Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 PM
undermyfeat...

Gravel bike input?

Hi all,
After several years with my 2001 poprad I am considering coming into the modern age. I have been looking and have seen many variations on the gravel/multi use theme. I'd appreciate any input on what you all might recommend and why.
Here are my preferences;
Aluminum or cro-mo, carbon fork is fine.
Mechanical disc not hydraulic.
Fender & rack mounts would be great but not a necessity.
1x drivetrain. Rival seems to fit the bill.
Around $2000.

A bit of my backround;
I am 5.9, 150 lbs.
I do a couple of organized gravel rides each year but overall enjoy riding dirt roads and light trails - no mountain biking.
I don't race. I am fit but usually don't ride aggressively.
This bike will probably let me thin the herd by 2.
Everything that I have now has Campy. this will be my first foray into disc brakes and (probably) Sram.

I've seen so many options to date. Any personal favorites with details would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Kona Rove ST is really nice for under budget.

http://konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm

Steel frame/fork
Rival 1
Mechanical brakes
Fender + rack mounts
12mm thru axles front + rear
Tubeless ready 650b wheels with 47mm tires
3 sets of bottle cage mounts

The Sutra LTD is the same frame but with 700c wheels. It comes with Rival 1 Hydraulic, though.

Last edited by jtbadge; 06-24-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM
ZhugeLiang

Or a Salsa Journeyman

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...eyman_sora_650

Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Trek Crockett

I’d buy a Crockett. I think you can do it for your price and have money left over, other alternative is Specialized Diverge, DSW ought to work for the money you have

Ray
Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Since I am a massive Ritchey fan, my vote is the Ritchey Outback. I think you could build one out for inside your price range.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 PM

another Chapman...
Old 06-24-2019, 09:44 PM

As a general recommendation I'd recommend you consider purchasing a frameset that uses a regular 1 1/8" steerer and normal headtube. The majority of the current crop of gravel bikes have 1 1/4" if not large steerers and this makes for an intolerably stiff ride, IME.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 AM

Random suggestion... get a Giant Cross City. The alloy ones are actually really, really good.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM

Why mechanical discs? For affordability? Hydros are so much better it’s not even a comparison TRP’s are the best of the mechanical disc brakes but still far below hydraulic.

If it wasn’t for tire size, rim brakes are equal to mechanical w/o the squeaky annoying noise.

Why someone hasn’t come out with a proper gravel bike with canti brakes is beyond me. I bet there’s a strong market for such
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Why mechanical discs? For affordability? Hydros are so much better it’s not even a comparison TRP’s are the best of the mechanical disc brakes but still far below hydraulic.

If it wasn’t for tire size, rim brakes are equal to mechanical w/o the squeaky annoying noise.
+1 Mechanical discs aren't an upgrade. Slapping a pair of CX8.4s on your Poprad will give you better braking

OP If you're worried about bleeding, take it to a shop the first time. It's an easy process but is definitely the kind of thing that requires some new tools and a desire to learn something new.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Why someone hasn’t come out with a proper gravel bike with canti brakes is beyond me. I bet there’s a strong market for such
Marketeers everywhere would be getting out their pitch forks and torches..Would a well made GRoad bike work well with proper cantis, etc? Of course but the manufacturers are all in on discs....for better or ill. I just bought a Cleary 24inch Meerkat for by 8 year old grand daughter..if would be FINE with cantis but it has wet disc brakes.......
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM
undermyfeat...

Thanks everyone,
You've given me a bit of research to do on this rainy afternoon.
As to the issue of mechanical discs - I have no issue with the cantis on my poprad. I usually try to work on my bikes myself as much as possible and I assumed that a mechanical disc brake would be a simpler fix if I had an issue.

Truth be told, I'm really on the fence with this. There are generally equal pros and cons to retiring the poprad. I have taken the drivetrain about as far as it can go with Campy - I'm not gaining much with a 1x except for shedding the pesky triple front derailleur and crankset. A Sram setup would be nice for a change of pace but the Campy has generally worked well. As I mentioned, I would probably let another bike out of the group besides the poprad. The new bike would most likely fulfill the uses of both. That would give me a little breathing room downstairs and cut down on my maintenance time.

Any more thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks again
Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
There are tons of canti brake bikes for cheap on ebay that suggest that there isn't much of a market here.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 AM

I realize you said 1x and mechanical brakes, but the Cannondale Topstone 105 bike is such a value that I think you should give it a look. (and I ride for a Specialized shop)

Especially if you are looking for this bike for multiple purposes, a 2x drivetrain will probably be beneficial.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM

proprad

I think an upgrade is a good path. I love my Trek Crockett, but I have an IF Planet X that is equal to the challenge. I have SRAM 1X, rides great.