Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 AM
PegoNagos

When I bought my Pegoretti I figured it would sit in the box for a year or 2 (because I couldn't afford the parts to build it), but when it arrived, I made the mistake of taking it out of the box.

I then stripped everything from my Colnago to put it on the Peg.....
Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM

I guess it’s like a barnyard find but modern day storage find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
In 2010 I stumbled across a NOS 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa

I answered an ad on Craigslist from a guy who was looking to trade a bike he had for a Cinelli Supercorsa. I didn't have a Cinelli Supercorsa but I was interested to see what he was offering up for trade and maybe I could just buy it off him.

Well, it turned out his English was pretty poor and he in fact had 3 Cinelli Supercorsas and he was looking to sell!

I immediately met up with him at his storage unit and it was like entering Alladin's cave----he had owned a bike shop in the '70s and '80s and had a lot of bikes and many boxes of parts.

He showed me some Colnagos and a couple of French bikes and of course his Cinellis but he only had 2, so I asked where the third one was and he pulled out a box and it was a NOS silver one from 1985 that was still in the wrapping paper, never built up, never even had a wheel in the drops.

I bought it and a couple of other things, including an old Campagnolo workstand from the 1960s that is completely useless but is kind of neat to look at

I would have bought everything but I just didn't have the money at the time

It is my size and I have many different groups that would work great with it but I dunno, just haven't got around to it yet

If I didn't have so many other frames that are similar, I would build it but I think it is pretty valuable sitting in the bag, still NOS

Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM

Just hit a year

I'm on my longest unbuilt frameset, by far.

For a good decade, I enjoyed a late model fillet brazed Basso Gap. This bike accompanied me during times in Chicago, San Francisco, Denver, and metro Detroit. It's not light, but I enjoyed the mix of lugs, fillets, and that fork crown. I also loved how it rode. It reminded me of a nice luxury car.
However, it was always one size too small. I had a custom bike made that fit properly, and I finally let it go.

Last June, GBCoupe listed the exact same frame in my proper size. The seat tube angle and ETT are actually the exact same as my custom bike. Nostalgia kicked in. I don't typically find nostalgic impulses particularly healthy, but this one had set. It's a bike I don't need, but it brings a lot of nice memories and the investment was relatively low.

This last year had a lot of house projects, and I was prioritizing my time riding. I'll get her built back up this winter when the weather has me preferring tackling indoor projects vs playing outside.

My "first real road bike":
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1602266438

The frame to be built:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1598036491
Old 07-29-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
How long have you kept a frame hanging until you built it?
It would be hours or a day at most.
But that is because I only ever have one bike at a time

I do of course have spare parts in case
Such as cable set,chain,tires,brake pads etc etc