Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 01:25 PM

10-50 or 10-52

Anyone with any experience with these 2 Sram cassettes?

If so do you feel the extra range is “worth it” to have a bigger jump with the last shift to the 52T ring? Is it a more pronounced change in cadence than the other gears?

Seems in all likelihood that they will be nearly identical in real world use though.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:30 PM

I got a MTB with 10-50 (34t Oval up front) and thought I would never use the 50, boy was I wrong! I guess it depends on what you have up front and what terrain you are riding, but if you're riding up some steep stuff or just need the added gear, go 52!
Old 07-29-2021, 01:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overshot View Post
Anyone with any experience with these 2 Sram cassettes?

If so do you feel the extra range is “worth it” to have a bigger jump with the last shift to the 52T ring? Is it a more pronounced change in cadence than the other gears?

Seems in all likelihood that they will be nearly identical in real world use though.
The jump is already big with the 50 - it goes from 42 to 50. The 52 jumps from 42 to 52. For me at least, I don't notice the jump being particularly different, since it's already a pretty large jump.

FWIW, the Shimano 12 speed cassettes have a more closely spaced set of climbing gears at the top (28-33-39-45-51) that I prefer. I have heard of people running Shimano 12 cassettes with SRAM 12 speed drivetrains, though you have to get a Microspline hub. YMMV.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:33 PM

I've got bikes with both, as well as the Shimano 10-51. I don't remember what the 11th cog is, but jumping to the 52t feels like falling off a cliff, moreso than the 50. On the other hand, when I need the 52, it's really nice to have. I can recall a few occasions, especially bikepacking, where 28x50 wasn't low enough.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
The jump is already big with the 50 - it goes from 42 to 50. The 52 jumps from 42 to 52. For me at least, I don't notice the jump being particularly different, since it's already a pretty large jump.

FWIW, the Shimano 12 speed cassettes have a more closely spaced set of climbing gears at the top (28-33-39-45-51) that I prefer. I have heard of people running Shimano 12 cassettes with SRAM 12 speed drivetrains, though you have to get a Microspline hub. YMMV.
I run a Shimano 10-45 12s cassette on a gravel bike with SRAM AXS 12s. With a 44t front ring, the 44:10 combo is almost the same as a 50:11, very fast, arguably too fast, for most gravel. Same 44t front ring to a 45t rear offers the better than 1:1 climbing ratio, which gets one up almost any steep gravel road I've ever ridden. For gravel use, I've decided a 50, 51 or 52 is too much and instead, prefer the tighter gaps. YMMV.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I run a Shimano 10-45 12s cassette on a gravel bike with SRAM AXS 12s. With a 44t front ring, the 44:10 combo is almost the same as a 50:11, very fast, arguably too fast, for most gravel. Same 44t front ring to a 45t rear offers the better than 1:1 climbing ratio, which gets one up almost any steep gravel road I've ever ridden. For gravel use, I've decided a 50, 51 or 52 is too much and instead, prefer the tighter gaps. YMMV.
Was thinking about a similar setup, which front chainring do you use? The new 12s shimano MTB stuff has hyperglide tech with a chain that's shaped differently than others to aid in the smoother gear changes, but apparently it doesn't play well with most chainrings.

Did you go with just the cassette in back, or did you also go with a shimano chain and chainrings up front?

To the OP, highly doubt the extra 4% of usable range will be noticeable. So 4% easier top gear vs 10g weight difference in XX1 guise, maybe more for other cassettes.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 PM

From what I gathered with mixing and matching 12s Shimano/SRAM MTB, you need to match the chainring + chain + cassette for things to work nicely.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Meh

Quote:
Totally. This is really terrain dependent, though. With fat tires on 700c wheels, 1:1 is often significantly overgeared for chunky, loose West Coast fire roads, where standing up will immediately earn you a spin-out. You need at least one gear in the 18-22 gear inches range, and preferably more than one (lower is better if you're hauling stuff).
Old 07-29-2021, 02:29 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:

You'll also need a Shimano HG+ compatible chainring and HG+ chain. Eagle chain and ring not compatible with the the new Microspline 12 cassettes.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM

I ride a 34, 10x50. Only times Im in 50 is super steep stuff or slow pedaling with my son.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
This sounds perfect to me until it’s not. I did not realize there were shimano cassettes to consider with AXS.

I have 42 10x50 and do not like the big jumps across most the range, but admit I’m getting used to it and learning which cadence and gear will achieve desired goal. I do use the 50, very rarely, but I ride more single track than gravel roads and it’s very much appreciated then…
Old 07-29-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Was thinking about a similar setup, which front chainring do you use? The new 12s shimano MTB stuff has hyperglide tech with a chain that's shaped differently than others to aid in the smoother gear changes, but apparently it doesn't play well with most chainrings.

Did you go with just the cassette in back, or did you also go with a shimano chain and chainrings up front?

To the OP, highly doubt the extra 4% of usable range will be noticeable. So 4% easier top gear vs 10g weight difference in XX1 guise, maybe more for other cassettes.
Both, sort of. I'm using an Absolute Black 1x 44t ring on the front. May even got to 42t since I never use 44/10. I had this set up on a bike with the correct Shimano chain. I've moved it over to another bike and the mechanic, for whatever reason, used my SRAM Eagle 12s chain. Both seem to work and I can't tell a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
From what I gathered with mixing and matching 12s Shimano/SRAM MTB, you need to match the chainring + chain + cassette for things to work nicely.
Since these are 1x setups, the chain rings are of little importance as long as they move the chain around their perimeter. Merely match the chain and the cassette and you'll be good. As mentioned above ^^, I've even got a SRAM Eagle chain currently mated to an XTR 12s 10-45 and it works without issue, not that I won't switch back to the Shimano chain next chance I have.

Last edited by mistermo; 07-29-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:01 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Both, sort of. I'm using an Absolute Black 1x 44t ring on the front. May even got to 42t since I never use 44/10. I had this set up on a bike with the correct Shimano chain. I've moved it over to another bike and the mechanic, for whatever reason, used my SRAM Eagle 12s chain. Both seem to work and I can't tell a difference.

Since these are 1x setups, the chain rings are of little importance as long as they move the chain around their perimeter. Merely match the chain and the cassette and you'll be good. As mentioned above ^^, I've even got a SRAM Eagle chain currently mated to an XTR 12s 10-45 and it works without issue, not that I won't switch back to the Shimano chain next chance I have.
If you do end up using an HG+ chain, the inner width is narrower than a Sram Eagle chain. An HG+ chain will suck onto the teeth of a non HG+ chainring...unless the ring is super worn out
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-19-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Good input - exactly what I was looking for. I realize that last jump will be bigger anyway but good to know it wont be an insane jump.

I will be running a 38T ring, and this will be on an drop bar MTB with a combo of unloaded, and very lightly loaded on a mix of New England terrain.

Thanks again for all the good feedback👍🏽