Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 04:58 PM

Indoor Trainer Advice

It’s probably a bit early for this, but here it goes.

The past couple of years have been rough, with pandemic stuff only being one piece of the puzzle.

As I think about cycling through the upcoming winter, I’m already shaking my head no. Maybe I’m just getting older.

The question is: Are these smart trainers worth it? Last time I did the winter indoor thing I’d have no problem watching a movie and doing garmin prompted interval workouts on a Fluid Pro

I know it’s subjective, but are the smart trainers a totally different experience?

Would be nice to hear some perspectives.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:13 PM

I do not personally find Zwift/similar software engaging enough to use without watching something on the TV (unless I’m doing a very high intensity session that is like 30 minutes long) or an FTP test. I would use it on a laptop and still have the TV on.

What I do find, however, is that it’s way more engaging from a ride feel perspective. Auto resistance by itself makes a smart trainer worth it for me. Flywheel trainers are also a totally different beast to wheel on trainers and I can’t imagine ever using a wheel on trainer ever again - they seem so, so antiquated.

With that said, I don’t have a trainer anymore and wouldn’t rebuy one because I don’t need to living in SoCal but when I was in NYC I absolutely loved it.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I know it’s subjective, but are the smart trainers a totally different experience?
totally different? no.

but they are sufficiently different to represent a useful variation of traditional indoor training.

there's the organization dynamic, in terms of having scheduled events to partake -- be it a ride or race. and the ability pick rides at whatever level of misery you want.

and then there's the virtual group riding dynamic. it's not the same as IRL, but it does approximate some aspects -- drafting, momentum, varying inclines, downhills, etc.

i was a total skeptic, but after a few months with my Neo2T and getting used to the resistance feel differences compared to my kinetic, i got over the hump and appreciate what it is -- another indoor training option to avoid mental burnout.

i have friends that log hours and hours of zwift time, like the majority of their annual miles are virtual -- i'll probably never get there, but for some it is a viable alternative to outdoor riding.

Last edited by wallymann; 07-26-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:29 PM

I do a lot of riding indoors due to my wife’s health. Thru the years I have used every type of trainer. Turbo, rollers, computrainer smart trainer and now smart bike. I do 3000 miles a year indoor. I ride a Wahoo bike now an it is the best. The issue with many trainers currently on the market is the calibration of the trainer. The bike auto calibrates so you always know that the power on the screen in correct. When riding on the cycling app’s you see people riding with all kinds of crazy w/kg numbers.

The Kickr bike free’s you of actual bike issues No chains and tires of deal with.
An the screen grab you can see I have a bunch of different gearing setups. An I can change gearing during the ride if I need to.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:29 PM

Being a competitive racer, who lives in the mountains, I live on a trainer for several months out of the year, and truth be told I rather enjoy it. From November 1st - March 30th of this past season I logged a bit under 200 hours of indoor training with less than 20 hours of outdoor rides. I've been a TrainerRoad user since 2012(largely as they're a great local group of guys), and really enjoy the tangible and measurable gains that the trainer provides, and that TrainerRoad makes visible. Come Spring, I certainly look forward to riding outside, and predominantly shift to outdoor riding around April or May as the roads dry out and racing begins. With that said, I can definitely admit that I'd be better off(results wise) if I were to stick to the structure that a trainer and the related workouts provide. Once I head outdoors I tend to freelance it, and find myself chasing random KOM's and losing focus on the end result, but I'm okay with this balance and fine admitting that it might not be ideal, but it's beneficial to my mental and physical health.

So my advice is to learn to love the process... and the little gains and benefits that come with indoor training.

***Side note, I'm still on a "wheel-on" Kurt Kinetic Trainer with upgraded flywheel that I've had since 2012... I have power meters on all my bikes these days, and largely only use one bike on the trainer, which I leave setup on there, and for which I have an extra wheel with specific trainer tire. The "road feel" of the Kurt trainers is better than any of the smart trainers out there, and I don't mind shifting and adjusting my cadence to hit my numbers, as I feel this is more realistic than Erg mode, and also provides some mental stimulation and focus. With that said, I'm tempted to make the leap to a Kickr for this next winter so that I can "ride" my disc brake bike that I typically race on.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:37 PM

For years I used wheel-on trainers of various sorts -- magnetic, fluid, even a Powerbeam Pro -- but all were too boring for any but very short rides. Then I bought a Stages smart bike, and it's a whole different world because it feels like a real bike. Huge difference, and it's getting some real use.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:26 PM

I've ridden indoor and Zwift for a couple of "offseasons" now. I'd suggest it to anyone who wants to stay in riding shape during the winter and not go totally crazy. A smart trainer is big for really using the program to it's fullest. If Zwift isn't doing it for you, there are others that let you ride "real" roads with video of the actual streets. For me, these are a fail. It's hard to explain, but riding the same road more than once and watching the same scenery go by each time is annoying. Same car passes you at 10:45 in. Same guy steps off the curb at that intersection. Every time.
Zwift at least changes every day, if only because the people you are riding with change. Someone new to chase every time.
Lots of people ONLY ride Zwift and do it a lot. I don't get that, but it keeps them going so have at it, I guess.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:32 PM

If you take the dive into a smart trainer I suggest a wheel off one. But I would leave room in your budget for the following in order of importance

1 good fan/fans
2 Apple TV
3 a decent size tv
4 newer Bluetooth headphones
5 some sort of phone holder on the bike

A 4th gen or newer Apple TV can run zwift or FulGaz easy. You just turn on your tv and it works. Your phone can operate some music (spotify duh) and with zwift the companion app.

Indoor training is what you make it. Some people love graphs, some like real film of outside, some like group rides, some like races. Do whatever you enjoy because no one is paying you to do it. I have found ways to have fun with zwift and my fitness improved because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Back At It!

As a non-competitive rider, I really enjoyed my Wahoo trainer this past winter when I was up in the Seattle area. I used Zwift for my software and it certainly kept my attention. I would recommend checking out a smart trainer, especially if you start looking now and can find a used one. I was lucky and picked up my Kickr Core for $500 off CL.

I had my Mac set up to Airplay to a 43" TV set up on a table in front of me, it worked really well.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:41 PM

I like my wahoo kickr a lot as well. I have my old steel bike on it and I logged more miles on it than ever last year.

I do watch TV while riding one of the zwift workouts.

Also, adding a rocker plate (E-flex from inside ride) made a lot of difference on the ride feel and made it much more enjoyable.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:47 AM

Big Neo 2T fan here, I use a vintage steel bike all winter long on it, running the TACX Trainer software. So nice to ride in European venues with which I’m familiar. Challenging, too- my fitness went way up after using it for 25-35 miles per day over five months. Helps to chase after lots of climbing.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:00 AM

I hate riding trainers and in the past would only grudgingly ride 30-45 min in the worst of winter weather but since I got a Kickr Snap I ride indoors a lot more. I use Zwift and will go an hour or two once or twice per week in winter. I run Zwift on an iPad on a camera tripod next to the bike. I still ride mostly outdoors in winter but this helps smooth out the fitness routine, especially as I couldn’t use the gym for basketball last winter.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I hate one equally as much as the other....
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 AM

I only use the trainer for 1-2hr for targeted workouts. Specific interval training only none of that multi hour group ride stuff.

I borrowed a smart trainer and hated it. Bike is locked. Also erg mode is boring. Mindless peddling.

I'm using the Feedback Sports Omnium resistance trainer. I just follow my training peaks workout on my Garmin 1030. Using the power meters that are on the bikes. All numbers are consisant weather in outside or inside. Using the gears on the bike to hit targeted as if I were actually riding the bike. Nice natural feel since the bike isn't locked in. Natural as in pedaling stroke and natural movement. I can also go between my road bike with rim brakes, gravel bike with disc, and my mountain bike.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:21 PM

I think you still need some internal motivation, but I have to admit, there are times when I'd see an upcoming zwift ride/event and I'd look forward to riding later in the day.

It's funny because in real life, I rarely ride with friends anymore. Partly because of scheduling with kids, and of course covid. It's so much harder to stay within a time constraint when you have a friend who always gets lost and the 80k ride turns into a 130k you weren't prepared for...

Zwift seems to give me that social side, and pushes me competitively. It's easier to find riders who are close to you which makes "racing" them a bit more interesting than the buddy you know can kick your butt when he's in the mood.

When motivated I can ride erg mode and just do my 2x20s or a steady 90 min ride that is part of a plan. Zwift opens up my unplanned/fun rides - my "easy" ride might end up being a race. I might feel like crap trying to do a set, give up and I'll see a group ride is starting in 5-10mins, and I'll join them and being in a group I'll be motivated to at least ride out the hour.

So to answer your question, Zwift is what made indoor riding fun for me. You can ride zwift without a smart trainer, but without the smart trainer changing resistance levels, it wouldn't be as immersive. Feeling the hills get harder and the resistance back off when you're in a draft is fun. No, its not the same as being outdoors, but its a good enough distraction with plenty of long term goals available which entice you to return.

Last edited by deechee; 07-26-2021 at 03:36 PM.