Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM

I really wish I went to go see them when they came through my area a couple years back. From what I hear they always put on a tremendous show. RIP Dusty you were one of the good ones.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:42 AM

in 1974, while visiting friends in Indianapolis to attend the Indy 500, thru a series of very unlikely events, we were invited to attend the ZZ concert at Bush Stadium.

we assumed the offer was just for some free 'cheap seats,' but actually ended up with our group being allowed to drive our vehicle onto the outfield, park behind the stage, and watch the show from some really up-close vantage points.

was a pretty wild evening...was hearing-impaired for days afterwards.

years later, accepted a job offer and my office-mate was formerly a guitar tech for ZZ, he was at the Indy concert and we probably were within a few feet of each other during the performance.

small world...
Old 07-29-2021, 12:33 PM

Saw them from the water during the 1986 Liberty Weekend in New York Harbor. They performed on a barge and were part of the festivities that marked the centenary of the Statue of Liberty. That was a great, memorable concert and occasion.

RIP Dusty.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
in 1974, while visiting friends ... each other during the performance.
small world...
Great story!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Registered (ab)User

Never liked ZZ Top's music, but as a bass player I'm still touched that a guy who made such a huge impact is gone at such an early age.

But yeah, we're all getting older...it hurts whenever I see the musicians I grew up listening to and admiring leave this mortal coil, but cot day-um it sure seems to be happening more and more frequently.

Sometime in the last ~12-18 months I remember posting an obit and obligatory "RIP" for someone -- god, it's sad I can't even remember who it was now -- and after I posted it I thought "wait, the dude lived to be 97! He was ready, it was time!" As I get older I'm reaching the point where not only my heroes but also my contemporaries are kicking it, and I feel like I need to put that into perspective: 72 is too young, RIP Dusty. But if Billy Gibbons is still around in 20 years we should be celebrating his death, not lamenting it.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:38 AM
slower than you

Well, here you go. He's been replaced before the body is in the ground. The show must go on!

From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusty_Hill

Joseph Michael "Dusty" Hill (May 19, 1949 – July 27, 2021) was an American musician who was the bassist of the rock band ZZ Top. He also sang lead and backing vocals, and played keyboards. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of ZZ Top in 2004. Hill played with ZZ Top for over 50 years; after his death, he was replaced by the band's longtime guitar tech Elwood Francis, in line with Hill's wishes.

Daltrey and Townsend did the same thing when Entwistle didnt wake up from too much groupies and blow.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 AM

First real concert I ever went to was on 8/31/73 in Syracuse NY and first band that played that night was ZZ Top. Almost 50 years ago, wow. ZZ Top opened up followed by Earth Wind and Fire and then the headliners Uriah Heep. I remember that with this being my first real concert, seeing ZZ Top walk out on the stage, seeing only 3 guys and thinking they won't be that loud. 50 years later and I think my ears are still bleeding. No beards, just funky looking business suits (I think Billy's was white and Dusty's was blue) and cowboy hats. Seems like yesterday.

Last edited by A1A; 07-30-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:50 AM
slower than you

I found this album I totally missed on Spotify yesterday. It's a gem they recorded in 2012. Another Rick Rubin project. Boy, that guy gets around. Two highlights are Gotsta Get Paid, and Drive by Lover. The latter Dusty sings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Futura
Old 07-30-2021, 09:02 AM

ZZ Top had a bassist playing in Dusty's place before he died because he was sent home to recuperate and rejoin the band as soon as possible. So I would not say he was 'replaced' they had every intention of getting him back on the road.

But yeah it's show biz.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:26 AM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I found this album I totally missed on Spotify yesterday. It's a gem they recorded in 2012. Another Rick Rubin project. Boy, that guy gets around. Two highlights are Gotsta Get Paid, and Drive by Lover. The latter Dusty sings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Futura
something that blew my mind earlier this week is that “gotsta get paid” is a cover of fat pats “25 lighters”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_iTfoFLz5nA
Old 07-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
ZZ Top had a bassist playing in Dusty's place before he died because he was sent home to recuperate and rejoin the band as soon as possible. So I would not say he was 'replaced' they had every intention of getting him back on the road.

But yeah it's show biz.
They're playing tonight here in Tuscaloosa. The show must go on.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 AM

RIP.. never saw them, I'm generally too young, but I spent plenty of time listening to them and I've learned to play a couple of their songs and their stuff is really fun to play so I should probably think about more of it.

I don't think I realized till pretty recently that Dusty was singing some of the songs.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
I imagine it will be a bit of a somber show. But then death is often times a celebration of life too so I'm sure they will rock it!
Old 07-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
That's wild. I saw them in Hampton Roads (and might have dozed off a bit). It was one of the funniest concerts. We were in high school and had a house at the beach for a week. We met a bunch of hard rock zztop fangirls who were ready to roll. I would love to see them again.

(Edit: I meant see the band again, but then, I would like to see the fangirls more.)