Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Maybe some wishful thinking but I'd love it if one day one of these scumbags who does something horrendous would have the cajones to come clean and take responsibility for what they've done and start to repent for what they've put families through and say "hey.....you know what, I don't want to drag this out and hide like a coward behind my attorney and play legal games......I was the one driving, I purposely steered my car into a group of folks and dammit I deserve to be put away."

Again......wishful thinking.
Have you ever been in a car accident where the other party was entirely at fault, and they admitted it in the immediate aftermath? It's shocking how often those same people convince themselves later that it wasn't really their fault, and their story about what happened changes.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I think the “Not Guilty” gives them time and opportunity to work out a plea deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always thought plea deals as something to use on a case that the prosecutors don't have concrete evidence on, so it saves their time and energy. But for something like this with bunch of witnesses and arrest made in his vehicle, I'm not sure why a plea deal is necessary. Shouldn't he be punished to the fullest extent of law?

Last edited by zmalwo; 07-29-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I always thought plea deals as something to use on a case that the prosecutors don't have concrete evidence on, so it saves their time and energy. But for something like this with bunch of witnesses and arrest made in his vehicle, I'm not sure why a plea deal is necessary. Shouldn't he be punished to the fullest extend of law?

You would think, but it’s never as simple as that. Lawyers can tear apart all kinds of “evidence “ and witness statements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
You would think, but it’s never as simple as that. Lawyers can tear apart all kinds of “evidence “ and witness statements
Also, going to a jury is always a crap-shoot, with frequently unpredictable outcomes. Sometimes is it is better to go a for a lesser charge with guaranteed conviction, rather than playing the odds with a trial where the defendant could walk scot-free.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:41 PM
new day rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Maybe some wishful thinking but I'd love it if one day one of these scumbags who does something horrendous would have the cajones to come clean and take responsibility for what they've done and start to repent for what they've put families through and say "hey.....you know what, I don't want to drag this out and hide like a coward behind my attorney and play legal games......I was the one driving, I purposely steered my car into a group of folks and dammit I deserve to be put away."

Again......wishful thinking.
Some do, but what is the appropriate penalty for the act they committed? What you call 'hiding behind an attorney and playing legal games' I call 'due process'.

Arraignments are part of the process and negotiations to determine a mutually acceptable sentence are also part of the process. In Georgia, the death penalty would be on the table for this incident. Would you still think the person should say,"Hey I admit it" with a capital sentence as the punishment?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:27 PM

Really makes you wonder about the perp's motives in cases like these. It sounds like it was a deliberate act. Why?

KJ
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I always thought plea deals as something to use on a case that the prosecutors don't have concrete evidence on, so it saves their time and energy. But for something like this with bunch of witnesses and arrest made in his vehicle, I'm not sure why a plea deal is necessary. Shouldn't he be punished to the fullest extent of law?
Trials are incredibly costly and time-consuming, even if the outcome is near certain. We have neither enough prosecutors nor judges to take even if the fraction of the potential cases to trial. The system only works (to the extent that it does) because of plea agreements.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Cops shot this guy in the process of apprehending him. Doubt he'll get much of a deal, but worse things have happened.
Usually happens to criminals when they point a gun at law enforcement.

I still say cops can't shoot worth a lick
Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Trials are incredibly costly and time-consuming, even if the outcome is near certain. We have neither enough prosecutors nor judges to take even if the fraction of the potential cases to trial. The system only works (to the extent that it does) because of plea agreements.
This^^^^^^^^.

Probably 98% of cases are settled and not tried. Based on the news, this guy’s offer will be really bad and it could go to trial. And what you read in the news is never the whole story.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Have you ever been in a car accident where the other party was entirely at fault, and they admitted it in the immediate aftermath? It's shocking how often those same people convince themselves later that it wasn't really their fault, and their story about what happened changes.
yep...guy ignored a stop sign, took me out on the bike. he stopped, asked if I was ok, admitted he was at fault, and even called 911 to get EMS for me. the irony being he didn't see the stop sign because he was looking at his phone...

the next day, he didn't recall the incident that way at all...said I was the one who blew thru the intersection without stopping.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
yep...guy ignored a stop sign, took me out on the bike. he stopped, asked if I was ok, admitted he was at fault, and even called 911 to get EMS for me. the irony being he didn't see the stop sign because he was looking at his phone...

the next day, he didn't recall the incident that way at all...said I was the one who blew thru the intersection without stopping.
Arrrggg.........getting angry

I was hit by a guy that plowed through stop sign back in 2016, a month before we moved into our current home.

Guy stuck around and was super apologetic to myself and to witnesses that showed up but once cops arrived sang completely different tune and talked about how I came out of nowhere. Definition of POS..............
Old 07-30-2021, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I have but I agree..the legal 'system' is really gooned up(along with the heath care 'system'..see the Phil Gaimon thread-pal).

I was hit from behind while riding by a lady in a P/U truck who fell asleep..she told the cop, 'I fell asleep and hit him'..but very, very rare..