Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 02:58 PM

Ot: Anyone purchase an xbox series X?

So this was my son's one request for Christmas.

There was a rush to buy them and bots bought them all up whenever they were released by the big retailers that sell them (Bestbuy, Gamestop, Walmart ,Target, etc)

The console is suppose to by like $500.00 and I tried all winter to secure one, but the only one's available were jacked up to anywhere from $900-1200. Now it looks like they are actually available form the big stores, but at the inflated prices only.

Here we are 9 months past Christmas and you still can't buy them unless you pay the markup.

Thought I would be able to buy one by now with his birthday coming up in September, but now I'm not sure.

So, do I just pay the premium? It doesn't look like the chip shortage is coming to an end any time soon.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:03 PM

I want to get a PS5 for myself and I am not sure if I can get one this year at MSRP.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:05 PM

Just suck it up and buy a bundle. Its the only way these days to even have a shot at one of the new consoles. Sony's estimating their chip and manufacturing issue won't be resolved till H2 2022. So get what you can get wherever it shows up.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:07 PM

When you say an inflated price, are you referring to Walmart selling them for $876.98?

If so, no! That's not Walmart as I'm sure you realise - it's just a third party seller on Walmart. It is not worth that much.

Try to talk him into realizing that a Series S is totally fine and order one from Best Buy?
Old 07-29-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Just suck it up and buy a bundle. Its the only way these days to even have a shot at one of the new consoles. Sony's estimating their chip and manufacturing issue won't be resolved till H2 2022. So get what you can get wherever it shows up.
Well, I am not too desperate. I still have a PS4 and a decent gaming PC. So that should help. But even with the PC and there is no chance to upgrade the GPU, if you think the console price and supply is outrageous, take a look of the mid-high end GPUs.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Well, I am not too desperate. I still have a PS4 and a decent gaming PC. So that should help. But even with the PC and there is no chance to upgrade the GPU, if you think the console price and supply is outrageous, take a look of the mid-high end GPUs.
My boys hardly touch the Xboxes these days....they both built gaming computers and play on those....younger son even hooks up the Xbox controller to his....

Pretty easy to configure compatible parts using: https://pcpartpicker.com/
Old 07-29-2021, 09:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Yeah consoles is nothing compared to getting a rtx 3070/3080 or 3090.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM

I lucked into a PS5 from BestBuy by following some of the various Twitter feeds that announce when the systems go in-stock.

The key is to get a system into your cart, even if it sells out, so that when it comes back into stock at a later date, you can immediately check out.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM

I would not buy one.. wait.

My brother has one, cost a lot of money and was hard to get.

It has a fatal bug that Microsoft can't figure out. It loses its connection to the internet and has to be powered off and left to sit for a period of time before it will work again.

I have a feeling it's going to turn out to be a hardware problem and Microsoft is going to have to recall them. It's XBox 360 all over again.

It could be a software problem... but if it is it's going to be very hard to fix if the devices can't reliably connect to the internet to download a patch.

This has been ongoing for a while. Microsoft is still kind of a in a mode of "blame the customers network or other equipment and send silly hoops to jump through". They're not totally evil, I think they are just trying to buy time to figure the fix out and sometimes having tech support give the customers stuff to try that's semi-pointless because it makes the customer feel loved.

Note I'm in the computer industry and have plenty of personal experience in that "have the tech support guys suggest things to the customer to buy time to debug the problem" scenario, it's 100% a thing.

I think this bug hasn't been major news because there's so much other stuff going on and the gaming community is still too caught up in "I can't get one, how do I get one!" to the point they haven't fixated yet on the issue.

Also there is only one game you can play on an XBox One X that you can't play on the older XBox One models... the new version of Microsoft Flight Simulator is the first exclusive XB1X game. It looks cool, but unless your kids are dying to pretend they're pilots you can hold off and just use an older XBox One.

Last edited by benb; 07-30-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Shifty Member

Actually there's a similar scramble for many computer components especially video cards. There are some twitter threads that you can subscribe to that put out alerts every time Target/ Walmart/ etc. gets a shipment for your area as well.

Also Newegg has a shuffle every day for these items. For instance today's is for the PS5 and some high end video cards.

Last edited by eippo1; 07-30-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 AM

Well, once again it turns out that paceline and paceliners are awesome.

Someone pm’d me that they had bought one and we’re not using it, so I scored a slightly used ( like one time) one that should be perfect!

Gonna be a happy boy for his birthday!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

Someone pm’d me that they had bought one and we’re not using it, so I scored a slightly used ( like one time) one that should be perfect!

Great, great news. Top dad points for you!
Old 07-30-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

Any paceliners have a PS5 (disc) version that they aren't using much??!