Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 PM

Am I Crazy? - Tubular to clincher conversion

Just to put it out there first - this is not an attempt to bring up the tubular vs clincher discussion again.
Here’s the question for the wheel builder experts out there - I have a set of rim brake tubular Campy Bora Ultra 35s. I have reigned myself to the fact that tubulars are on their way out and am looking to switch over to tubeless. Would it make sense to buy a set of rim brake WTO rims and have them laced to the hubs from my Bora Ultra tubulars? Would the cost be almost the same as just buying a new set of WTO45s?
Old 07-27-2021, 10:13 PM

Funny, I have been contemplating getting a nice set of sewups (or tubulars, as it were) for a Sunday ride bike. It's been several presidential administrations since I last busted out the monkey puss to glue tires on (Tubasti, for those who might remember that....).

Last weekend I stopped at a public park to fill up bottle from water fountain, and a dude on a new Colnago with fancy carbon tubular wheels was walking past. I asked him if he was ok, and he lamented that he had not brought a spare tire with him and that the goop he filled his tire with didn't work.

That convo set me straight and reminded me of why I have been using clinchers for a long time now.

(Sorry, this doesn't answer your question!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Just to put it out there first - this is not an attempt to bring up the tubular vs clincher discussion again.
Here’s the question for the wheel builder experts out there - I have a set of rim brake tubular Campy Bora Ultra 35s. I have reigned myself to the fact that tubulars are on their way out and am looking to switch over to tubeless. Would it make sense to buy a set of rim brake WTO rims and have them laced to the hubs from my Bora Ultra tubulars? Would the cost be almost the same as just buying a new set of WTO45s?

Last edited by 54ny77; 07-27-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Old Potato or another wheelbuilder may have access to some exact figures but I'd guess to WTO rims are not much cheaper than the entire wheelset. You'll take a big hit on selling the Ultras (I just sold some great Ultra 50s for around $800 (ugh) but you can get WTO (not ultras) from Starbike for around $1700 so I guess the math would be whether the rims, plus rebuild (probably need new spokes too) can be had for less than $900.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:57 PM

If that's your direction then just sell them, cheaper most likely and less of a headache...
Old 07-28-2021, 06:07 AM

Or keep them. I think the "tubulars are on the way out" is a story that gets repeated every few years.

"Life is too short to ride on garden hose." -- someone I read on the Internet.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Going to need new spokes also..New rims are in the $250 or so range last time I checked, getting them 'may' be an adventure. ..and spokes probably in the $3-$4 per. No spoke holes in rims, uses a magnet to fish the nipple thru. I think the hubs on Bora compatible with spokes for WTO but not sure. Labor, who knows..I'm not sure I would even want to tackle this... 'Maybe' in the $900 or so range to do this.

So..I'd say either keep 'em or sell 'em(tubulars aren't 'on the way out', yet)
and look for some tubeless wheels...

BTLOS.com

IMHO

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-28-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Going to need new spokes also..New rims are in the $250 or so range last time I checked, getting them 'may' be an adventure. ..and spokes probably in the $3-$4 per. No spoke holes in rims, uses a magnet to fish the nipple thru. I think the hubs on Bora compatible with spokes for WTO but not sure. Labor, who knows..I'm not sure I would even want to tackle this... 'Maybe' in the $900 or so range to do this.

So..I'd say either keep 'em or sell 'em(tubulars aren't 'on the way out', yet)
and look for some tubeless wheels...

BTLOS.com

IMHO
i would be literally shocked if you could get a WTO rim anywhere near the $250 range.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i would be literally shocked if you could get a WTO rim anywhere near the $250 range.
Probably, I don't really know...I'd be shocked if you could even GET a WTO rim..
Old 07-28-2021, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Probably, I don't really know...I'd be shocked if you could even GET a WTO rim..
agreed. the current state of affairs is a little nuts right now.

i think the OP should just keep the tubulars. realistically who cares if tubulars are "on their way out" whatever that means. good wheels are good wheels, and there are no shortage of good tubular tires to choose from, so i dont see the problem. bora tubs are literally the best wheels i have ever used. i'm sure the WTOs are nice, but i dont think they would be a real improvement in any area for road use.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
agreed. the current state of affairs is a little nuts right now.

i think the OP should just keep the tubulars. realistically who cares if tubulars are "on their way out" whatever that means. good wheels are good wheels, and there are no shortage of good tubular tires to choose from, so i dont see the problem. bora tubs are literally the best wheels i have ever used. i'm sure the WTOs are nice, but i dont think they would be a real improvement in any area for road use.
+ 1

It just doesn't make sense to rebuild. Sell them if you must, and buy what you desire.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM

The older I get the more I think about putting tubulars back on my climbing bike. I routinely hit speeds on long descents in the 50 mph range and the thought of a clincher flatting and rolling off keeps creeping into my mind lately.

I don't buy into the tubulars are on the way out. I have added tubulars to my classic OPUS III and the one of the Giordana XL Super this year. They ride so nice and it's really not an issue to carry a spare.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There seems to be general agreement around the fact that I am crazy for considering it. I’ll keep on the lookout for discounts on rim brake WTOs - since we all know that rim brakes are on their way out !
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Or keep them. I think the "tubulars are on the way out" is a story that gets repeated every few years.

"Life is too short to ride on garden hose." -- someone I read on the Internet.
+1

also, i'm 55, i ride less now than i did 20 years ago, i have a box of NOS tubulars and a couple of tubular rims in storage.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

Last weekend I stopped at a public park to fill up bottle from water fountain, and a dude on a new Colnago with fancy carbon tubular wheels was walking past. I asked him if he was ok, and he lamented that he had not brought a spare tire with him and that the goop he filled his tire with didn't work.

That convo set me straight and reminded me of why I have been using clinchers for a long time now.

So…is not bringing a spare tubular worse than not bringing a spare tube if you flat? Is the argument you have a higher probability of finding a generous soul with a spare tube? And the rare occasions when you slash a sidewall that cannot be booted, a spare tube won’t do you any good, whereas a spare tubular is fine.

Not sure how the tale pushes the decision about clinchers, but it would be a reminder to bring a spare (if whatever you ride).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 06:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

Ridng once with a guy..he on clinchers, me on tubulars..he CUTS HIS tire..no boot, no spare tire..no cell phone..OMG...

Took my spare tubular, put it on his clincher rim and yup..limped home.
Quote:
That convo set me straight and reminded me of why I have been using tubulars for a long time now.