Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 08:34 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Perhaps company ethics are completely irrelevant to your purchasing decisions, but they matter to others.

Hope you don't google China and human rights.... or German companies in the 1940's... or America...
Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Maybe before preaching, have a clue about what you're talking about. I knew nothing about the Brethren church, so I looked on Wiki. Apparently it's one of three "peaceful" Christian sects, the others being the Mennonites and Quakers, and have all adopted modern beliefs to women's rights. And the one article mentioned the opinion of one anonymous employee. If you want to discriminate based on religion, have at it. Just get off the ethics pulpit. Now, back to helmets please...
the anonymous employee is named in the article, it is Andrea Bremicker, a member of the owner family, who was dropped from the business and cut from inheriting anything after her father had died, because she's female.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post

Hope you don't google China and human rights.... or German companies in the 1940's... or America...
OK, so you apparently don't think it is important, but you can at least respect the views of those who think it is.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe before preaching, have a clue about what you're talking about. I knew nothing about the Brethren church, so I looked on Wiki. Apparently it's one of three "peaceful" Christian sects, the others being the Mennonites and Quakers, and have all adopted modern beliefs to women's rights. And the one article mentioned the opinion of one anonymous employee. If you want to discriminate based on religion, have at it. Just get off the ethics pulpit. Now, back to helmets please...
I'm not preaching anything. I'm simply saying you shouldn't resort to name calling of others on the board who happen to disagree with you. Is that too much to ask?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:29 PM

Can we get a reading on other helmet manufacturers? Or manufacturers of anything bicycle related?

Or is Abus just the cause du jour for you?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Can we get a reading on other helmet manufacturers? Or manufacturers of anything bicycle related?

Or is Abus just the cause du jour for you?
I don't know if you are talking to me, particularly since I am not the one who raised the issue about Abus. I was not aware of it and would want to understand more about it beyond Wiki or the translated excerpt. I'm simply saying be respectful of those to whom it is important.

But if you are talking to me, I personally wouldn't buy anything from Specialized for the reasons others have pointed out on this board relating to their IP litigation threats. I'm not suggesting anyone boycott Specialized, but I choose not to give them my money. Cheers.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:51 PM

This got interesting.

I have a big dumb german head and the gamechanger (M) fits really well compared to my Kask Protone (M)--the gamechanger doesn't breathe at all.

Would like to get a lighter Abus for times of the year that aren't "winter" but they're like $275 so I just say that I don't want to support that company. Win-Win...the abus does fit really well though.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:30 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
If you want to discriminate based on religion, have at it. Just get off the ethics pulpit. Now, back to helmets please...
OP here. I appreciate the heads up about the company and, for me, it's relevant to my original question. Using "discriminate" here is misleading, since we all discriminate in our purchase decisions, taking into account a range of factors (i.e., Paceliners all have discriminating taste). I prefer to patronize companies that demonstrate ethics I endorse and not give my money to those that support policies to which I am opposed. You know, vote with your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I don't know about others but there is at least one thread about Giro's (and Blackburn's, and Camelbak's, and …) corporate ownership; though I believe the parent company may have divested one or more of them, I don't remember.

Last edited by cgolvin; 07-29-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
OP here. I appreciate the heads up about the company and, for me, it's relevant to my original question. Using "discriminate" here is misleading, since we all discriminate in our purchase decisions, taking into account a range of factors (i.e., Paceliners all have discriminating taste). I prefer to patronize companies that demonstrate ethics I endorse and not give my money to those that support policies to which I am opposed. You know, vote with your wallet.

I don't know about others but there is at least one thread about Giro's (and Blackburn's, and Camelbak's, and …) corporate ownership; though I believe the parent company may have divested one or more of them, I don't remember.
I think Vista Outdoor (parent of Giro, Blackburn, CamelBak...) divested of Savage Arms in 2019 but has since picked up Remington.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:15 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I was mentioning it because i try to make my product decisions pretty much the same way @cgolvin does, and i thought others might be interested as well. For example, i also avoid Birkenstock shoes

i wasn't mentioning this controversy about Abus to tell everyone what they should or shouldn't buy. It is none of my business what you buy.

Last edited by martl; 07-30-2021 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:39 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Corporations don't support your views in most cases.

Now back to helmets, I was looking at the Airbreaker online, reviews seem positive, but curious about real world opinions. And since I can't find one locally to see for myself, you guys are the next best thing..

Anyone who has the Airbeaker, can you give me your opinion of the quality, fit, safety, etc?

I currently use a Lazer g1 MIPS and Giro Aether MIPS and although the Airbreaker doesn't come with a MIPS option, it is not a deal breaker but fit and quality are.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:46 PM
DELETE ACCNT

are Martl and djdj the same person?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:24 PM

Sure. And cglovin must be, too. I mean, how could 3 different people feel corporate ethics are important?

Added to ignore list.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:48 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Cool, me and my helmet are cancelled.

Everyone has an interest in corporate ethics and votes with their dollars.
Though I get your me vs. you outlook on life, it's a slippery slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Sure. And cglovin must be, too. I mean, how could 3 different people feel corporate ethics are important?

Added to ignore list.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
This got interesting.

I have a big dumb german head and the gamechanger (M) fits really well compared to my Kask Protone (M)--the gamechanger doesn't breathe at all.

Would like to get a lighter Abus for times of the year that aren't "winter" but they're like $275 so I just say that I don't want to support that company. Win-Win...the abus does fit really well though.
Canyon US used to have the Airbreakers with Canyon logo somewhere on them, and they sold for under $200. They seem to only be down to a couple sizes of Gamechangers now. You could ask Canyon if these are coming back.