Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 07:35 PM

Allied Alfa - Any Long-Term Riders?

I love the look of these, the BSA bottom bracket etc. - I saw a build here from last year but curious if anyone has some longer term experience with the frame? Prefer race-type bikes, tire clearance is relevant (28c on wide rims seems to be a sweet spot) - and mechanical shifting.

The cost of the mass-market stuff has gotten so high that something like this looks very reasonable, and I saw a couple in the wild the other day - very cool.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 PM
Administrator

I have ridden a lot of road bikes. I will say cautiously that this is the best road bike i have ever ridden if you take everything into account.

Any specific questions you have? I can not say enough good things about this bike.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:51 PM

I’m on my 3rd season with mine.

The bike is awesome. I have rim brakes and 11 SPD eTap. Main wheels are Belgium Plus rims and I use 28c Conti GP5000 tubeless tires. The bike is amazing. The shop I ride for became a dealer after I got mine and the owner now has one too, as do a number of others on the club. Everyone agrees that they are fantastic bikes, and the shop owner says it’s the best riding carbon bike he has even been on. This is the only Carbon bike I’ve had. But I’ve ridden a lot of different Ti and steel frames over the years. The Allied definitely is among the best I’ve been on.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:48 PM

Angry,
Would love to hear your thoughts on why this bike stands out to you. Perhaps it should be on my "bikes to own" list?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have ridden a lot of road bikes. I will say cautiously that this is the best road bike i have ever ridden if you take everything into account.

Any specific questions you have? I can not say enough good things about this bike.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:07 AM

Angry, I read your initial impressions from last year (the Search function!) and your impressions seem to be the same after a year of riding - that is good.

I'm curious about stiffness / suitability for sprinting and handling stability. Tire clearance is important to me as I like running 28s that probably measure 30-ish on wide rims (and I have disc brakes). I don't believe a bike needs to be twitchy to be racy, personally, although some differ on this point; I have a relatively "sedate" bike right now - I've ridden twitchy and frankly don't see the point. I'm heavy enough that weight is irrelevant to me (210#-ish).

Bicycling said it was a ride that disappears under you, which to me sounds nice.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
Angry, I read your initial impressions from last year (the Search function!) and your impressions seem to be the same after a year of riding - that is good.

I'm curious about stiffness / suitability for sprinting and handling stability. Tire clearance is important to me as I like running 28s that probably measure 30-ish on wide rims (and I have disc brakes). I don't believe a bike needs to be twitchy to be racy, personally, although some differ on this point; I have a relatively "sedate" bike right now - I've ridden twitchy and frankly don't see the point. I'm heavy enough that weight is irrelevant to me (210#-ish).

Bicycling said it was a ride that disappears under you, which to me sounds nice.

I’ve had my Allied Alfa rim brake for 4 years now and closing in on 10,000 miles. I don’t think I could ever sell it. Vittoria speed corsa 28s clear and I just set it up tubeless with GP5000 28s that clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytramey View Post
I’ve had my Allied Alfa rim brake for 4 years now and closing in on 10,000 miles. I don’t think I could ever sell it. Vittoria speed corsa 28s clear and I just set it up tubeless with GP5000 28s that clear.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:08 PM

Much appreciated - I'm strongly leaning in this direction and real world (vs. media) feedback is of high value. I haven't heard a bad thing said about these bikes.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:15 PM

Nice build BTW!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Much appreciated - I'm strongly leaning in this direction and real world (vs. media) feedback is of high value. I haven't heard a bad thing said about these bikes.
Not my experience and purely to play devils advocate, I’ve heard quite a few people, including people who were racing on teams that Allied sponsored, say that they were uncomfortable and jarringly stiff.

Again. Not my experience, just something I’ve heard. James Huang had a similar comment about frame stiffness in his recent Allied Echo review.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Not sure what size you are but there is a good looking 54 rim brake that’s been listed for sale on FB for a while here in Arkansas. Prob could get it for a pretty good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5551830488249/

Old 08-01-2021, 10:19 AM

I think they have to update their website or their retailer list.

This thread had me going "Hmmm....' enough to look up where a dealer/retailer might be since I"m window shopping for a friend. Clicking on the sites for 2 of them in that area, Allied didn't come up on the list of their bike brands.

Or maybe it's the shops that need to update their sites?
Old 08-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Not my experience and purely to play devils advocate, I’ve heard quite a few people, including people who were racing on teams that Allied sponsored, say that they were uncomfortable and jarringly stiff.

Again. Not my experience, just something I’ve heard. James Huang had a similar comment about frame stiffness in his recent Allied Echo review.
Seems like the allied frames are stiff compared to similar ilk, but that could be from the lack of exposed seatpost due to the level top tube

Latest echo review says

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/alli...ully-realized/
Quote:
When sprinting, there’s not the slightest hint of squishiness in the frame to sap your power, and while the ride quality is relatively firm, it’s by no means punishing. Allied says the Echo is “13% more compliant” vertically than its Allroad model, but it’s basically a wash as far as your butt is concerned. It’s even appropriately long and low in terms of positioning, too.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytramey View Post
Not sure what size you are but there is a good looking 54 rim brake that’s been listed for sale on FB for a while here in Arkansas. Prob could get it for a pretty good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5551830488249/

Oohhh that looks nice and is my size.....
Old 08-01-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I’m 6’3” and was well over 220 last season. I’m down to under 190 now. I love the Alfa. It is plenty stiff, very quick, and very comfortable, especially with 28c tubeless tires at just over 80lbs of pressure.