Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM

Didn't think of this over the weekend because I forget that you run a CK BB.
Check the conversion kit and how well seated everything is...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
regrease the seatpost
I had a similar issue -- clicking synced with pedal stroke, twice per revolution. There were lots of red herrings pointing to other things but, ultimately, re-greasing the seat post fixed it.

(It was a carbon seat post, so it was actually carbon paste, not grease.)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM

I had a very similar problem. I tried tightening and re-greasing everything I could, all to no avail. I finally took it into the shop. The mechanic rode it around the block and confirmed what I was saying and told me he'd call when he figured out what it was to give me a repair estimate.

He called later in the day to say he wasn't able to find anything wrong. He also re-tightened and greased everything, although I'm sure he got to parts that I wasn't able to reach when I tried. He said everything looked fine, no worn parts or grimy bits. After all his work the sound was gone but he never figured out the source for it. He only charged me $25 even though he put in more labor time than that because he couldn't diagnose the problem. I was happy to put in an extra contribution to the shop's pizza fund.

Sometimes weird sounds happen and then they go away.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM

The other issue I once encountered that caused clicking was the front derailleur clamp on a Lynskey Ti frame being too loose. It took some time to figure this one out, because it seemed pretty tight.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM

I've had this problem before. Once it was loose chainring bolts. Another time it was shoe laces.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 PM

I Have OCPD And It Drove Me Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Have been fighting an issue with my zank now for a while. Almost the whole way around the pedal stroke (from about 3 o'clock to about 9 o'clock) I'm getting a tactile, and slightly audible click. I can't feel/hear it when the bike is in the stand, but even getting on it and pedaling around forward or back, it's present through my foot. And it's a click click click click click as it goes around...

I've tried new pedals, I've disassembled and re-greased the freehub body and axle assembly, I've removed, cleaned, re-torqued the crank, I've wiped down the bottom bracket of any grime.. I've tried different wheels.. Really scratching my head here..

Next step is swapping the crank completely, but I don't have a spare so I've gotta putz around with two bikes at once..

Crank is a force 22 gxp with a quarq riken spider, bb is a chris king with about 600 miles on it with whatever the adapter for gxp is (conversion number 9?)
This doesn't sound exactly like what you have but I'll still share my crank click.

It wasn't always there but once started it was audible constant and I could feel it, though very lightly, through the crank.

It was my front derailleur cable end. In the smaller/inner front chain ring the derailleur moved the aluminum cable nipple end into the path of the crank. I must have bent the cable at some point to cause it. A simple bend the other way and all was well again.

I hope you find your click.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:32 AM

"I hope you find your click"
that reads like something else at a quick glance.

It happens when seated but not when standing? Seat/seatpost is what I'd suspect. Also swap out your QR skewers and wheels if possible to eliminate them. Does it click if you slip the chain off the inner chainring and just freepedal ? Failing that, BB time. Good luck finding your click.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
"I hope you find your click"
that reads like something else at a quick glance.

It happens when seated but not when standing? Seat/seatpost is what I'd suspect. Also swap out your QR skewers and wheels if possible to eliminate them. Does it click if you slip the chain off the inner chainring and just freepedal ? Failing that, BB time. Good luck finding your click.
Tightened the crank bolts, held myself over the saddle standing still, still does it, so i'm less inclined to think a saddle/seatpost issue.

It doesn't happen when I'm putting out effort -- say more than 250-300 watts -- or at least I don't notice it then.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Doesn't the quarq attach to the spider with 3 torx screws? I'd remove them, clean and grease the spline interface, and retorque them. Fixed this problem for me once.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Have been fighting an issue with my zank now for a while. Almost the whole way around the pedal stroke (from about 3 o'clock to about 9 o'clock) I'm getting a tactile, and slightly audible click. I can't feel/hear it when the bike is in the stand, but even getting on it and pedaling around forward or back, it's present through my foot. And it's a click click click click click as it goes around...

I've tried new pedals, I've disassembled and re-greased the freehub body and axle assembly, I've removed, cleaned, re-torqued the crank, I've wiped down the bottom bracket of any grime.. I've tried different wheels.. Really scratching my head here..

Next step is swapping the crank completely, but I don't have a spare so I've gotta putz around with two bikes at once..

Crank is a force 22 gxp with a quarq riken spider, bb is a chris king with about 600 miles on it with whatever the adapter for gxp is (conversion number 9?)
Rode w/o cycling shoes and if still there, swap pedals.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Rode w/o cycling shoes and if still there, swap pedals.
have done that.. i'm going to break the chain tonight and pedal around without it and see...
Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

You've checked that the cable isn't hitting the crank, right?

Before disassembling things, check to see how tight your QRs are. Lots of times a 'BB creak/noise' is loose QRs

HTH

M
Old 07-14-2019, 05:58 AM

I’m not going to bet the farm on it, but in my cleaning I hadn’t remembered to take off the “stepped disc ring” from the inside of the crank. When I did, I found it full of grime, and when I tried to clean it out, it cracked. So, I’m going to guess this could be the culprit.

(I broke the chain to see what was good, with no other drivetrain components active it was still clicking, so it’s definitely crank/bb)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Powermeter

Is the chassis of the powermeter adequately tightened on the cranks?
Also- is the interface between the chassis and crank cleaned and greased?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
I've tried different wheels.
In which case I have nothing further to add besides commiseration. But fwiw, on today's ride I encountered an alarmingly loud regular clicking -- which later in the ride evolved into a crunching (!) -- once per revolution, regardless of what chainring or cog I was in. Didn't happen when I coasted. Happened at exactly the same spot in the crank's revolution (NDS crank @ 9 or 10 o'clock).

So I am absolutely convinced it's gotta be the crankset (maybe chainring bolts) or the bottom bracket ...because how else would it occur in exactly the same spot in the crank's revolution, in any gear combination, and not when coasting, right?

Stopped mid-ride at a bike shop just to get the mechanic's opinion. Told him I didn't want him to fix it, just wanted him to confirm my diagnosis. He takes the bike for a spin around the parking lot, comes back & says it could be the bottom bracket, but then has a conversation in Spanish with his boss while pointing to my front wheel. His boss takes my bike for a spin around the parking lot, comes back and says "Your front hub has some play in it."

Okay, he shows me that my front hub indeed does have some play in it...but that couldn't be making this regular, predictable, alarmingly loud clicking/crunching, because then how do you explain it occuring in exactly the same spot in the crank's revolution, in any gear combination, and not when coasting, right?

So I get home and swap out the wheelset and go for a short ride.

The noise is completely gone.

So what the hell do I know? ::dancing banana::