Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM

What is the limitation of the Poprad? I was thinking about upgrading from mine, but with CX 8.4's it stops on a dime. Wish it could fit bigger than 35c tires, but it's great for 95% of what I want to ride. If I need more cush I could just take out the 650b converted MTB.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
What is the limitation of the Poprad?
in my mind, the biggest thing that an "upgrade" would do better than the Poprad is weight.

i personally dont have any problems with rim brakes and older technology, and weight is not generally a big concern with a gravel bike, but if one is spending LONG days in the saddle and traversing over lots of elevation, a lighter bike WILL make a difference, no doubt.

the poprad is an iconic do-it-all bike that is super capable for what it is, but it's heavy. swapping to an alloy frame with carbon fork and more modern drivetrain and wheels is going to save a good chunk of weight, and that will be noticeable.

in my experience/opinion.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 AM
undermyfeat...

That's pretty much what I've been feeling. The poprad is great for a lot of what I do and has always served me well but on longer harder days it rides like what it is - a heavier, older steel bike with early cross ideas in the design. It doesn't help at all that I also travel "heavy" being one of those guys that has something for almost any situation in his seat bag. Don't get me wrong, it can be a great ride some days but also being and older cyclist now, the lighter rig is another advantage that I feel I should consider.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Got it. It is not great at carrying a load either, although I have a few tours on it.
Upgrade away, let me live vicariously threw you!
Old 06-29-2019, 07:30 AM
undermyfeat...

A lot of these fit the bill for most of my needs. Someone else that I know also recommended the crocket. One of the differences that I noticed with it is that Trek seems to have made an attempt to smooth those unsightly welds that I just hate.
Yesterday someone else mentioned the All City Gorilla Monsoon. Looks like a decent bike and fits most of my criteria but may not be much lighter than my poprad. Does anyone here have one?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
...As to the issue of mechanical discs - I have no issue with the cantis on my poprad. I usually try to work on my bikes myself as much as possible and I assumed that a mechanical disc brake would be a simpler fix if I had an issue.

Truth be told, I'm really on the fence with this. There are generally equal pros and cons to retiring the poprad. I have taken the drivetrain about as far as it can go with Campy - I'm not gaining much with a 1x except for shedding the pesky triple front derailleur and crankset. A Sram setup would be nice for a change of pace but the Campy has generally worked well...
Campy Potenza has a hydraulic disc version. Not sure if that will allow you to stay within the original budget, but you can stay with Campy if you want.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Daniel

How much (and what size) tire do you want to run? Even at 6'1", I'm a big 650B evangelist (although I have a lot of 700C still and a 27" tandem) and the current crop of gravel bikes seem to use 47mm 650B, especially WTB tires as the platform. Is that what you want?

All that said, my buddy who is about 5'6" rides and loves his Fuji Jari with 700C WTB Resolutes. And the owner of my LBS when I lived in NorCal rode one, too and raved about. They each did various upgrades. My buddy out D/A 11s on his, the LBSer put a dropper post on his.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 02:36 PM
undermyfeat...

I’d prefer to stay with 700. So many tires...
I will look at the Fuji.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 03:26 PM

I like the Kona Rove suggestion. Seems like good fit here. I had considered that one myself earlier this year.

FWIW, I’ve had nothing but good experience with Avid BB7 and TRP Spyre mech disc brakes (multiple bikes with both). Hydros are better, but both are excellent brakes.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM

I will throw in the Marin Gestalt X10. My buddy's shop recently started carrying them, and it seems like a very cleverly designed bike at a reasonable price.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/201...ad-gestalt-x10
Old 06-30-2019, 03:54 PM

Very happy with my Rove ST. Definitely worth a look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-30 13.53.30.jpg (161.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
+1 Mechanical discs aren't an upgrade. Slapping a pair of CX8.4s on your Poprad will give you better braking

OP If you're worried about bleeding, take it to a shop the first time. It's an easy process but is definitely the kind of thing that requires some new tools and a desire to learn something new.

Good luck!
Even better: find a disc fork and try a mechanical disc, then a hydro disc and decide which you like better. Doesn't have to be a fancy fork...

M
Old 07-01-2019, 08:24 AM

Check out the Norco Search XR Steel. I picked one up for myself and my wife and have been very impressed with build and features. Has rack mounts, fender mounts and additional cage mounts on the fork. Very versatile from gravel racing to bike packing.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/dirt-dro...arch-xr-steel/
Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
undermyfeat...

Thanks I will take a look.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:15 PM

I also love my Kona, a little loaded or not. I did have to replace the stem, seam and bars but otherwise love it out of the box:

my other gravely bike is a 2008 disc poprad that I love even more though...

Last edited by Geeheeb; 07-01-2019 at 12:18 PM.