Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Another tell. Is the cable guides have allen screws in them. OE has them molded into the tubes. Easy tells.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Are they really trying to fool anyone besides the riders that the buyer rides with? I would assume that people buying most of these fakes know they are imitations, else the seller would be flooded with returns and/or payment venue problems.

Are these lug-style frames really lugged at all, or are the lug features simply being molded into a monocoque frame? I suspect the latter.

The color schemes shown mostly appear odd, not even offered by Colnago(?)

I'm thinking that I want one, to go alongside my more endurance-oriented, (and genuine) $1k CX-Zero. I'll first have to consider the risks and ethical considerations of it all, also try to find out how long that the seller has been supplying such frames and how well that they are established as durable and defect-free.
I just read a review of real versus fake frames. I think the frame in question was a Specialized. There were some pretty significant differences in material used, tube thickness, basic design and objective performance (flex measurements, etc.)

These jokers won't do any durability testing. They don't care.

A fake will ride poorly relative to the real deal, and it may fail catastrophically, probably at an inopportune moment.

Worth the risk?

Now I'm thinking I should validate the serial numbers on my C50 and my Prestige CX, both bought used. With many miles on other Colnagos, and many on the C50, my butt tells me that the C50 is probably genuine. I still haven't built the Prestige CX.

Buying used is no guarantee that they're genuine!