Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 08:50 PM

How long have you kept a frame hanging until you built it?

I have way too many bikes. To makes matters worse, I have way too many hobbies to even ride one bike. And even when I am on my latest and great Ti bike or the 13 lb carbon wunder machine, I get passed by people on 17% curves as if I am standing still. Yup, happened today (like is alomost always happens). Guy FLEW past me on the steepest part of the mountain! Yet, I am addicted to bikes even though I do not deserve to be on them. I live and breathe them. I wish I could buy any bike I wanted, build it up, then ride it as often, as little, or not at all.

Anyway, I digress.

I am itching to buy a new frame. There is no reason to buy it. I have plenty of bikes. But, remember...my addiction? Anyway, even if I buy this frame, I have no intention of building it for maybe a year. I have always bought a frame and built it and ridden it. So, storing it for a year (until I can find parts slowly) seems so strange.

Anyone want to help an addict out? If you have stored frames for longer than a year, give me a holler. We can hang. Then maybe I can rationalize buying frame and storing it for a year.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:00 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

A special edition Nagasawa I ordered in 2002 arrived in 2004.
It’s still several components away from being fully assembled.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/986633...57600705950461
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 PM

I build lugged steel frames in my garage as a hobby and as soon as one is complete my mind turns to the next, even though I can't logically justify it. Can't wait for retirement so I can ride more and diversify, such as build a gravel bike and such. Counting down the days...
Old 07-27-2021, 09:44 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

There is no dishonor if "life gets in the way" and it takes a while to get built.
Enjoy the bicycles you have and enjoy the newest one when it is completed.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
A special edition Nagasawa I ordered in 2002 arrived in 2004.
It’s still several components away from being fully assembled.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/986633...57600705950461
Looks like all you're missing is the chain and the derailleur cables!
Old 07-27-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have way too many bikes. To makes matters worse, I have way too many hobbies to even ride one bike. And even when I am on my latest and great Ti bike or the 13 lb carbon wunder machine, I get passed by people on 17% curves as if I am standing still. Yup, happened today (like is alomost always happens). Guy FLEW past me on the steepest part of the mountain! Yet, I am addicted to bikes even though I do not deserve to be on them. I live and breathe them. I wish I could buy any bike I wanted, build it up, then ride it as often, as little, or not at all.

Anyway, I digress.

I am itching to buy a new frame. There is no reason to buy it. I have plenty of bikes. But, remember...my addiction? Anyway, even if I buy this frame, I have no intention of building it for maybe a year. I have always bought a frame and built it and ridden it. So, storing it for a year (until I can find parts slowly) seems so strange.

Anyone want to help an addict out? If you have stored frames for longer than a year, give me a holler. We can hang. Then maybe I can rationalize buying frame and storing it for a year.
Start building bikes for riding buddies and you’ll get the same enjoyment. As for going on climbs, just keep your own pace and don’t let it get to you. I swallow my pride when someone older than me passes me. Just remind yourself why you enjoy riding.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:04 PM

I built a frame for myself back in 1991 (Reynolds 753 and custom cut polished stainless lugs) that never got painted or built up and ridden. It's being painted now and I'll be riding this 'vintage' bike in this years Cino Heroica. So just 30 years. It's been hanging on a hook in my basement all this time.

You know you're not a kid anymore when a bike you build qualifies as 'vintage'.

dave
Old 07-27-2021, 11:14 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Life is short and if you enjoy the process and can afford it then what’s the harm? One of my best friends collects “vintage” sports cars, they mostly sit in a garage until the day he feels like taking one for a spin. I think of him whenever I’m in the irrational state. Bikes are fun and if opportunity is knocking to pick up the foundational part of a fun project (the frame) well, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 11:21 PM
Randomhead

I built my first frame in 1976 and never built it up. Another I built in 1981 has never been built up.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:37 AM

I have a NOS C50 I bought in Italy about 5 years ago, I started to build it and moved the components to another frame. Its been sitting on my desk for a few years now.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 AM
Administrator

I'm there with you. too many bikes. not enough time. plenty of other hobbies.

i've got a definite handful of frames that i had big plans for that are sitting untouched. one day maybe.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:51 AM

Never
Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 AM

7 years and counting...

bottecchia equipe-tsx...with a box o' c-record bits ready to go!

Old 07-28-2021, 08:40 AM

I have a bob Jackson gold chrome frame with metallic burgundy panels

It's my wall art because the gold chrome is flaking off and I don't want to see it gone.....and it's soooooo purdy

Tried to post a picture but PL tells me that I already have posted this picture once before
Old 07-28-2021, 09:32 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I think the longest a frame in my collection has remained unbuilt probably is an Exxon Graftek that was an eBay purchase from about 2003. There’s also a Teledyne Titan as well as an NOS Paramount still in the box that I purchased in 2005.