Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Your experience with frame pumps and 650B?

As i was airing up my 650x42 tires from completely empty last night with a regular floor pump, i am reminded about how much volume they hold. Started thinking about a roadside repair. i have to go measure my frame but i think i'll get a full size frame pump for the bike, but even with that, I feel like it's going to take a lot of pumping to get to usable pressure.

what's your experience with larger volume tires and roadside repairs? it's doable i'm sure, but should be an arm workout?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:18 AM

Totally doable even with a mini pump. I only bring a small zefal pump and it has worked every time.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 07:22 AM

I'd hate to inflate from flat, but routinely have to top up fiddly you-know-what brand 650x48s that get too squishy during rides using my Silca mini pocket sized pump.

Yea, it's a bit of a workout and hassle, but provides good fodder for friends to make juvenile jokes (think about it) and beats spending $7 or whatever a CO2 costs these days. I would be curious to try a frame pump in comparison though, but do not have one.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:11 AM

I’m pretty sure there are a few high volume mini pumps. You can do it with any pump it could just take a long time.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 AM

If you haven't seen it yet, the Cycling Tips rundown of mini pumps includes a section for Gravel/MTB: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/the-...-mtb-mini-pump

The big takeaway for you might be that to inflate a tire took 20 pumps from a floor pump, 60 from a frame pump, and around 100 for the top performing mini pumps.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:13 AM

The old planet bike "roadie" pump has saved me a number of times on Iowa gravel when I was running 35c+ tires. While it may take longer, it's definitely nice vs using CO2 (because it doesn't run out).
Old 07-30-2021, 08:14 AM

I seem to recall it takes 450-500 pumps to fill such a puffy tire up using a minipump. I had like 13 flats in 50 miles on a 38 wide mm super supple tire, what a freaking workout. Maybe memory is off, it can be done....just not quickly
Old 07-30-2021, 08:17 AM
Forward the Foundation

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ou...200000031.html

The Jumbo Shrimp of mini-pumps.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:18 AM

First time was with my Zefal HP pump. Not too bad and certainly doable. But a 16G CO2 inflator worked even better the next time.

I carry a frame pump on all the bikes except the few without a pump peg. But I also carry a CO2 inflator with one extra cartridge. Even though I'm old school kind of guy the CO2 inflator just makes life easier.

Pretty sure those were 42mm 650b tires on the Fuji....

Old 07-30-2021, 08:28 AM

No issues on my 650b x 47 tires with a Topeak Road Morph G. Had 3 flats last Friday, ugh.

You could also look at the Topeak Mountain Morph G.

Those Topeak Morph pumps are just so we'll designed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 08:29 AM

Lezyne micro floor pump is light and it has a gage. The handle is a little small but I put it into the palm and pump using the ground to brace it like normal floor pumps. Much easier than traditional pumps.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I’m pretty sure there are a few high volume mini pumps. You can do it with any pump it could just take a long time.
I'm running 650b x 53 and chose the OneUp EDC 100cc because my triangle's already tiny. I also liked the idea of it containing my toolkit. Haven't used it in anger yet, but it got decent enough reviews for me to buy it. The pump itself feels extremely robust, and is light without the tools inside. The pump head also screws off to become your CO2 chuck.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I'm running 650b x 53 and chose the OneUp EDC 100cc because my triangle's already tiny. I also liked the idea of it containing my toolkit. Haven't used it in anger yet, but it got decent enough reviews for me to buy it. The pump itself feels extremely robust, and is light without the tools inside. The pump head also screws off to become your CO2 chuck.
This one. It kicks butt and sings to those that like quality engineering. I prefer the 70 as I don’t need the extra storage of the 100. I never did try the 100 to actually pump a tire, and recently sold it here, but the 70 has worked great with 650b. I used it once from scratch after a flat and a few times to top it up.

You can use the beautifully finished outside to clean grime from your hands by vigorously rubbing, file your nails, my daughter made music with it by the camp fire one night!, the entire pump would serve as a tactical weapon (especially with the tool inserted) in a pinch….love it.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 07-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
As i was airing up my 650x42 tires from completely empty last night with a regular floor pump, i am reminded about how much volume they hold. Started thinking about a roadside repair. i have to go measure my frame but i think i'll get a full size frame pump for the bike, but even with that, I feel like it's going to take a lot of pumping to get to usable pressure.

what's your experience with larger volume tires and roadside repairs? it's doable i'm sure, but should be an arm workout?
You're forgetting that although there is much more volume, you can get away with much less pressure. In my experience the pumping is similar to slightly easier/less with 650Bx42. You can ride those tires (or similar... panaracers) no problem with just 20ish psi. I rarely ride them with more than 3bar (what's that... 45psi?)

Now, if you were to try and get those 650b's up to 80psi+ (first, that's likely not possible as it'll exceed the limit) but that would take forever!

But, it's hardly easy to pump a 700x25 over 85-90 psi without a larger capacity handpump
Old 07-30-2021, 12:18 PM

I recently had my first flat on a tubed Rat Trap Pass 26" x 2.3". Sure I only run 30 psi, but the tubeless ready rims require ~50psi to pop the bead. 50psi with the Lenzyne frame pump was a non-starter (well, it was a starter, just not a finisher). CO2 to the rescue, but since I don't want to carry CO2 I picked up a Stompump as was recommended here. So much faster than a frame pump, the only issue is where to mount it.