Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2024, 06:15 PM

Short Nose Saddle Setback

I've been using short nose saddles for a while, mostly the Pro Stealth and the Pro Stealth Offroad. I measure setback in two places, the tip and mid point (lengthwise). As compared to the longer more traditional saddles I used before (275mm vs 240-250mm) I find that the tip measurement is well behind what I used before.

Has anyone else who uses short nose saddles found this to be the case?
Old 09-30-2024, 06:20 PM

Yep different...

I measure from the back and the middle as it's a different fit on the seat post compared to traditional saddles. The short fit saddles fit more forward so measuring from the nose skewer's the fit.
Old 09-30-2024, 06:27 PM

I have recently switched to short nose saddles after using pretty flat normal saddles for a long time. I've found that you have to pretty much keep the rear of the saddle in the same place as your previous one, not the front.

They tend to fit a little differently because they have that sort of flip in the back for you to push against when you're down low in the drops, so some experimentation is required. I found my saddle height dropped by 5mm and went rear ward about the same. Super comfortable, great results so far.
Old 09-30-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I have recently switched to short nose saddles after using pretty flat normal saddles for a long time. I've found that you have to pretty much keep the rear of the saddle in the same place as your previous one, not the front.

They tend to fit a little differently because they have that sort of flip in the back for you to push against when you're down low in the drops, so some experimentation is required. I found my saddle height dropped by 5mm and went rear ward about the same. Super comfortable, great results so far.
I switched from the Fizik Kurve (Arione) to the Fizik Ares. I measured from the middle of the saddle where I usually sit. I then rode my bike on the trainer and slightly tweaked the position until it felt good. I like the short-nosed saddle. I never did move much on the saddle though.
Old 09-30-2024, 07:04 PM

It seems simple; always measure to where you sit? My short nose saddles are basically the same as my long nose saddles, minus the front ~1" lopped off. I like my shortnosed saddle, but basically I'm not convinced it isn't just fashion. It's not like I sat on the front 1" or so of my previously long-nosed saddles.

Last edited by RoosterCogset; 09-30-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2024, 07:05 PM

Of course its shorter. What matters is where the sitbones are. A short nose saddle is exactly that, a saddle with the nose cut off. Where you actually sit is probably more or less in the same spot, and yeah, that's harder to measure reliably than the tip, but the tip is really meaningless.
Old 09-30-2024, 08:32 PM

Some say that saddle measurements (height, setback) should be made from the ergometric center of the saddle, i.e. from where the rider actually sits on the saddle. Some say the ergometric center is where the saddle is 7cm wide (for example, Prologo), and some say it is where the saddle is 8cm wide. Here is a tool to find the location where the saddle is 8cm wide:

https://secretsaddle.com/product/gebiomized-80mm-tool/
Old 09-30-2024, 08:41 PM

I laid my new short saddle on top of the old one lining up the wide part where I sit, measured the difference in length from the nose of each saddle and adjusted accordingly.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. It seems what I found wasn't an anomaly.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:23 AM

I have a prev version of the rydenbikes fit tool which locates the position from which to measure saddle height using a device similar to the one referenced above (but 70mm vs 80mm wide). That accommodates similar saddle heights regardless of the saddle design.

Last edited by teleguy57; 10-01-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I have a prev version of the rydenbikes fit tool which locates the position from which to measure saddle height using a device similar to the one referenced above (but 70mm vs 80mm wide). That accommodates similar saddle heights regardless of the saddle design.
I've been searching for this for ages!

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Some say that saddle measurements (height, setback) should be made from the ergometric center of the saddle, i.e. from where the rider actually sits on the saddle. Some say the ergometric center is where the saddle is 7cm wide (for example, Prologo), and some say it is where the saddle is 8cm wide. Here is a tool to find the location where the saddle is 8cm wide:

https://secretsaddle.com/product/gebiomized-80mm-tool/
This makes way too much sense.
Old 10-04-2024, 01:48 PM

The tool is a good idea, you could accomplish same thing with a set of inexpensive calipers set to 80mm.
Old 10-04-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
The tool is a good idea, you could accomplish same thing with a set of inexpensive calipers set to 80mm.
or a ruler?
Old 10-04-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
or a ruler?
Yes, you can. Ease of use with a tool, particularly the Rydenbikes model (I bought the least expensive one) makes doing the measurements quicker and with less variability -- at least for me. Each of us has a limit to the amount of futzing and putzing we're willing to put up with, or at least what we'll be willing to pay to avoid.