Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 09:59 AM

Road tubeless - what do you carry for flats?

The cold CO2 causes sealant to dry up. Carry and use a pump instead.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...ant-questions/

If you must use CO2, inflate with the valve at the 12 o'clock position and inflate slowly to minimize thermal shock to the sealant.

Last edited by MikeD; 07-29-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:53 PM

After struggling to even install my Bora WTOs and Schwalbe One tires, there is no way I can take off the tires and remount them with a tube while on the side of the road and sealant all over my rim. The chance of pinching the tube IMO is also very high with how tight the tires are. I will look into these dynaplugs you cool kids are carrying.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:09 PM

I always carry tire levers, extra tube, CO2 and a plug.

I know many here use Dynaplug (and I used too), but I've switched to the Stans Dart. The plug itself has a little more material so can seal larger cuts, but more importantly, the material is designed to chemically react with latex based sealants to form an airtight bond.

I've used them several times with excellent results, the cut seals fast and holds air for a long period of time thereafter.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2021, 01:23 PM

for road, I carry co2 and a tube. had 1 flat in ~8k miles and counting gp5k tl 32s. a little "snotty" to change, but nbd. I haven't tried a plug but do carry one on gravel rides.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srider View Post
I always carry tire levers, extra tube, CO2 and a plug.

I know many here use Dynaplug (and I used too), but I've switched to the Stans Dart. The plug itself has a little more material so can seal larger cuts, but more importantly, the material is designed to chemically react with latex based sealants to form an airtight bond.

I've used them several times with excellent results, the cut seals fast and holds air for a long period of time thereafter.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
This is good to read. I’ve switched to a dart as well but haven’t used it yet. It’s a lot lighter weight, cheaper, but larger in size than the dynaplug, which I didn’t find worked that great in my gravel tires the two times I had to use it.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
This is good to read. I’ve switched to a dart as well but haven’t used it yet. It’s a lot lighter weight, cheaper, but larger in size than the dynaplug, which I didn’t find worked that great in my gravel tires the two times I had to use it.
I think because of the larger size, you have push a lot harder than you think you should need to, particularly if it's a small cut.