than last. Last year we were washed out with all the rain and super high and fast water. It rained the whole week and was quite cold. This year the weather looks much better.

Anyone fished in the area have a report? What are you using? I'll be in waders as the cabin is on the river, no boat this year.

Anyway, packing up the Hampsten today for some riding in or around the Huron-Manistee national forest mixed with fly fishing and some great time with the fam.

tl dr: heading to the Pere Marquette for a week on the river with time on the bike mixed in!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 AM

Have Fun, Never fished that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
Hello, gentleman! I'm packing up for a yearly trip to MI to fish the Pere Marquette just east of Luddington, MI.

My father in law books a cabin for the himself and the boys (myself and brother in laws) for a week of flys, food, cigars and scotch. It's a great week and I'm hoping this year is much better than last. Last year we were washed out with all the rain and super high and fast water. It rained the whole week and was quite cold. This year the weather looks much better.

Anyone fished in the area have a report? What are you using? I'll be in waders as the cabin is on the river, no boat this year.

Anyway, packing up the Hampsten today for some riding in or around the Huron-Manistee national forest mixed with fly fishing and some great time with the fam.

tl dr: heading to the Pere Marquette for a week on the river with time on the bike mixed in!