Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Tips for new carbon fork?

I finally received the replacement new fork for my CAAD10. I need to:
- get the crown race off the old fork
- and install it on the new fork
- install the expander gizmo that goes into the steerer that the stem cap bolt threads into (easy to understand conceptually, but how tight, any tricks, etc. - it came out of the old steerer with a 1/2 turn of the expander bolt)
- cut the steerer to length

Looking for tips and techniques! There's a bit in Zinn, but not as much as I'd like. Same with Youtube.
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:29 PM

a lot o stuff can wrong here

I would suggest it be a no brainer for your LBS...and not too much dough.

helps to own a crown race remover, a crown race putter on-ner, and a steerer cutting guide.

pick a good shop. i once marked my steerer with masking tape to ensure the shop would cut it correctly. unfortunately they cut it on the wrong side of the tape mark. cost them 350 to buy me new fork.

Last edited by eddief; 12-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Please don't take this as an insult; it is absolutely not meant as such.

If you do not have the proper tools and some experience, this is a job that is actually fairly easy to royally screw up, and that screw-up can cost you $$$ and head-/heart-ache...whereas your LBS can do it accurately, affordably, and quickly.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM

word

you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Please don't take this as an insult.
If you do not have the proper tools and some experience, this is a job that is fairly easy to royally screw up, and that screw-up can cost $$$...whereas your LBS can do it accurately, affordably, and quickly.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
you said.
Yep! If you have to ask those kind of questions about what to do, an LBS is the answer.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Hell, even if you know what you are doing, unless you have all the correct tools it's just so much easier and faster for a bike shop to handle it. It will take them 10 minutes tops, they may not even charge for the service, and you will know that the installation is done right.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 PM
aka RAEKWON

those are not hard jobs and you could learn them from using the internet, however the tools for that are not cheap and you will likely not use them a lot so I also recommend going to the lbs on this.

I hate cutting carbon steerers. I have all the tools and have cut a few but much rather take it to the shop, have em do it. Steel steerers, those are fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM

No offense taken. I tend to be a DIYer unless it's obvious I'll likely screw it up.

Facing BBs, head tubes, disc mounts - those are shop tools for sure. But I've done these fork tasks for years, just not with a plastic fork. And I haven't been impressed with the LBSs' here - I had a great mechanic friend at one when I lived in NH, but not here. I do have a couple of folks on the Island I will ask to see if they have the tools. I have the race off, so at this point I need to learn what is different about setting the race on the carbon steerer vs. aluminum or steel, such as, is a lubricant recommended and if so, what type?

I know, fools rush in...
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
No offense taken. I tend to be a DIYer unless it's obvious I'll likely screw it up.

I know, fools rush in...
Well, I'm with R3awak3n et al, so I'm not going to advise how to...because I just don't do it. It may look easy...which means it's also easy to make a critical mistake.

I love working on my bicycles, but I always bring this kind of work to my lbs. It is so easy to screw up the c-f steerer cut so that it looks perfectly square, 90°, etc, but it actually isn't, which only causes more problems. I just prefer to let them do it correctly every time.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 PM

cutting carbon steerer brought to you by Enve

I used this method today to trim a carbon post. I'd prefer to use a steerer tube cutting guide tool, but this worked ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflE5p3OPgM
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I used this method today to trim a carbon post. I'd prefer to use a steerer tube cutting guide tool, but this worked ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflE5p3OPgM
The method in the video is fine, but won't work with a tapered steerer.

I use the stem with a cheap spacer on top of it tightened on the steerer below the cut. The loose spacer rotates easily as a cutting guide.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM

When cutting the steerer (I strongly recommend a proper guide...Park makes a decent one), remember this rule: Measure twice, cut once. -Jeff N.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Echoing the "be careful" advice. I've had buddies that are competent bike mechanics try and do fork installs without the right tools, and have mucked it up. Note that I said "buddies" - I've had more than one friend do it.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM

I'm in the diy camp.
However, as others have pointed out, measure twice, cut once. Do you want steerer above the stem for a spacer, etc?

A guide is nice. Park makes a good one. The stem suggestion is good, two even better, one above, one below, spacer in the middle (I know, who has a bunch of stems lying around?). I'm a cowboy, the last couple I've cut have been clamped in a metal bandsaw, which makes short work and cuts straight.

I've yet, in almost 30 years, to destroy a crown race or fork taking one off without shop tools. Easier with (part time shop gig) but its doable. Getting it on is best done with a bit of pvc pipe but there are other ways. Just don't force anything.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I finally received the replacement new fork for my CAAD10. I need to:
- get the crown race off the old fork
- and install it on the new fork
- install the expander gizmo that goes into the steerer that the stem cap bolt threads into (easy to understand conceptually, but how tight, any tricks, etc. - it came out of the old steerer with a 1/2 turn of the expander bolt)
- cut the steerer to length

Looking for tips and techniques! There's a bit in Zinn, but not as much as I'd like. Same with Youtube.
Thanks!
Measure, then measure again.....and then measure again. Ya can always make it shorter, can't make it longer, "I've cut it three times and it's STILL too short'. Use a guide and a 32teeth saw blade.

-Use a proper tool to take off old fork crown race..please, no hammers and screw drivers.
-Use a proper tool to install onto new fork..please, no hammers and a bit of grease on fork crown race seat...
-dry inside for the expander, 'tight' but not gorilla tight...

So..yes you can DIY...but FCR remover, installer, cutting guide...all proper specialty tools, that a decent LBS should have. It would be a shame to kill/damage that brand new fork...