Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2024, 07:39 AM

TPU punctures

I've had a few punctures with TPU tubes, about the same frequency as butyl, but find them much more difficult to patch. The other day I got a nail in the tire and the tube always seems to have the hole right at the folded edge of the tube and with a ragged hole. I know TPU has little stretch and holds it's shape but, at this point, they seem great except for patching.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPU.jpg (146.5 KB, 707 views)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:53 AM

My issue, although infrequent, hasn't been punctures but unexplained sudden slow leaks-tpu seems to hold air much better than latex and as good as butyl, but some develop overnight pressure loss (significant) out of nowhere after a few months of use. Not worth trying to track down to patch, I just replace.
Old 07-13-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
My issue, although infrequent, hasn't been punctures but unexplained sudden slow leaks-tpu seems to hold air much better than latex and as good as butyl, but some develop overnight pressure loss (significant) out of nowhere after a few months of use. Not worth trying to track down to patch, I just replace.
Most of the mystery leaks seem to be on tubes with plastic valves. The Cyclami tubes I've been using have metal valves hold air just fine...except for nails!

Tim
Old 07-14-2024, 06:21 AM
Riding Along

Lordgun sells patch kits for TPU tubes made by rema tiptop. They are made in Germany and they work very well for permanent repairs. They come with the proper glue (Camplast).
Old 07-14-2024, 09:03 AM

VittoriaTPU Tubes

I had been riding two Vittoria flu tubes on my road bike for over a year without issues, no flats, no leaks, had really been enjoying them. Last weekend after a ride a put by bike in my car, it was about 80 degrees outside, got hot in the car. When I got home both tires were flat. Pumped them up, will not hold air. Contacted Vittoria and they said yes, do not store in a hot car. They would not make a warranty replacement. So, just an fyi, don’t store wheels wilted tpu tubes in a hot place, they will fail.
Old 07-14-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Lordgun sells patch kits for TPU tubes made by rema tiptop. They are made in Germany and they work very well for permanent repairs. They come with the proper glue (Camplast).
It’s not a question of patch kits. My issue is how TPU tubes seem to crease and wrinkle around the puncture. That makes any patch difficult to properly adhere.

Tim
Old 07-14-2024, 01:45 PM

My experience with TPU tubes hasn't been very positive so far. Not long ago I installed a pair of Vittoria Ultra Light Speed 700x25-30c TPU tubes into Continental GP5000 700x25c tires mounted on 21mm interior width rims (inflated width 27mm). This was my first experience using TPU tubes.

On the the third ride, the front tube flatted. Removing the tube found a hole next to where the valve attaches to the tube. On the fourth ride, the the rear tube flatted, with another hole next to the valve attachment. Before installing the tube, I did notice a little bit of puckering in the tube where the valve portion was "welded" into the tube, and the holes developed at the puckering. After flatting, the material around the other pucker points appeared to be stretched out.

I guess these holes can be chalked up to poor quality control, but it isn't a good sign for the robustness of thin TPU tubes.
Old 07-14-2024, 07:30 PM

To pile on I had a FOSS tpu tube fail on my trainer bike on the front wheel. I don’t how it happened. I used the supplied rim tape and everything. When I removed the tube it looked like it creeped into one of the spoke hole and then blammo. When I inspected the rim and tape everything seemed in place with no signs of the tape migrating. Puzzled
Old 07-14-2024, 07:39 PM

TPU tubes are prone to pinch flats / snakebites if you don't run enough pressure.

I am a bit lazy with tyre pressure. Typically I'd pump up a butyl tube to 80psi and leave it for 3-4-5-6 days before pumping back up. Over that time it might drop to 50psi. At 62-63kg I'm pretty light so somewhere between 50 and 80 is likely to be the optimal tyre pressure haha!

The same behaviour with TPU tubes found me pinch flatting on relatively minor potholes.

One of the odd behaviours I found was that you could hit a pothole and then sometimes as much as 10 minutes could pass before the tube would fail.

Happened regularly enough for me to realise the issue and was fixed easily enough by just making sure I had 70+ psi in the tube.

All that said I've had a pretty good experience with Tubolito, Revoloop, Michelin and now most recently using the cheaper RideNow ones without any real issues.

Last edited by jimoots; 07-14-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:01 PM

the easiest solution.....toss it and use a new one.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:08 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
It’s not a question of patch kits. My issue is how TPU tubes seem to crease and wrinkle around the puncture. That makes any patch difficult to properly adhere.

Tim
When you patch and put pressure on the patch with a clamp etc. They flatten out perfectly. I just patched two large holes in a TPU tube that my son created when he ran up a curb with his hard tail mtb. Permanent patching works very well. The stick on patches work well in the short to medium term.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:21 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
the easiest solution.....toss it and use a butyl or latex tube.
fixed it for you..
Old 07-15-2024, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
When you patch and put pressure on the patch with a clamp etc. They flatten out perfectly. I just patched two large holes in a TPU tube that my son created when he ran up a curb with his hard tail mtb. Permanent patching works very well. The stick on patches work well in the short to medium term.
on a mtb? why not tubeless?
Old 07-15-2024, 06:14 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
the easiest solution.....toss it and use a new one.
This is my solution. Life is to short to mess with fixing tubes
Old 07-15-2024, 06:43 AM

I use them and another I don’t patch I just replace with new tube here. Very good life, hold air much better than latex and ride nice. I can afford to just pitch it and spend my time riding instead of maintenance. I do what is necessary and move on.

Last edited by JMT3; 09-06-2024 at 07:29 PM.