Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 02:51 PM

Long Haul Trucker, or ???

I have a friend locally who is looking for a bike. She and her husband both have pretty nice FS 29er MTBs, and he has a Domane too. They’re not bike nuts like us but they are both fit.

She wants a road bike. It sounds as though she wants something to ride for errands, or if they decide to ride for coffee, etc. She seems pretty clear she isn't looking for a pure road bike like his. They did their own research and landed on the LHT Disc.

She is about 5’10” or maybe a bit more. I put her on a couple of my bikes and the one she felt good on is the Bob Jackson, by far the longest/tallest of my bikes, with a TT of 573mm. That puts her on a 56 LHT (the one with 700c wheels, Surly picks a weird size to change from 26” to 700c).

So -
- is the LHT a good pick for her?
- are there better alternatives in the same price range?
- anyone with a used bike with similar features looking to sell?

I own a Big Dummy and love it for its intended function, but Surlys in general always seem to weigh a ton. But perhaps it’s a good selection for this rider?
Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 PM

The LHT is a very, very stout bike that really is intended for fully laden touring. It becomes a more 'normal' feeling bike under heavy load, but unladen, or lightly loaded... well... its not that great.

A Midnight Special will be a better bet.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 PM

Agree, midnight special.

That bike is one of my favorites of all time, and were it available in 56 (good luck finding it) I’d have that instead of the Santa Cruz Stigmata…aside from picking it up, blind while riding I’d be hard pressed to say which I’m on since the geometry is so similar. The carbon is a tiny bit smoother riding…maybe.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 07-29-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:18 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
The LHT is a very, very stout bike that really is intended for fully laden touring. It becomes a more 'normal' feeling bike under heavy load, but unladen, or lightly loaded... well... its not that great.

A Midnight Special will be a better bet.
I would agree.

My 56cm LHT Deluxe (S&S coupled) carrying 80 Ib loads, super stable at >50mph descent.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:34 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I have a friend locally who is looking for a bike. She and her husband both have pretty nice FS 29er MTBs, and he has a Domane too. They’re not bike nuts like us but they are both fit.

She wants a road bike. It sounds as though she wants something to ride for errands, or if they decide to ride for coffee, etc. She seems pretty clear she isn't looking for a pure road bike like his. They did their own research and landed on the LHT Disc.

She is about 5’10” or maybe a bit more. I put her on a couple of my bikes and the one she felt good on is the Bob Jackson, by far the longest/tallest of my bikes, with a TT of 573mm. That puts her on a 56 LHT (the one with 700c wheels, Surly picks a weird size to change from 26” to 700c).

So -
- is the LHT a good pick for her?
- are there better alternatives in the same price range?
- anyone with a used bike with similar features looking to sell?

I own a Big Dummy and love it for its intended function, but Surlys in general always seem to weigh a ton. But perhaps it’s a good selection for this rider?
Black Mountain Cycles Road Plus would be an extremely excellent choice for this use case, and at (nearly) Surly prices. When I owned a 56cm (equivalent in Mike Varley sizing to a 58 or a 60), it weighed about 26 pounds fully built with fenders and rack and very little carbon.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:34 PM

State and all city may have something as well.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:49 PM
n - 1

Soma Grand Randonneur?

Also, for daily errands and casual riding around, a mixte may be a good option as well.

Something like a Handsome She Devil (Soma has a mixte as well).

https://handsomecycles.com/products/she-devil
Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM

Totally agree, but I thought these were pretty unavailable for a year or so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Black Mountain Cycles Road Plus would be an extremely excellent choice for this use case, and at (nearly) Surly prices. When I owned a 56cm (equivalent in Mike Varley sizing to a 58 or a 60), it weighed about 26 pounds fully built with fenders and rack and very little carbon.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Totally agree, but I thought these were pretty unavailable for a year or so?
Very possible, I haven't kept up with availability but I can imagine that a small, one-man brand like Mike has been heavily impacted by the ongoing Taiwan situation. They do come up in the used market though - gotta keep an eye out! I think the OP would want a 50cm.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:57 PM

I was laughed at when I tried to order another midnight special. One rumor was 2023 but I have a hard time believing that.

Perhaps the LHT or other models are available but surlys are tough to find,it seems.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

I would have her test ride this.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Totally agree with this.. I test rode the LHT back in 2013 thinking I really wanted one.

I bought my All City Space Horse instead. The Space Horse is a "donkey" and is not a fast bike but it's a damn TdF Superbike compared to the LHT.

I would really not want an LHT unless I literally only used it when I had to carry at least 50lbs of stuff on front + rear racks.

I see a lot of casual riders go out with enough baggage to go on a multi-week tour pretty often, and they're just doing 5 miles on the MUT as far as I can tell. If someone really wants to ride that way so be it. But there's no reason to for most and I'd never encourage someone to do that as a newer rider..

My Space Horse is a 58 and weighs > 25lbs with stock tire sizes before you even go and put the fenders + rack on and can feel overly stiff. The LHT seemed a lot more stout than that and rode a lot harsher/stiffer too.

All City and Surly are both house brands of QBP... the All City models slot in pretty similarly and would appeal to the same people for the most part but are a bit lighter & more lively as they're not being marketed as dedicated bikepacking/touring bikes. You could still do a light tour on them, but they're more fun for every day practical riding.

I really wouldn't mind having one of those Rad Power Wagons.. I am still WFH for a good while, the Rad Power wagon would be perfect to pick my kid up at school on for times when riding him to school 2 ways and locking his bike up for the day there doesn't work but an afternoon pickup by bike would work. It would save significant time over the car, and I hate hate hate the current procession of SUVs and subsequent traffic jam that is the current situation with kids. The RAD would be a big upgrade there due to zero emissions and ability to go wherever a bike can go. I think the Rad stuff is sold out too though, and I know I'd have to instantly swap the seatpost on that bike, the max seat height is too short for me.

edit: RAD must have reworked the power wagon.. I notice it is more expensive than last year, and the max seat height is now advertised as 37"/93cm, more than high enough for me now.

Last edited by benb; 07-29-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:34 PM
Not a robot

I have a 56cm Long Haul Trucker (rim brake) frameset that I need to part with. It's a nice sage green & in good condition. I just have too many bikes & partially completed projects, and while it's technically in the ballpark fit-wise for me, I always found myself wishing it was just a tad smaller. I agree that they chose an odd size for the jump from 26" to 700c wheels. Some folks look down on Surly's in general, but I do think this model in particular is quite good for it's intended use.

Let me know if there's any interest & I'd be happy to see if we can work out a deal. It's been sitting in a box "ready for sale" for well over a year now, yet I haven't actively tried to sell it - that tells me I really don't *want* to get rid of it, even though I really *should*.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 PM

I'd rather walk than ride a LHT.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 PM

I'll toss the Specialized Sequoia in the ring. Super stable and more rack mounts than I care to count. Clearance for 50mm Gravel King but the 42mm it comes with are really decent. It'll handle double track with ease and cruise on a rail trail all day long.