Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2022, 04:11 PM

very interesting deep dive into a topic I was not aware of the ins and outs of. I live in a major city and I see how much resources are used by Amazon, UPS, USPS, DHL and a host of others driving around in circles dropping off and picking up all manor of tiny packages. This in one of the major factors pushing me towards buying directly from shops. In the CT article Josh recommends actually going to a LBS and looking at the thing you want to buy. I heartily endorse that type of shopping. You can support a LBS, cut down on the environmental impact of rampant shipping, and now I know how much it can help support small to medium size business that make niche products. Of course not every one lives near a shop that has every product you may want/need but for me its worth the time.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian3141 View Post
very interesting deep dive into a topic I was not aware of the ins and outs of. I live in a major city and I see how much resources are used by Amazon, UPS, USPS, DHL and a host of others driving around in circles dropping off and picking up all manor of tiny packages. This in one of the major factors pushing me towards buying directly from shops. In the CT article Josh recommends actually going to a LBS and looking at the thing you want to buy. I heartily endorse that type of shopping. You can support a LBS, cut down on the environmental impact of rampant shipping, and now I know how much it can help support small to medium size business that make niche products. Of course not every one lives near a shop that has every product you may want/need but for me its worth the time.
I mean, the truck has to go from the distribution center to the retail store and then you have to get to the retail store and back.. so it's possible that having a well thought out delivery route is actually less resource intensive. I'm sure it's been studied - and I'm also sure there's a lot of complexity and assumptions to sort through in any of those studies. On the other hand, buying local might mean buying less and maybe that overcomes the increased delivery efficiencies - sort of like paying cash instead of paying credit - transactional friction can be a good thing for your pocket-book. Or not. Lots to consider.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I mean, the truck has to go from the distribution center to the retail store and then you have to get to the retail store and back.. so it's possible that having a well thought out delivery route is actually less resource intensive
Yep. That "last mile" (likely more than a mile for most), by doing it yourself means you probably drove to the store to pickup one item, while the Amazon van made 300 stops along the same distance. But details.

Last edited by rice rocket; 07-26-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:12 PM
Administrator

buying quality stuff that lasts and keeping it to reduce the churn is the best solution when possible.

our family is by no means perfect in this regard, but that's what we're aiming for. so much of the cheap crap on Amazon that is designed to appeal to lots of people due to low price tag, but garbage quality is the enemy. Trying to retrain all of our thinking to think more longterm for purchases.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
buying quality stuff that lasts and keeping it to reduce the churn is the best solution when possible.

our family is by no means perfect in this regard, but that's what we're aiming for. so much of the cheap crap on Amazon that is designed to appeal to lots of people due to low price tag, but garbage quality is the enemy. Trying to retrain all of our thinking to think more longterm for purchases.

You might be surprised - but that's my approach with literally everything other than bikes.. The tasting menu is just too tempting.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:10 PM

100% agree

Voting with my dollars is really the most powerful tool I have.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:11 PM
Forward the Foundation

Amazon is very clear, if you want trademark control, or counterfeit control, or pricing control,
you have to be a seller in good standing who has all intellectual property registered and such.
Otherwise, they won’t even engage with you.

JP via Cycling Tips.

In the old neighborhood we called that a protection racket.

"Nice Brand you have there kid, be shame if anything happened to it"
Old 07-26-2022, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:

You might be surprised - but that's my approach with literally everything other than bikes.. The tasting menu is just too tempting.
Yea, we all have our weaknesses

It's a little hard with young kids too - it seems my oldest son is shooting up like a weed these days. pants that fit him yesterday look like knickers at best the next day, lol. We've got a good group of friends and family that keep the hand-me-downs going, but there's still a lot of temporary stuff that is needed.

to bring it back on to topic, i assume my silca gear will last forever, those ano cages are just too sweet

Old 07-26-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I mean, the truck has to go from the distribution center to the retail store and then you have to get to the retail store and back.. so it's possible that having a well thought out delivery route is actually less resource intensive. I'm sure it's been studied - and I'm also sure there's a lot of complexity and assumptions to sort through in any of those studies. On the other hand, buying local might mean buying less and maybe that overcomes the increased delivery efficiencies - sort of like paying cash instead of paying credit - transactional friction can be a good thing for your pocket-book. Or not. Lots to consider.
I'll bet there is a whole field of logistics management that has the answers. But in my mind if I go to the store for a chain or a pump the store get shipped 50 at a time where as I need them one by one. Also I am lucky enough to live within walking distance of four good bike shops. Environmental impact aside I also have gotten sick of ordering stuff online and finding out the size is wrong or the shoe fits weird. I also enjoy the 1:1 conversations with the LBS employees.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:46 PM

What breaks my heart the most is how these fraudulent people are impacting Martha...
Old 07-27-2022, 07:44 AM

No cash returns, and fairly picky with their store credit returns, make it look good.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:50 AM

Apologies if this was posted before https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/inte...theft-returns/
Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Apologies if this was posted before https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/inte...theft-returns/
It was posted, and that's what started the new round of discussion.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian3141 View Post
In the CT article Josh recommends actually going to a LBS and looking at the thing you want to buy. I heartily endorse that type of shopping. You can support a LBS (and) cut down on the environmental impact of rampant shipping //snip//
I don't discount your point when and where you live close to a good shop. Those are worth your support.

On the other side, I've lived in some quite rural areas in the past and I would have needed to drive forty-five minutes or an hour to specialized shops. UPS came through town daily, so the tiny extra cost of their truck driving a few blocks was far less than me driving two hours round-trip. We did a fair bit of shopping with Amazon at the time (ten years ago, before counterfeits and return abuse was as much of an issue) and I think that was a net ecological benefit.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I don't discount your point when and where you live close to a good shop. Those are worth your support.

On the other side, I've lived in some quite rural areas in the past and I would have needed to drive forty-five minutes or an hour to specialized shops. UPS came through town daily, so the tiny extra cost of their truck driving a few blocks was far less than me driving two hours round-trip. We did a fair bit of shopping with Amazon at the time (ten years ago, before counterfeits and return abuse was as much of an issue) and I think that was a net ecological benefit.
For sure I grew up quite rural and now live very urban. Not every one has easy access to a LBS and even if you do they may not carry the brand you're looking for. So individuals need to take into account their circumstances. I am also deeply lazy and have defiantly kept kit that doesn't fit right because I don't feel like dealing with sending it back. So now I like to try on every thing before I buy it if I can.