Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Pics uploaded
Old 12-10-2017, 10:19 AM

Other insight?? High probability it’s going to powder next week without dimples..
Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 AM
ZhugeLiang

In a perfect world, I wish my Merlin has chainstays that started off like these...and set up for canti or disc.

Last edited by weisan; 12-12-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Just did this last night to better fit studded tires in an early 80s Trek 520-- I opted for the vice grip method and it worked just fine. Of course, these were cro-mo stays on a cheap winter beater. I hack-sawed a piece of conduit lengthwise (~4"), slightly flattened each half to match the stay, and stacked them to make a backer. I taped the backers to the outside of the stay to hold them in place while I lined everything else up. I looked around my shop and grabbed a chain (not a bike chain, the stump pulling kind-- ~1/4" diameter steel, ~1.5-2" long link). I liked the way the "0" shape would round out the edges of the dimple. I slipped a link over my vice grip, lined it up with my mark, and squeezed the stay between the backer and chain link. Done.

I only needed a few mm, so I didn't take many precautions, but if I wanted to do a more severe dimple, I would put more work into the backer to prevent the stays from ovalizing. I'd go for strong support wrapped around the top and bottom of the stay to prevent it from growing vertically.

No way am I going to recommend you doing the same to air hardened steel. It might work, but might not.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:39 PM

thanks for all input... i think i'll just get it powdered and leave it as is. it'll fit a true 36 so i can live with that. theres plenty of tire/rim combos that will allow a good ride and adequate clearance. If it wasn't so iffy with the 853 steel i'd surely do it but... i really dont want to trash the frame on a hey hold my beer watch this move. Thanks for the input. Now what color.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:33 AM

I owned a used, early Terraplane that wasn't dimpled properly. Wouldn't accept a Campy crankset without the inside ring touching the chainstay. It accepted Ultegra but just barely. I ended up selling it.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 12-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Tired Member

I did it with a true temper Poprad, no issues other than making the stays symmetrical.

I made a wedge out of steel bar stock from McMaster and a cradle for the outside of the stay out of leftover red oak flooring. I squeezed the stay with a c-clamp.