Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
You are completely disregarding the puncture resistance and durability of a polyurethane tube.

Have you tried Continental Supersonics or Continental Race Light tubes? I have and never again on a daily rider. So many punctures and friction, rim tape wear throughs, went back to the heaver Continental Race tubes and have not had a puncture or tire, tube issue in 2 years. Rolling resistance has little value if the tube won't hold air.
I've been using Continental Supersonics and Continental Race Lite tubes for many years. I don't use Supersonics in many wheels, but I can't recall ever getting a puncture with them. I use Continental Race Lites in most of my wheels, and I average less than 1 flat a year.

Previous iterations of PU tubes (such as Panaracer Greenlites) weren't very popular, and that was due to fragility/durability. How do we know these are any better? Most of the puncture resistance is in the tires, anyway.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:17 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
We all own ridiculously expensive stuff
I don't think I do, and still don't, but when somebody is shocked that my older steel Ultegra bike cost me 6000 dollars (6000 dollars! For a bicycle?!), then I guess it's all relative. Personally, I'm shocked at cube workers who spend 50 grand on a pickup truck that transports their 5000 dollar mountain bike that they are going to take into the woods and bash around and get really dirty and muddy in an hour or so.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Isn't 37$ for 3 tubes the current retail price?
I don't get that many flats...but had my first in about 3 years a couple weeks ago...I went to re-stock my seatbag with a new tube, and found that my stash was all 42mm stems (so too short for the tall rims I am mostly riding now) so I went tube shopping.....was shocked to see tubes are $10 each! Ouch....

(Merlin carries them for around $5-6 but I didn't have anything else to order so with shipping and stuff they came out about the same)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:25 AM

How ridiculous are we?

Quote:
You are completely disregarding the puncture resistance and durability of a polyurethane tube.
A goat head would go right through that fancy tube, then you would have to throw it away because it's not patchable.

Polyurethane tubes are not new. Panaracer offered them about 20 years ago. They can't take the heat. I got a flat on a 100° day with them. After dunking the partly inflated tube under water to find the leak, there were tiny leaks all around the rimstrip side of the tube. I was using Velox rim tape.

I wouldn't use these tubes on a rim braked bike, although maybe they've been improved since I last used them.

Last edited by MikeD; 07-20-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
My favorite is still the 50+ guy with a massive beer belly, trying to save a couple grams by upgrading his stem. Go buddy.
I feel like the fast cyclists disappeared the last 18 months and this guy is becoming the new norm around where I ride.

I'm not sure if it's cause racing went on hibernation and more of the fast people are training alone for safety so they're less visible or I'm just not keeping the same riding schedule due to still being an at home worker.

I am seeing way more of the uber-high end bikes with deep dish carbon wheels plus beer belly that look like they're averaging 13-14mph and it's super strange to pass them on my 25lb steel fat tire bike when I know I'm not happy with my own fitness to the point I don't feel justified putting the wear and tear on my faster bike.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:53 AM
slower than you

Maybe all the riders in your area have been drinking a ton of beer.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:00 AM

Also I don't think this tube is that ridiculous relative to all the other ridiculous stuff.

If you're not the kind of person who flats constantly this is $50 and it saves a little bit of weight, it seems it might save more that that $1/g benchmark.

It'd take a lifetime of buying these to add up to the same decadence as a $5k frame or $3k carbon wheelset.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Isn't 37$ for 3 tubes the current retail price?

Seems more like $19....Which may not be MSR but it is what those I shop with charge on average for 3 Continental Race Road Tubes
Old 07-20-2021, 01:03 PM
DELETE ACCNT

maybe it's because so many new riders took up cycling during the pandemic?
Maybe you're not riding with the fast people because there are plenty that have the 'covid-fitness' in my area.

I'm glad to see anyone on any bike. Nothing funny about it, especially this last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I feel like the fast cyclists disappeared the last 18 months and this guy is becoming the new norm around where I ride.

I'm not sure if it's cause racing went on hibernation and more of the fast people are training alone for safety so they're less visible or I'm just not keeping the same riding schedule due to still being an at home worker.

I am seeing way more of the uber-high end bikes with deep dish carbon wheels plus beer belly that look like they're averaging 13-14mph and it's super strange to pass them on my 25lb steel fat tire bike when I know I'm not happy with my own fitness to the point I don't feel justified putting the wear and tear on my faster bike.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM

When I see the prices for fancy watches that don't tell time better than a $20 Timex I don't feel too bad about cycling prices.

Tim
Old 07-20-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A goat head would go right through that fancy tube, then you would have to throw it away because it's not patchable.
I kindly suggest you update your knowledge, I will make it easy for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8xMyXdBto

https://www.tubolito.com/patch-kit/
Old 07-20-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I kindly suggest you update your knowledge, I will make it easy for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8xMyXdBto

https://www.tubolito.com/patch-kit/

I stand corrected, but are the patches actually reliable? Seems from a cursory search, the results are mixed.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:58 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Maybe all the riders in your area have been drinking a ton of beer.
This is me.

Through a job loss, then job search....all with a pregnant wife (and 2 teenagers)...straight into the jaws of Covid.....I drank sooo much beer. Admittedly, not healthy at all. So now I'm 20 lbs happier (aka fatter). My belly does look not awesome in a kit. I still look "fit" compared to regular folks though. I'm about to head to my home state of Wisconsin to visit family. I will look downright gaunt compared to those chubs!

I still love bikes (and riding them) just the same as my skinny self did.

And, to the actual discussion in this thread, I have tubolitos and haven't had any issues. I also carry the on-brand patch kit. Yes, expensive. I had an Aethos so I was contractually obligated to keep the (bike) weight down.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:05 PM
#RYFB

Best of luck with the employment situation (perhaps it's already resolved and you've switched to drinking beer to celebrate that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I had an Aethos so I was contractually obligated to keep the (bike) weight down.
D'oh ** n
Old 07-20-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I just received an email from a retailer advertising the new (?) Pirelli Pzero Presta SmarTube. $36.99 … for a tube.

I'm generally willing to pay a premium for quality items but some products just make me shake my head and mutter "cyclists are idiots".
It's not as ridiculous as you made it out to be. The Tubolito tubes are great to carry as an emergency tube in your kit bag - light, small, has plenty of stem length to choose from, and fit a wider range of tire width than regular tubes. It's definitely not for everyday use for sure.