Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2024, 10:32 AM

Wheel Upgrade Trek Domane?

My wife and I are purchasing two Trek Domane's after ten or more years on our current bikes. We're considering swapping the stock wheels for the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37V. I am not sure what the dealer would charge for this upgrade but I'm guessing somewhere in the $800ish range.

Which prompts the question what other carbon options should we consider. These would be primarily used as all road wheels, but more paved roads. We plan on running Rene Herse 38c ties.

Any thoughts? TIA
Old 09-23-2024, 10:36 AM

If you're going to be using them as a do it all wheelset, then that's a pretty good choice for wider tires and some gravel use.

I think in your situation, you want to run wheels for the roughest conditions you'll encounter so something more gravel oriented like those ones makes sense!
Old 09-23-2024, 10:50 AM

Last winter I upgraded my very old bike to a new Giant Defy Advance. I also looked at Domane. First of all, if your experience is like mine, you will really enjoy your new bike.

I rode my stock wheels for about 1000 miles. I then upgraded to a barely used set of carbon Bontrager Aeolus Pro. Is it an upgrade? Yes, but not nearly as big of a difference as it made on my mountain bike. It came with better tires and I think that was the big upgrade.

So unless they give you a sweet deal at the shop on the upgrade, just ride the stock wheels for a season. Upgrade the tires and run tubeless. If you still have the itch, get new wheels next season and you can keep the stock wheels to run gravel tires or something. Then you will feel and appreciate the upgrade.

In terms of what other wheels, I looked around and almost got some chinese carbon but found a good deal. I suggest getting the carbon upgrade with the new bike so it's all fresh and installed correctly and under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj22 View Post
My wife and I are purchasing two Trek Domane's after ten or more years on our current bikes. We're considering swapping the stock wheels for the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37V. I am not sure what the dealer would charge for this upgrade but I'm guessing somewhere in the $800ish range.

Which prompts the question what other carbon options should we consider. These would be primarily used as all road wheels, but more paved roads. We plan on running Rene Herse 38c ties.

Any thoughts? TIA
Old 09-23-2024, 11:03 AM

Actually, to update my earlier post...

If you're going to be using the bike as a do it all bike, I'd actually recommend using the stock wheels for gravel and getting a new set of wheels to ride on the road.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Actually, to update my earlier post...

If you're going to be using the bike as a do it all bike, I'd actually recommend using the stock wheels for gravel and getting a new set of wheels to ride on the road.
If we encounter gralvel, it is usually part of a route that involves both paved and gravel.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:51 AM

I don't know what the stock wheels are, but in my experience with my all road bikes I am really liking how the carbon rim wheels (on which I run mostly 38 but occasionally 42 tires) stay true compared to my long experience with alloy rims. And I run that size tire tubeless, as others suggest.

Depending on the hubs those wheels are built with, it's likely you could get a new set of wheels from BTLOS or similar for $900 with DT350 hubs (or under $800 with Bitex). I have three sets of wheels from BTLOS and they've been great.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:54 AM

It’s only a good deal if you walk with both sets of wheels and can put two different sets of tires on.

If they’re keeping the stock wheels it’s not a good deal as $800 is very close to MSRP, and there are lots of non Trek options in that $800-1200 range that involve you keeping the stock wheels.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:57 AM

I have 2 Domanes - AL5 and SLR6. The latter has Di2. I,too, considered the same wheel upgrade as you. But first I installed GP5000 tubeless tires on the stock Paradigm wheels. That works great, at least for me, and I decided not to get the new wheels.

So, if you decide to ride stock wheels for a while, a good tubeless tire just might work for one or both of you.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 09-23-2024, 12:05 PM

The Aeolus wheels are fantastic—I'm still riding my Pro 3V long after my Domane is out of commission. You might want to check out a few classifieds on the forum right now; there are some interesting options available.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I don't know what the stock wheels are, but in my experience with my all road bikes I am really liking how the carbon rim wheels (on which I run mostly 38 but occasionally 42 tires) stay true compared to my long experience with alloy rims. And I run that size tire tubeless, as others suggest.

Depending on the hubs those wheels are built with, it's likely you could get a new set of wheels from BTLOS or similar for $900 with DT350 hubs (or under $800 with Bitex). I have three sets of wheels from BTLOS and they've been great.
I'm going to be a plus one on carbon wheels and BTLOS. I've been running a carbon for over 20 years and they're just lighter and stronger. BTLOS has a nice webpage that provides the user to click through all the options. I would recommend the 'Extralight' version!
Old 09-23-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj22 View Post
If we encounter gralvel, it is usually part of a route that involves both paved and gravel.
So it sounds like you're going to be doing some road only stuff as well, yes?
Old 09-23-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
So it sounds like you're going to be doing some road only stuff as well, yes?
Yes we will likely do 80% road with maybe 20% gravel as add on to our paved road rides. We haven't been gravel riders, and we are older riders 75/74YO, although we are pretty solid road riders. Which is why we opted not to get dedicated gravel bikes.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If they’re keeping the stock wheels it’s not a good deal as $800 is very close to MSRP
The Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37V is a ~$1600 wheel set...

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...wheel/p/44492/

If the dealer is able to do $800/set for new wheels, that seems like a good option. Most of the equivalent options are going to be at least that amount. Even BTLOS or Light are going to be in the that ballpark.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:46 PM

My error on the price which was a guesstimate. It turns out that the Trek site quotes prices for individual wheels, not for a wheel set. I’ll check with them but I am guessing, the better route is to ride the stock wheels and replace with another option in the year ahead…my apologies.
Old 09-23-2024, 02:13 PM

I still think the best course is to run two sets of wheels.

-Set one: For road only duty with road tires
-Set two: More gravel oriented tires for rides when you'll be doing more gravel.

You can get away with one set of wheels just fine if you're open to the compromise. If gravel to you means just dirt roads and and unpaved stuff and nothing that's really gnarly, then running one set of tires that are 32-35mm for everything will be just fine.